View Poll Results: Who will you vote for in the 2012 Presidential Election?

Voters
179. You may not vote on this poll
  • Obama

    107 59.78%
  • Romney

    72 40.22%
Page 57 of 76 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast
Results 561 to 570 of 760

Thread: Who will you vote for in the 2012 presidential election...

  1. #561
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,225

    Re: Who will you vote for in the 2012 presidential election...

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    You missed my point. Education doesn't have anything to do with intelligence, it has to do with training. A person with bachelors in pre-med hasn't been trained to perform surgery. They might be a damned sight smarter than the guy with the MD, but they don't have any training.

    Whereas a person with a bachelors in veterinary medicine does have some training at performing surgery. I'd take them over someone with a PhD in physics any day. The vet has less overall education than the PhD, but they are trained in performing surgery so they are probably the better choice.

    ****, if it came down to it, I'd take a cattle farmer or butcher that never went to school a day in their life over most PhD's. The farmer or butcher is probably going to have a better understanding of the inner workings of a mammalian body than a history PhD ever will. They are almost certainly going to be better at working their hands, at the very least.

    A formal education doesn't make someone more intelligent. Not by a long shot. I'm saying that as a guy who is almost finished getting a master's degree.
    You're right. Sheesh, I'm more tired than I thought. I think that education is a sign of determination but not necessarily intelligence. For an issue of voting however the education is what matters. There can be a genius who is very ignorant and a dumbass who is extremely knowledgeable. Preferably someone would be both smart and knowledgeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  2. #562
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,769

    Re: Who will you vote for in the 2012 presidential election...

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    You missed my point. Education doesn't have anything to do with intelligence, it has to do with training. A person with bachelors in pre-med hasn't been trained to perform surgery. They might be a damned sight smarter than the guy with the MD, but they don't have any training.

    Whereas a person with a bachelors in veterinary medicine does have some training at performing surgery. I'd take them over someone with a PhD in physics any day. The vet has less overall education than the PhD, but they are trained in performing surgery so they are probably the better choice.

    ****, if it came down to it, I'd take a cattle farmer or butcher that never went to school a day in their life over most PhD's. The farmer or butcher is probably going to have a better understanding of the inner workings of a mammalian body than a history PhD ever will. They are almost certainly going to be better at working their hands, at the very least.

    A formal education doesn't make someone more intelligent. Not by a long shot. I'm saying that as a guy who is almost finished getting a master's degree.
    excellent point--as my father used to say, never confuse being well educated with intelligence

  3. #563
    Gone

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-16-16 @ 03:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,585

    Re: Who will you vote for in the 2012 presidential election...

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    Please, just don't call him Hussein. He wasn't named after the Iraqi dictator. His grandfather was named Hussein. Using his middle name to denigrate him is almost stereotypically hackish.

    Oh come on...Navy only has a few items left at it;s disposal. This one is at least completely clear.

  4. #564
    Professor
    Mathematician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,147

    Re: Who will you vote for in the 2012 presidential election...

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    You missed my point. Education doesn't have anything to do with intelligence, it has to do with training. A person with bachelors in pre-med hasn't been trained to perform surgery. They might be a damned sight smarter than the guy with the MD, but they don't have any training.

    Whereas a person with a bachelors in veterinary medicine does have some training at performing surgery. I'd take them over someone with a PhD in physics any day. The vet has less overall education than the PhD, but they are trained in performing surgery so they are probably the better choice.

    ****, if it came down to it, I'd take a cattle farmer or butcher that never went to school a day in their life over most PhD's. The farmer or butcher is probably going to have a better understanding of the inner workings of a mammalian body than a history PhD ever will. They are almost certainly going to be better at working their hands, at the very least.

    A formal education doesn't make someone more intelligent. Not by a long shot. I'm saying that as a guy who is almost finished getting a master's degree.
    Maybe I'm biased since mathematics is my field. The qualifying exams I had to take are going to filter out most, regardless of whether you put them through training.
    "With me everything turns into mathematics."
    "It is not enough to have a good mind. The main thing is to use it well."
    "It is truth very certain that, when it is not in one's power to determine what is true, we ought to follow what is more probable." -- Rene Descartes

  5. #565
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Who will you vote for in the 2012 presidential election...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician View Post
    Maybe I'm biased since mathematics is my field. The qualifying exams I had to take are going to filter out most, regardless of whether you put them through training.

    Same goes for getting a art school like Pratt or cal arts.

  6. #566
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Who will you vote for in the 2012 presidential election...

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    You're right. Sheesh, I'm more tired than I thought. I think that education is a sign of determination but not necessarily intelligence. For an issue of voting however the education is what matters. There can be a genius who is very ignorant and a dumbass who is extremely knowledgeable. Preferably someone would be both smart and knowledgeable.

    I'm not convinced that a formal education actually does much to alleviate ignorance, personally. I know some highly educated people who don't know ****, and some peoplewith no formal education who know more than most.

    Anwyay, I'll take an uneducated genius over an educated dumbass because a genius can become educated, a dumbass will always be a dumbass.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  7. #567
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Who will you vote for in the 2012 presidential election...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician View Post
    Maybe I'm biased since mathematics is my field. The qualifying exams I had to take are going to filter out most, regardless of whether you put them through training.
    Being good at mathematics is merely a sign that a person is good at mathematics, it's not a sign of intelligence. I've actually met a person with an IQ lower than 75 that can probably give you a run for your money at mathematics.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  8. #568
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-23-17 @ 05:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,429
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Who will you vote for in the 2012 presidential election...

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Being good at mathematics is merely a sign that a person is good at mathematics, it's not a sign of intelligence. I've actually met a person with an IQ lower than 75 that can probably give you a run for your money at mathematics.
    Its like assuming you are good at football because you have a strong bench press
    "Loyalty only matters when there's a hundred reasons not to be-" Gen. Mattis

  9. #569
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Who will you vote for in the 2012 presidential election...

    Quote Originally Posted by WI Crippler View Post
    Its like assuming you are good at football because you have a strong bench press
    Great analogy.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  10. #570
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-23-17 @ 05:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,429
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Who will you vote for in the 2012 presidential election...

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Great analogy.
    Of course. Anytime you use football for an analogy, it's going to be great.
    "Loyalty only matters when there's a hundred reasons not to be-" Gen. Mattis

Page 57 of 76 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •