View Poll Results: Your opinion of the Buffet Rule

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • It will hurt job creators

    15 30.00%
  • It will raise revenue and help the economy

    27 54.00%
  • It will promote laziness

    7 14.00%
  • It is the definition of socialism

    8 16.00%
  • It will help close the gap between the middle class and rich

    20 40.00%
  • It punishes the upper tier of social darwinism

    6 12.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 276

Thread: What are your feelings on the Buffet Rule?

  1. #121
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: What are your feelings on the Buffet Rule?

    Quote Originally Posted by mpg View Post
    I'm one of the few people who considers himself a fiscal conservative, yet is willing to accept a more progressive tax code. I support raising the rate on long term capital gains to 20%, and I also support an AMT. However, your argument has holes that you can drive a truck through.

    Firstly, you raise an interesting point when you say that rich people benefit from defense more than the rest of us, because they have more to lose. I never looked at it that way, but even if taxes weren't progressive, the rich would be paying more than the middle class, so it sounds like you're pushing the flat tax.

    Secondly, it's true that rich people use more resources, because they own companies which own things like trucks, so they use infrastructure more than the rest of us. However, we already have things like corporate taxes, truck taxes, and toll booths, so that argument doesn't hold water.

    Thirdly, you talk about tax rates going down for the rich as if that's automatically bad. That's like saying 'whatever they're paying, it isn't enough'. If you raise the rates to 100%, you kill the goose that laid the golden egg, and then you have to double the taxes on the middle class, not to mention destroying the economy in the process.
    Would you point out to me how the Bush tax cuts helped either our economy or the middle class in this country?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  2. #122
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,770

    Re: What are your feelings on the Buffet Rule?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Would you point out to me how the Bush tax cuts helped either our economy or the middle class in this country?
    You want me to explain why cutting taxes on the middle class helps the middle class???

    Do you have any comments about my post?
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

  3. #123
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: What are your feelings on the Buffet Rule?

    Quote Originally Posted by mpg View Post
    You want me to explain why cutting taxes on the middle class helps the middle class???

    Do you have any comments about my post?
    I already made my comment about your post. We have a difference of opinion on who benefits the most from the government. If the working class benefited the most, they would be doing much better than they are.

    The wealthy received far greater tax breaks than the middle class, through loopholes and reductions in tax rates on inheritance and capital gains.

    That is what is in contention, and is one of the main distinctions between the candidates positions in this election.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  4. #124
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,770

    Re: What are your feelings on the Buffet Rule?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I already made my comment about your post.
    When? Where?





    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    We have a difference of opinion on who benefits the most from the government.
    Actually we don't, and I already addressed that.





    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    If the working class benefited the most, they would be doing much better than they are.
    straw man





    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    The wealthy received far greater tax breaks than the middle class, through loopholes and reductions in tax rates on inheritance and capital gains.
    That doesn't mean that the tax code isn't progressive. The US has the most progressive tax code in the OECD.Progressive tax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    OTOH, it's easy to understand how people might see it the other way around if they're mathematically challenged.http://www.debatepolitics.com/us-par...ined-beer.html





    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    That is what is in contention, and is one of the main distinctions between the candidates positions in this election.
    I think I prefer Obama's tax plan over Romney's. I like the progressiveness of Obama's plan, but I like the lower rates of Romney's plan. I prefer to balance the budget by cutting spending.
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

  5. #125
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: What are your feelings on the Buffet Rule?

    Quote Originally Posted by mpg View Post
    When? Where?
    A little while ago. Above.




    That doesn't mean that the tax code isn't progressive. The US has the most progressive tax code in the OECD.Progressive tax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    OTOH, it's easy to understand how people might see it the other way around if they're mathematically challenged.http://www.debatepolitics.com/us-par...ined-beer.html
    I didn't say it was not progressive. It is less progressive however than at anytime since the 1960s.

    "effective tax rates for high-earning Americans are either at their lowest level since 1960 or at least very close to their lowest level."
    PolitiFact Florida | Debbie Wasserman Schultz says tax rates lowest since the 1950s for wealthy Americans



    I think I prefer Obama's tax plan over Romney's. I like the progressiveness of Obama's plan, but I like the lower rates of Romney's plan. I prefer to balance the budget by cutting spending.


    I look at it realistically. Congress is not going to cut SS and Medicare, but they will go along with Mitt's plans to increase military spending and cut revenues to pay for it. So, we end up with more debt than is already projected.

    It makes more sense to me to increase revenues and cut military spending as the president has proposed.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  6. #126
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,703

    Re: What are your feelings on the Buffet Rule?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Just the facts ma'am, "effective tax rates for high-earning Americans are either at their lowest level since 1960 or at least very close to their lowest level."

    PolitiFact Florida | Debbie Wasserman Schultz says tax rates lowest since the 1950s for wealthy Americans
    and the burden on everyone else is even lower than it was then too

    fact remains, the rich now pay a higher proportion of the federal income tax now than we did over the last 60 years


    Until you pay as much actual tax dollars as I do you have no credibility in whining that I should pay more


    Debbie Wasserman whatever is a complete 'tard. citing her is idiotic

  7. #127
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,703

    Re: What are your feelings on the Buffet Rule?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    The GOP war on Iraq was on behalf of big oil, the most profitable industry in the history of the world.

    You ought to take that crap to the conspiracy thread section where it belongs. Why did your messiah continue that war then?

  8. #128
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,596
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What are your feelings on the Buffet Rule?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Ya' just gotta' laugh....Obumble. Haven't heard that one before.
    From the mind of a child.

  9. #129
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,703

    Re: What are your feelings on the Buffet Rule?

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    From the mind of a child.
    Its not childish to call Obama descriptive names-some of which would ring up the automatic expletive deletion

    and mind of a child-not a term you ought to be throwing around

    just sayin............

  10. #130
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,770

    Re: What are your feelings on the Buffet Rule?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    It is less progressive however than at anytime since the 1960s.
    Is that good or bad? Please explain your answer.
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •