View Poll Results: Is it acceptable for the man to stay at home raising the kids while the woman works?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes it is acceptable for the man to stay at home raising the kids.

    85 95.51%
  • No, the man that stays at home while the woman works is a lazy bum!

    4 4.49%
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 162

Thread: Stay at home dads.

  1. #101
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Stay at home dads.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Whereas I feel that Freedom and Liberty are Privileges that should be handed out to those who have PROVEN they can speak, think, and act appropriately; nothing more. The US Constitution ceased to have any significant value when Abraham Lincoln took it to the outhouse and used it to wipe his butt from 1860-1865. It hasn't had any significant value since then.



    Trust me, I keep looking for somewhere else to go.



    Whereas I refuse to support ANY movement (poitical or otherwise) that suggest that what one WANTS to do is more important than what one SHOULD do.
    You can go to the wilds of Alaska, Tigger.
    NPR did an excellent documentary on a man who did exactly this..He was highly intelligent and was able to survive nearly all by himself.
    Then , for those a little less brave/foolish, there is Idaho, the home of some right wing extremists.
    The second sentence, the word "appropriately"
    Please define..
    Particularly...for whom.....

  2. #102
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,125

    Re: Stay at home dads.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Actually, No. The only two decent things Lincoln did during his time in office were the Emancipation Proclaimation and accepting that invitation to the Ford Theater that night. My issues with Lincoln have to do with carrying out an aggressive war against a sovereign nation without cause or justification. In doing so, by the way that war was conducted, and through the precedents set by his actions Lincoln destroyed everything that I believe this nation was designed to be from the start.
    Considering your stated opinion that you'd prefer a facist dictatorship to democracy, excuse me if I don't care what you think about what "this nation was designed to be from the start."


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  3. #103
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Stay at home dads.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    What tools (be specific) make it a woman's job to stay home with the kids, and what tools (be specific) make it a man's job not to?

    Also, why not get a nailgun? It's far more efficient.

    There are no tools, but I will say this with personal conviction....when I was a kid and when most kids got home from school their mothers were there and NOTHING can compare to seeing mom when you open the door.....
    I disagree with you on another point Tucker...you claim men and women are equal...I disagree...they are equal in some aspects and not equal in others and men or woman can be better at different aspects of child rearing.
    Im sure you realize the difference in which children view mom and dad...and theres times when nothing can replace mom rubbing your forhead and others just being with dad and feeling safe.

  4. #104
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:38 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Stay at home dads.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Adults make things confusing - kids are good with anything.
    Kids are resilient, yes. Kids are also impressionable.


    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Moms are not the nurterers - Dads are not the providers on some natural instinct level. This is our social construct. Which actually doesn't exist these days to MOST people.
    Disagree. In an overall general sense, there are exceptions. The notion that it doesn't matter is our current social construct.

    A father can indeed be a nurturer, and a damn good one, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. And visa-versa regarding mothers being the providers. But, it is the exception to nature's rule, not the norm. Every species has defined roles for nurturing and providing, and the human species is no different, except in the ability to think and adapt their surroundings if necessary. To pretend otherwise is tantamount to hiding one's head in the sand.


    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    A lot of kids - a vast populous of children in this country - grow up without a mom or dad, or with their parents divorced and remarried so they have a mom / mom and dad . . .the notion of this idyllic nuclear family doesn't exist at all in the minds of millions of children.
    Yes they do, and not it doesn't... and we as a society lose something because of it.


    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Are they confused and unable to function or something?
    There is ample evidence that they just might be confused and have trouble functioning.

  5. #105
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,038

    Re: Stay at home dads.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Actually, No. The only two decent things Lincoln did during his time in office were the Emancipation Proclaimation and accepting that invitation to the Ford Theater that night. My issues with Lincoln have to do with carrying out an aggressive war against a sovereign nation without cause or justification. In doing so, by the way that war was conducted, and through the precedents set by his actions Lincoln destroyed everything that I believe this nation was designed to be from the start.
    Did you miss this part? Yes in a dictatorship one needs to prove themselves to gain what the Constitution deems inalienable rights. Natural rights are not privileges to be earned but rights that every American is born with. Since you do not understand the basic concept of inalienable rights I bet you have an interesting reason why you believe that the Constitution has been in your opinion insignificant since Lincoln.
    The question that you answered was rhetorical. What you did ignore was me implicating that you want an dictatorship instead of liberty and freedom.



    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Trust me, I'd love to be gone from this wretched hive of scum and villiany.
    It is good of to recognize that you do not belong in America. There are plenty of dictatorships in the world to chose from.



    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    On that we will have to disagree, completely.
    The problem for you though is that history, the Constitution, and common knowledge back my claim up that liberty and freedom are natural rights and not privileges. So continue with your delusional outlook of this country is you wish. The rest of will just laugh at you and shack our heads at your irrelevance.

  6. #106
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,038

    Re: Stay at home dads.

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    There are no tools, but I will say this with personal conviction....when I was a kid and when most kids got home from school their mothers were there and NOTHING can compare to seeing mom when you open the door.....
    I disagree with you on another point Tucker...you claim men and women are equal...I disagree...they are equal in some aspects and not equal in others and men or woman can be better at different aspects of child rearing.
    Im sure you realize the difference in which children view mom and dad...and theres times when nothing can replace mom rubbing your forhead and others just being with dad and feeling safe.
    Your personal experience with a home life and what you think it should be is not what everyone else perceives. After all we are all unique individuals with our own experiences. Stereotypical cookie cutter families have always been rare. In reality Ozzy and Harriet was an oddity of fictional wishful thinking. In reality at that time there was a completely different reality in the real world. Just as there always has been. Between single parents and wars (and countess other factors) the traditional family never really was mainstream.

  7. #107
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Stay at home dads.

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    The second sentence, the word "appropriately" Please define.. Particularly...for whom.....
    Appropriately is defined by the accepted morals and values of the society, which in my mind are the same ones that were largely in existance in this nation until the beginning decades of the 20th century.


    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Considering your stated opinion that you'd prefer a facist dictatorship to democracy, excuse me if I don't care what you think about what "this nation was designed to be from the start."
    Considering that my relatives were among those sheding their own (and others) blood to build this nation, I'll be much more concerned with my viewpoint on it than yours.


    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    The question that you answered was rhetorical. What you did ignore was me implicating that you want an dictatorship instead of liberty and freedom.
    If that's what's necessary to ensure a proper society and culture then so be it. It's not my preference, but considering the inability of the average American to live anything even remotely close to a decent life these days maybe it's what we need.

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    It is good of to recognize that you do not belong in America. There are plenty of dictatorships in the world to chose from.
    Ah, but just like "democracies", they all have subtle differences that need to be looked into when making such a decision.

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    The problem for you though is that history, the Constitution, and common knowledge back my claim up that liberty and freedom are natural rights and not privileges. So continue with your delusional outlook of this country is you wish. The rest of will just laugh at you and shack our heads at your irrelevance.
    Go ahead and laugh. I stopped concerning myself with what anyone thought of me or my views about the time I was in first grade, so that really means nothing to me. Besides, a man with the means and willingness to act is never irrelevant in the long run.

  8. #108
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Stay at home dads.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Tucker, if I really have to explain to you the physical and psychological characteristics of women that make them superior at raising children, then there's probably really no point in us continuing this conversation. I might suggest a basic biology textbook or something along those lines.
    Ah, so you don't have the capacity to actually give any specific examples.

    Does is ever actually bother you that you don't even have the minimal competencies necessary to back up your bull**** claims?


    In the case of every couple I know that has children, the mother is the one who will hear/see things going on that the father is totally oblivious to. Even in the few cases where dad is the stay-home parent.
    So? I mean, I get it, you believe that being a light sleeper is, somehow, a requirement for being a stay at home parent. The question is why the hell would you think something so profoundly stupid?

    I mean, even if the mother was out working while the father stayed at home with the kids, she'd still be a light sleeper at night when both parents are at home.

    And what if the mother has a hearing impairment? Does that mean she can't stay home with the kids? In that case, the father would be the superior one at knowing when the kids were making noise.

    Not only that, but if a light sleeping mother wakes up and beats the **** out of the kids, while the deep sleeping father actually took care of their problems when they eventually woke up, it's not like the mother is actually being more nurturing.

    But she did wake up. I mean, that definitely makes her more fit to take care of the kids during the day, right? By your standards, at least.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  9. #109
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Stay at home dads.

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    There are no tools, but I will say this with personal conviction....when I was a kid and when most kids got home from school their mothers were there and NOTHING can compare to seeing mom when you open the door.....
    I disagree with you on another point Tucker...you claim men and women are equal...I disagree...they are equal in some aspects and not equal in others and men or woman can be better at different aspects of child rearing.
    Im sure you realize the difference in which children view mom and dad...and theres times when nothing can replace mom rubbing your forhead and others just being with dad and feeling safe.
    I would say that all of the differences are actually a product of people living up to cultural expectations rather than intrinsic differences between the genders.

    I've seen the reverse of cultural norms work very well in healthy, functional families and I've seen the "norms" in highly dysfunctional families. In fact, families that tend to have the stereotypical norms also tend to have very high rates of dysfunction due to overly rigid boundaries and a lack of flexibility in the family system.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  10. #110
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Stay at home dads.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Ah, so you don't have the capacity to actually give any specific examples.

    Does is ever actually bother you that you don't even have the minimal competencies necessary to back up your bull**** claims?
    Woul you like me to prove that 2+2=4, that Gravity exists, and that the Earth rotates around the Sun instead of the other way around, while I'm at it TC?

    I do not see any need to back up anything. I'm not here to prove anything to you or to change your mind. You can feel free to do whatever you like with my viewpoints on things. That's your concern, not mine. What I am definitely not going to do is waste my time explaining very basic, simple concepts that anyone with a minimal amount of observational powers can see and comprehend for themselves to you, TC.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •