View Poll Results: Is it acceptable for the man to stay at home raising the kids while the woman works?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes it is acceptable for the man to stay at home raising the kids.

    85 95.51%
  • No, the man that stays at home while the woman works is a lazy bum!

    4 4.49%
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 162

Thread: Stay at home dads.

  1. #111
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Stay at home dads.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Appropriately is defined by the accepted morals and values of the society, which in my mind are the same ones that were largely in existance in this nation until the beginning decades of the 20th century.
    Have you ever considered moving to an Amish community?

  2. #112
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Stay at home dads.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Woul you like me to prove that 2+2=4, that Gravity exists, and that the Earth rotates around the Sun instead of the other way around, while I'm at it TC?
    Of course not. I want you to provide specific examples of these gender-based tools you claim exist. Only an idiot would think that was a question about arithmetic or astrophysics.

    You made a claim that something exists so slap on a pair of balls and support that claim. You see what I did there?

    I do not see any need to back up anything. I'm not here to prove anything to you or to change your mind. You can feel free to do whatever you like with my viewpoints on things. That's your concern, not mine. What I am definitely not going to do is waste my time explaining very basic, simple concepts that anyone with a minimal amount of observational powers can see and comprehend for themselves to you, TC.
    I figured you'd be too scared to actually man up and support your claim. It's your M.O.

    Running away and hiding from a challenge is such a manly trait, isn't it?
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  3. #113
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,151

    Re: Stay at home dads.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Considering that my relatives were among those sheding their own (and others) blood to build this nation, I'll be much more concerned with my viewpoint on it than yours.
    So you basically have no respect for what they fought for. Nice.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  4. #114
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Stay at home dads.

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    So you basically have no respect for what they fought for. Nice.
    What's worse is that he's taking credit for their actions as though he did something other than simply not dribbling down his mama's thigh one night after daddy got randy.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  5. #115
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Stay at home dads.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    What do you think? Is it acceptable for the man to stay at home raising the kids while the woman works? Or is the man just a lazy bum (a phrase that I hear often when refering to stay at home dads) that should get off his butt and get a job?
    Depends entirely on the circumstances of the relationship. That's between husband and wife, and no one else. I don't personally agree with it, but I'm also an unmarriable man-whore, so to each their own.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  6. #116
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Stay at home dads.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    It's not about equal or unequal. It's about using the right tool for the job. If I need to put a nail into a piece of wood and I have two choices on which tool to use, a hammer and a wrench; which one should I pick? The hammer obviously. Now, I bet that with enough time and motivation, I could use that wrench like a hammer, but it was not made for that task and it will not do the job anywhere near as efficiently as the hammer will.
    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Kids are resilient, yes. Kids are also impressionable.

    Disagree. In an overall general sense, there are exceptions. The notion that it doesn't matter is our current social construct.

    A father can indeed be a nurturer, and a damn good one, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. And visa-versa regarding mothers being the providers. But, it is the exception to nature's rule, not the norm. Every species has defined roles for nurturing and providing, and the human species is no different, except in the ability to think and adapt their surroundings if necessary. To pretend otherwise is tantamount to hiding one's head in the sand.

    Yes they do, and not it doesn't... and we as a society lose something because of it.

    There is ample evidence that they just might be confused and have trouble functioning.

    Both of you - and others with your same views:

    That's stupid. . . your thinking is what led to an elderly woman crying at the DMV the other week out of confusion and frustration because her husband did 'all that manly car stuff' and when he was sick and in the hospital in his later years she suddenly had to figure out something she knew nothing about.

    Your way of thinking keeps men and women in the blind, ignorant and incapable dark - and when the yneed to fulfill a purpose at some point (as we all will have to do) - then they won't know *what* to do.

    My husband spends SO much of his time dedicated to the military for a career that I've had to fill in *all* the other holes - parent, mechanic, home maintenance - everything - AND I even help him out with certain things regarding *his* employment such as writing reports (because he can't type) and filing paperwork (because he's so busy he doesn't have tme for everything that even he has to do)

    The notion that there are some jobs that only women can/should do and that some jobs only men can/should do just creates a life in which things will just go undone if they sat around waiting for the right gender to have the time.

    I've remodeled my entire house, taken care of the kids, I'm getting through college, I've even built a damn fence (For which I used a power drill - not a hammer - to assemble because I know the right and wrong way to do something), my husband's car gets it's juice, mine gets it's routine maintenance and the lawn still gets mowed and the blades are still changed out when needed - and dinner's still on the table.

    And when I have my upcoming surgery my husband will do *all of that stuff* as best as he can without any of my help.

    This pathetic notion that everyone has what they "should" do doesn't coincide with reality in which stuff MUST get done - regardless of WHO is there to do it.
    Last edited by Aunt Spiker; 04-18-12 at 04:01 PM.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  7. #117
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Stay at home dads.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Both of you - and others with your same views:

    That's stupid. . . your thinking is what led to an elderly woman crying at the DMV the other week out of confusion and frustration because her husband did 'all that manly car stuff' and when he was sick and in the hospital in his later years she suddenly had to figure out something she knew nothing about.

    Your way of thinking keeps men and women in the blind, ignorant and incapable dark - and when the yneed to fulfill a purpose at some point (as we all will have to do) - then they won't know *what* to do.

    My husband spends SO much of his time dedicated to the military for a career that I've had to fill in *all* the other holes - parent, mechanic, home maintenance - everything - AND I even help him out with certain things regarding *his* employment such as writing reports (because he can't type) and filing paperwork (because he's so busy he doesn't have tme for everything that even he has to do)

    The notion that there are some jobs that only women can/should do and that some jobs only men can/should do just creates a life in which things will just go undone if they sat around waiting for the right gender to have the time.

    I've remodeled my entire house, taken care of the kids, I'm getting through college, I've even built a damn fence (For which I used a power drill - not a hammer - to assemble because I know the right and wrong way to do something), my husband's car gets it's juice, mine gets it's routine maintenance and the lawn still gets mowed and the blades are still changed out when needed - and dinner's still on the table.

    And when I have my upcoming surgery my husband will do *all of that stuff* as best as he can without any of my help.

    This pathetic notion that everyone has what they "should" do doesn't coincide with reality in which stuff MUST get done - regardless of WHO is there to do it.
    No, it's not stupid. It's nature. A general rule, but not an absolute rule. Your individual experiences won't automatically apply and does not negate the general rule.

  8. #118
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Stay at home dads.

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    No, it's not stupid. It's nature. A general rule, but not an absolute rule. Your individual experiences won't automatically apply and does not negate the general rule.
    It is a general rule - as is obvious by the fact that not everyone (culture-wise: throughout history) has done such.

    The idea of being a "Stay at Home Mom" is pure luxury and is most often found in stratified societies. . . Smaller scale societies that are ranked or egalitarian don't have a "stay at home parent" - they have divisions of labor but no one just 'stays at home' with the kids - if anything - their division of labor is done so in a way that incorporates children into their daily life / work habits (such as being able to take the kids farming in the field, etc)
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  9. #119
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Stay at home dads.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    You made a claim that something exists so slap on a pair of balls and support that claim. You see what I did there?
    Do I really have to explain basic biology to you, TC? Exactly how much milk can you get out of YOUR tits? Do you have hips naturally designed and shaped to carry children both prior to birth and after? If you do, I think you might want to see your physician. The natural parental instincts, the willingness to put the betterment of the child ahead of themselves, etc... exist much more powerfully in women than in Men. These are all because NATURE designed WOMEN to raise the children, not the Men. I'm sorry if you're too ****ing moronic to be able to figure these things out on your own.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    I figured you'd be too scared to actually man up and support your claim. It's your M.O. Running away and hiding from a challenge is such a manly trait, isn't it?
    One of the differences between us is that you seem to have this mentality that you give a **** what other people think of you and your views. I don't. I see no point in wasting my time trying to explain basic common sense, reason, and logic to people. If you don't get it naturally, you're probably not going to.


    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    So you basically have no respect for what they fought for. Nice.
    No. I just have a very different vision of what they were fighting for than most people do. This vision has been passed down in my family for generations. All the way back from the members of my family who fought in the Revolution, lynched a Tory/Loyalist in Essex, CT in the 1790's, and fought for the Confederacy even though they were from Connecticut.


    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Both of you - and others with your same views:

    That's stupid. . . your thinking is what led to an elderly woman crying at the DMV the other week out of confusion and frustration because her husband did 'all that manly car stuff' and when he was sick and in the hospital in his later years she suddenly had to figure out something she knew nothing about.

    Your way of thinking keeps men and women in the blind, ignorant and incapable dark - and when the yneed to fulfill a purpose at some point (as we all will have to do) - then they won't know *what* to do.
    Auntie, neither one of my grandmothers drove a day in their lives. Neither one of them held a paying job at any point in their lives. They stayed home, kept the house and raised the kids and never complained about it. They died in 1989 and 1992 respectively, so we're not exactly talking ancient times, here.

  10. #120
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,041

    Re: Stay at home dads.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Appropriately is defined by the accepted morals and values of the society, which in my mind are the same ones that were largely in existance in this nation until the beginning decades of the 20th century.




    Considering that my relatives were among those sheding their own (and others) blood to build this nation, I'll be much more concerned with my viewpoint on it than yours.




    If that's what's necessary to ensure a proper society and culture then so be it. It's not my preference, but considering the inability of the average American to live anything even remotely close to a decent life these days maybe it's what we need.



    Ah, but just like "democracies", they all have subtle differences that need to be looked into when making such a decision.



    Go ahead and laugh. I stopped concerning myself with what anyone thought of me or my views about the time I was in first grade, so that really means nothing to me. Besides, a man with the means and willingness to act is never irrelevant in the long run.
    Good luck getting other Americans to get behind an dictatorship. Or I should say good luck getting sane Americans to rally behind you. Just like Communism Americans wont go willing, you are simply underestimating Americans and our resolve to stop Authoritarian movements home and abroad.

    I have an idea, could the extreme Right and the occupiers go slug it out in another country and leave us Americans at home in peace?

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •