View Poll Results: Your opinion of the Buffet Rule

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • It will hurt job creators

    15 30.00%
  • It will raise revenue and help the economy

    27 54.00%
  • It will promote laziness

    7 14.00%
  • It is the definition of socialism

    8 16.00%
  • It will help close the gap between the middle class and rich

    20 40.00%
  • It punishes the upper tier of social darwinism

    6 12.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 276

Thread: What are your feelings on the Buffet Rule?

  1. #111
    Skeptical Optimist
    Rhapsody1447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Last Seen
    09-20-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,510

    Re: What are your feelings on the Buffet Rule?

    "There is an excellent correlation between giving society what it wants and making money, and almost no correlation between the desire to make money and how much money one makes." ~Dalio

  2. #112
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,260

    Re: What are your feelings on the Buffet Rule?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I don't follow you. He said the rich should pay a higher tax rate. He didn't agree to pay illegal taxes. From your own article:
    "Berkshire Hathaway Inc., this week sued the Internal Revenue Service over what it called an "illegal" $643 million tax assessment." We will have to wait to see what the court determines.

    You haven't proven it's illegal.... I guess some of the 1% are more equal than others from the 1%.



    Or, I haz a brain. Only the richest people have income that is primarily from investments. Continuing their tax breaks are of no value to the working class of this country.
    Dependent class welfare. I made my money, don't be jealous I re-invest it to make more. There are not tax "breaks" its a tax rate. try being honest for a change.



    Another extremist who doesn't believe in the rule of law, and who doesn't know the definition of forefathers.

    oh, kid, you think calling me an extremist is gonna hurt? I didn't watch your stupid video because I was on the iphone with little battery left, now I wont watch your video, because of your asinine attack.... You are far more an "extremist" than I, sir. Have a nice day.



    "Definition of FOREFATHER

    1
    : ancestor 1a
    2
    : a person of an earlier period and common heritage"
    Forefather - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

    ahh yes, I thought you were talking about the founding fathers. glad we cleared that up.,







    Reagan too much of a lefty for your taste???

    yes. his MG ban was unconstitutional for one. but then again he was also too far right for me as well.
    Last edited by ReverendHellh0und; 04-12-12 at 07:00 PM.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  3. #113
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    Re: What are your feelings on the Buffet Rule?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsody1447 View Post
    Sums it up nicely, this legislation in reality is simply an appeal to emotion and populism, not a deficit oriented solution.

  4. #114
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: What are your feelings on the Buffet Rule?

    "Obama’s plan would raise revenues to 19.2 percent of GDP. Most of that would come from people making more than $250,000 a year. Back in September, the nonpartisan Tax Policy Center ran the numbers on his proposal — which is unchanged in the budget — and they estimated that taxpayers in the bottom 20 percent would pay an average federal tax rate of 1.8 percent, those in the middle 20 percent would pay 15.2 percent, and the top 1 percent would pay 36.3 percent.

    Romney’s plan cuts taxes to about 17 percent of GDP. Most of those cuts would accrue to upper-income Americans. According to the Tax Policy Center, under Romney’s plan, taxpayers in the bottom 20 percent would pay a rate of 3.4 percent, those in the middle 20 percent would pay a rate of 15.6 percent, and the top 1 percent would pay 25.9 percent."



    Comparing taxes under Obama’s and Romney’s budgets - The Washington Post
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  5. #115
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: What are your feelings on the Buffet Rule?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLastIndependent View Post
    As you know, Congress will be taking a look at the Buffet rule in the upcoming days. How do you feel about it?
    I think everyone should pay the same tax percentage.I think people who exploit the tax system to deliberately pass less like Buffet himself and those who exploit the tax system to not pay any taxes at all like the 50% of American households have no business whining how others are not paying their fair share. So **** Buffet and **** all those green with envy chumps whining how the rich are not paying their fair share when they themselves do not pay their fair share.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  6. #116
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: What are your feelings on the Buffet Rule?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I think everyone should pay the same tax percentage.I think people who exploit the tax system to deliberately pass less like Buffet himself and those who exploit the tax system to not pay any taxes at all like the 50% of American households have no business whining how others are not paying their fair share. So **** Buffet and **** all those green with envy chumps whining how the rich are not paying their fair share when they themselves do not pay their fair share.
    The only people not paying taxes are the elderly poor and the disabled. So your plan to reduce the deficit is to tax the elderly poor and the disabled?

    The reason our forefathers instituted a progressive tax was to prevent the the wealthy from controlling the country and to provide a more feasible method of financing the government. They understood that is is not possible to get blood from a turnip.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  7. #117
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: What are your feelings on the Buffet Rule?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLastIndependent View Post
    As you know, Congress will be taking a look at the Buffet rule in the upcoming days. How do you feel about it?
    If they're going to introduce the "only one return to the buffet" rule I shall demand a larger plate.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  8. #118
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,312

    Re: What are your feelings on the Buffet Rule?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    The only people not paying taxes are the elderly poor and the disabled. So your plan to reduce the deficit is to tax the elderly poor and the disabled?

    The reason our forefathers instituted a progressive tax was to prevent the the wealthy from controlling the country and to provide a more feasible method of financing the government. They understood that is is not possible to get blood from a turnip.
    According to this logic, the half of the population that does not pay taxes is either elderly, poor, or disabled. With those kinds of percentages, it is no wonder the economy is in trouble.

    What forefathers instituted the progressive tax system? The original income tax, instituted in 1860's, contained two brackets, 3% over $600, 5% on income over $10,000. No deductions, no tax breaks. Everybody over $600 paid.

  9. #119
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,769

    Re: What are your feelings on the Buffet Rule?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Why the Rich Should Pay Higher Taxes

    "The very rich benefit most from national security, government-funded research, infrastructure, and property laws. Defending the country benefits the rich more, because they have more to defend. Taxpayer-funded research at the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (the Internet), the National Institute of Health (pharmaceuticals), and the National Science Foundation (the Digital Library Initiative) has laid a half-century foundation for their idea-building. The interstates and airports and FAA and TSA benefit people who have the money to travel."

    "Finally, back to the tax statistics. Why should financial earnings (i.e., capital gains) be taxed less than wage earnings from actual work? The richest 10% of Americans own over 80% of the stocks, the gains from which are taxed at a 15% rate. Most wage earners pay more.

    Furthermore, over the past 15 years millionaires have seen their income tax rates drop from 30% to 22%. During approximately the same time period, American economic growth declined from an annual 3.2 percent rate to 1.7 percent. Lower taxes for the rich do not lead to productivity.

    Will the rich stop investing or move to another country if their taxes are increased? Not likely. They have it too good here. As Warren Buffett recently stated, "I have worked with investors for 60 years and I have yet to see anyone - not even when capital gains rates were 39.9 percent in 1976-77 - shy away from a sensible investment because of the tax rate on the potential gain."

    Mr. Buffett is admitting what everyone else is beginning to realize. The rich take much more than they pay for."

    Why the Rich Should Pay Higher Taxes | Common Dreams
    I'm one of the few people who considers himself a fiscal conservative, yet is willing to accept a more progressive tax code. I support raising the rate on long term capital gains to 20%, and I also support an AMT. However, your argument has holes that you can drive a truck through.

    Firstly, you raise an interesting point when you say that rich people benefit from defense more than the rest of us, because they have more to lose. I never looked at it that way, but even if taxes weren't progressive, the rich would be paying more than the middle class, so it sounds like you're pushing the flat tax.

    Secondly, it's true that rich people use more resources, because they own companies which own things like trucks, so they use infrastructure more than the rest of us. However, we already have things like corporate taxes, truck taxes, and toll booths, so that argument doesn't hold water.

    Thirdly, you talk about tax rates going down for the rich as if that's automatically bad. That's like saying 'whatever they're paying, it isn't enough'. If you raise the rates to 100%, you kill the goose that laid the golden egg, and then you have to double the taxes on the middle class, not to mention destroying the economy in the process.
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

  10. #120
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: What are your feelings on the Buffet Rule?

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    According to this logic, the half of the population that does not pay taxes is either elderly, poor, or disabled. With those kinds of percentages, it is no wonder the economy is in trouble.

    What forefathers instituted the progressive tax system? The original income tax, instituted in 1860's, contained two brackets, 3% over $600, 5% on income over $10,000. No deductions, no tax breaks. Everybody over $600 paid.
    I said forefathers, not founding fathers. Look up the difference Jimbo!

    And there is no such thing as half the country paying no taxes. 14% of the country pays no federal taxes, and they are mostly elderly poor and disabled.

    It’s A Myth That 47% Of Americans Pay No Taxes, In Truth 86% Pay Taxes
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •