View Poll Results: Is it acceptable for the man to stay at home raising the kids while the woman works?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes it is acceptable for the man to stay at home raising the kids.

    85 95.51%
  • No, the man that stays at home while the woman works is a lazy bum!

    4 4.49%
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 162

Thread: Stay at home dads.

  1. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Stay at home dads.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Only an insecure pussy who defines his manhood based on projecting an image rather than basing it on substance would have a problem with it.
    Not at all, Tucker. See, some of us believe that it's not about "us". It's about something much larger than our individual ideas. It's about how society SHOULD run and exist, not how someone (or even the majority) WANT it to exist.


    Quote Originally Posted by RDS View Post
    But but your prospective president wants mothers to work or lose benefits.
    Not MY perspective President, RDS. Romney is a moron and always has been. He's saying things he THINKS will excite the Conservative base without realizing, we already know who and what he is and tuned him out a long time ago. Besides, the things he's saying are not what we would want to hear anyway.

  2. #72
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Stay at home dads.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Not at all, Tucker. See, some of us believe that it's not about "us". It's about something much larger than our individual ideas. It's about how society SHOULD run and exist, not how someone (or even the majority) WANT it to exist.
    I like how you say "not at all" about my claim while simultaneously providing evidence that it is accurate.

    When someone is insecure in their their subjective view, the first thing that they do is pretend that it's not "merely" their subjective view by making up a fantasy about it being the "objective TRUTH" about reality, i.e. how things SHOULD be rather than "just" being how they WANT it to be.

    Such nonsense absolutely screams insecurity.

    A person who has that view can blame their failures on fate or bad luck or whatever they choose to blame their failures on. They wallow in the victim mentality when reality doesn't match up with their fantasy of how reality "should be". Thus, they end up clinging to the image thy seek to present rather than accomplishing anything of actual worth.

    Confident people, however, can accept their failures as their own, treat those failures like learning experiences, grow from them, and then actually make some progress towards accomplishing their goals in life.

    Confident, secure people don't fear admitting that their views are subjectively derived because they are confident and secure. They don't consider the subjective nature of their views to be a detriment to those views. In fact, they see that as a benefit. Because they are confident in themselves. They are secure.

    Only someone who is insecure in themselves would think that they'd need to invent an outside source for their perspective. They can only reach that kind of conclusion if the foundational premise that they are using is that they (as an individual) are not a good enough source for such a perspective to be sound. they believe that in order for such a perspective to have worth, it cannot come from them and them alone because they do not perceive themselves as worthy enough to present anything of value.

    And this perspective is often totally unconscious. It's so ingrained that they aren't even aware of it. It becomes the untested and unquestioned assumption inherent to all of their perspectives on life and society.

    If you really want to test someone's confidence, ask them how they think the society SHOULD be. Then, after they give their description of their Utopian society say "Of course, that's just your opinion of how things should be."

    The insecure person will say "No, that's just how it SHOULD be" and the secure person will say "Of course it's my opinion. And it's a damned sight better than any other opinion I've encountered on the matter."
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  3. #73
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,040

    Re: Stay at home dads.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    FFA, I'm all for one parent staying home with the kids while the other one works.... so long as it's the right parent staying home and the right parent working.
    Both parents are working even if one is staying at home. Its not like stay home parents are just lazying about licking their balls like the pet dog. Plus it is the parents decision not yours, so it really does not matter what you think should be going on with other peoples liberty. Are you suggesting that Government should force parents to keep the right parent home?

    In the end you are only expressing your opinion since you have no power to enforce your ideas on other people.

  4. #74
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Stay at home dads.

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    Both parents are working even if one is staying at home. Its not like stay home parents are just lazying about licking their balls like the pet dog. Plus it is the parents decision not yours, so it really does not matter what you think should be going on with other peoples liberty. Are you suggesting that Government should force parents to keep the right parent home?
    I never said that a stay at home parent is lazy. Trust me, I think the exact opposite.

    As to the bolded sentence..... YES, if necessary to ensure that society continues to operate in its proper order.

  5. #75
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Stay at home dads.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    I never said that a stay at home parent is lazy. Trust me, I think the exact opposite.

    As to the bolded sentence..... YES, if necessary to ensure that society continues to operate in its proper order.
    Wasn't there an episode where the real Tigger lost a bet (to Piglet, IIRC) and wasn't allowed to bounce... and had to conform to what somebody else wanted... and was a very sad Tigger?

  6. #76
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Stay at home dads.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    As to the bolded sentence..... YES, if necessary to ensure that society continues to operate in its proper order.
    So just how do you determine just who the "right parent" is? Surely you don't think that it should be based on gender. I've seen some horrible mothers and great dads and visa versa.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  7. #77
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Stay at home dads.

    Whatever works for the family should be the method that family chooses. If it makes more sense and satisfies the needs of both partners, then do it. If the kids benefit from it, then do it.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  8. #78
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,077

    Re: Stay at home dads.

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Whatever works for the family should be the method that family chooses. If it makes more sense and satisfies the needs of both partners, then do it. If the kids benefit from it, then do it.
    that's the key right there. it's not about your self-actualization any more when you have kids.

  9. #79
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Stay at home dads.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    So just how do you determine just who the "right parent" is? Surely you don't think that it should be based on gender. I've seen some horrible mothers and great dads and visa versa.
    I've seen terrible and wonderful parents of both genders. Of course what makes a great Dad doesn't really make a great Mom and vice versa. I am and always have been in favor of licensing Parents the same way we do drivers and gun owners.

  10. #80
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,273
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Stay at home dads.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    I've seen terrible and wonderful parents of both genders. Of course what makes a great Dad doesn't really make a great Mom and vice versa. I am and always have been in favor of licensing Parents the same way we do drivers and gun owners.
    If that was the case, I would hope a sanity meter would be part of the licensing evaluation, that way you'd never be allowed to procreate.

    Which would make us all feel a little safer for the future.

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •