View Poll Results: Is the nobel peace prize a joke?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    44 81.48%
  • no

    10 18.52%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 83

Thread: Is the nobel peace prize a joke?

  1. #31
    Educator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 04:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    801

    Re: Is the nobel peace prize a joke?

    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    ...he says without a clue. What on earth would compel you to say such a ridiculous thing?

    I'd bet you a crisp new hundred dollar bill you don't even know what Krugman worked on to get his Nobel Prize.
    Ok. I've earned that hundred dollar bill, but let me explain further on the problem with Krugman. He sees the economy in charts and graphs. When the economy is tanking, his charts and graphs tell him that incredible amounts of debt spending will bring about recovery. All other things being equal, he might be right. After all, it is an injection of capital into the economy. The problem is, all other things are not equal. His brand of economics spooked investors with insurmountable, ridiculous levels of debt and an economy completely supported by unsustainable government spending, and simply throwing money at unsustainable projects has resulted in three years of stagnation when we should be at least two years into a recovery. And then you have examples of his charts and graphs mentality being taken to absurdity, like when he said that what we really need is an invasion from Mars to get our economy working again. Yes, that would work on a supply demand chart with all other things being equal.

    Yes, Krugman is one of the dumbest economists in existence.
    Get informed: UNICEF foreign adoption policy is killing orphans and the US gives $132 million to UNICEF every year. Stop the madness.
    For the best news and commentary on the 2012 election from the GOP perspective, visit www.whitehouse12.com.

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Golden City of the Risen Dead
    Last Seen
    10-05-12 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    4,310

    Re: Is the nobel peace prize a joke?

    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox View Post
    Overall, I might have to agree with you, but certainly not lately.
    You don't approve of Liu Xiaobo or Leymah Gbowee winning Nobel Peace prizes?

  3. #33
    defected to kekistan
    beerftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    kekistan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    13,367

    Re: Is the nobel peace prize a joke?

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    Yassar Arafat won one. Obama won one before doing anything. Gandhi never won one.
    if obama got one for getting elected,and ghandi couldnt get one,i do consider it a joke,there are too many worthy of it who did more for the world than simply getting elected as president.
    “[The metric system is the tool of the Devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead, and that’s the way I likes it!” – Abe “Grampa” Simpson”

  4. #34
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: Is the nobel peace prize a joke?

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    He ran for president and won.

    In a country that, not even a half-century ago, allowed blacks to be segregated from whites.

    Our country has a long sad history of violent bigotry and mistreatment of minorities, especially blacks.

    His accomplishment of winning a presidential election is major. We've finally caught up to the 20th Century.

    Ghandi should have one.
    Obama won the presidency because he was black not despite being black

    That doesn't merit a nobel peace prize. That is a joke

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Golden City of the Risen Dead
    Last Seen
    10-05-12 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    4,310

    Re: Is the nobel peace prize a joke?

    Quote Originally Posted by friday View Post
    Ok. I've earned that hundred dollar bill, but let me explain further on the problem with Krugman.
    I'm pretty sure Google earned that $100, but whatever...

    He sees the economy in charts and graphs.
    Lol, all economists do. They're called models, and they are a basic economic tool.

    When the economy is tanking, his charts and graphs tell him that incredible amounts of debt spending will bring about recovery.
    In a demand economy, sustainable recoveries from recessions start from the bottom; people buying more products and services, stimulating suppliers to respond to demand. Where that money comes from is what the debate it about. Krugman and other Keynesians argue that government can help shorten recessions by injecting money into the economy through periodic spending. That spending can come in many forms; infrastructure projects, direct rebates to taxpayers, indirect tax breaks, etc. Of course, TANSTAAFL, so while short-term effects can help, the long term effects on debt and inflation require careful planning and currency regulation.

    All other things being equal, he might be right. After all, it is an injection of capital into the economy. The problem is, all other things are not equal. His brand of economics spooked investors with insurmountable, ridiculous levels of debt and an economy completely supported by unsustainable government spending, and simply throwing money at unsustainable projects has resulted in three years of stagnation when we should be at least two years into a recovery.
    You'd be right if the entire federal debt was because of his policies. Unfortunately for your argument, the majority of the current deficit comes from the Bush tax breaks and the Iraq War; hardly something that can be placed at Krugman's feet. I can't say I agree with him on everything involving the US debt, but he knows there is a certain limit to debt.

    And then you have examples of his charts and graphs mentality being taken to absurdity, like when he said that what we really need is an invasion from Mars to get our economy working again. Yes, that would work on a supply demand chart with all other things being equal.
    Again, charts are an economists best friend.

    Yes, Krugman is one of the dumbest economists in existence.
    Still no.

  6. #36
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: Is the nobel peace prize a joke?

    Quote Originally Posted by friday View Post
    Ok. I've earned that hundred dollar bill, but let me explain further on the problem with Krugman. He sees the economy in charts and graphs. When the economy is tanking, his charts and graphs tell him that incredible amounts of debt spending will bring about recovery. All other things being equal, he might be right. After all, it is an injection of capital into the economy. The problem is, all other things are not equal. His brand of economics spooked investors with insurmountable, ridiculous levels of debt and an economy completely supported by unsustainable government spending, and simply throwing money at unsustainable projects has resulted in three years of stagnation when we should be at least two years into a recovery. And then you have examples of his charts and graphs mentality being taken to absurdity, like when he said that what we really need is an invasion from Mars to get our economy working again. Yes, that would work on a supply demand chart with all other things being equal.

    Yes, Krugman is one of the dumbest economists in existence.
    Krugman starts with an agenda and then tries to contort facts to support the agenda rather than examining the facts and coming to a conclusion. he is the epitome of outcome based "scholarship"

    He's a pathetic sort of partisan Pimp

  7. #37
    Guru
    Jryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    01-12-16 @ 09:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,987
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is the nobel peace prize a joke?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Obama won the presidency because he was black not despite being black

    That doesn't merit a nobel peace prize. That is a joke
    This post makes you a racist TD...
    I'm coming to see that no matter what law we regulate, be it the stand your ground act, there is never an objective morally right answer to any morale question; in fact, since there are multiple objectively right answers to every moral question that leaves us with a lot of grey area and a lot of black area (not in the racial since).
    -Jryan

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    10-13-12 @ 02:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,556

    Re: Is the nobel peace prize a joke?

    * This opinion only applies to Nobel Peace Prizes...and not to Science, Chemistry etc...*


    Possibly some decades ago the Noble Peace Prize could be taken seriously, before the politically correct mob took control. But currently, yes it is joke.

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Golden City of the Risen Dead
    Last Seen
    10-05-12 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    4,310

    Re: Is the nobel peace prize a joke?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Krugman starts with an agenda and then tries to contort facts to support the agenda rather than examining the facts and coming to a conclusion. he is the epitome of outcome based "scholarship"

    He's a pathetic sort of partisan Pimp
    You disagree with a few details of his free-market philosophy and that makes him a Partisan Pimp.

  10. #40
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: Is the nobel peace prize a joke?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jryan View Post
    This post makes you a racist TD...
    You obvious have no clue about the term. Its a factual statement that is not racist. Obama's race was one of his major selling points. Black turnout was astronomical and lots of whites voted for him because of his race. I realize its a common tactic of those on the left to scream racism but you in error

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •