View Poll Results: Should it be legalized?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, as quickly as possible

    19 32.76%
  • yes and regulated by the state...

    31 53.45%
  • no way...other people paying for sex ruins my life...

    2 3.45%
  • don't you have anything better to do with your time...

    6 10.34%
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 181

Thread: Should prostitution be legal and not just for medical reasons?

  1. #171
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: Should prostitution be legal and not just for medical reasons?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Utah is mostly Mormon, but not as high a percentage as many think.....Idaho percentage is a lot less, as is Arizona.
    There are a lot of Catholics in AZ, not sure how that works now, but in the old days of Europe, the priests distributed funds from the poor box to the poor in the conventional way, unless they were known whores....the priests paid the whores for services rendered....
    (There was a show on History channel a few years back, about the history of prostitution)
    Yup. I lived near St Francis Xavier Catholic Church from '55 - '68.

  2. #172
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Should prostitution be legal and not just for medical reasons?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    We pay doctors to make us feel better, why not prostitutes to make us feel good?
    That being said, I would be more prone to brag about my grandkids becoming doctors than becoming whores...
    Then why don't we game the system so that they will be more likely to become doctors than becoming whores? Like a better academic and technical educations? And better job placement programs? And having the cost of education fitting the expected salaries?

    One reason why I'm for the legalization of prostitution is because if our country is going to let everybody fend for themselves then should have the most avenues of opportunity to do that as possible. So if the only way someone can fend for themselves is by selling their sex, I think we should let them.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  3. #173
    Student Justice For All's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 03:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    192

    Re: Should prostitution be legal and not just for medical reasons?

    It should be regulated and taxed as any other profession. How and what people do in a bedroom should not be anyones or any governments concern. It's just sex people and if the two parties agree then its fine. I think prostitutes should be required to do STD screenings however as part as their contract.
    "Rome is the mob. Conjure magic for them and they’ll be distracted. Take away their freedom and still they’ll roar. The beating heart of Rome is not the marble of the senate, it’s the sand of the coliseum. He’ll bring them death – and they will love him for it.” - Senator Gracchus (Gladiator)

  4. #174
    Frankernaut peepnklown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-16-15 @ 04:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    607

    Re: Should prostitution be legal and not just for medical reasons?

    I have the sole right to my body and to my own labor services, nuff said or maybe more. If prostitution were legal, it would be a safer environment for both the provider and client. If prostitution were legal, the state will be able to regulate/tax, making it safer for both the provider and client and helping with the states debt/services (of course I would argue for a strict allocation of such taxes). If prostitution were legal, it would save the taxpayer a lot of money and allow the police to focus on ‘real’ criminals, you know, like the violent ones or the ones who actually steal/harm your property.
    I think the underlying issue is that the federal/state government like to think of us as their property/slaves.
    'The whole universe is going to die!'

  5. #175
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should prostitution be legal and not just for medical reasons?

    I think it should remain a minor ticketing misdemeanor offense as should be hiring one. That is because I think it should stay off the streets and be discrete. Pimping should be a major felony because that is often a form of slavery and extortion.
    Last edited by joko104; 04-11-12 at 10:20 AM.

  6. #176
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should prostitution be legal and not just for medical reasons?

    Quote Originally Posted by Justice For All View Post
    It should be regulated and taxed as any other profession. How and what people do in a bedroom should not be anyones or any governments concern. It's just sex people and if the two parties agree then its fine. I think prostitutes should be required to do STD screenings however as part as their contract.
    Prostitutes are suppose to pay income taxes the same as everyone else. What other taxes do you want?

  7. #177
    Educator barbarian_style's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Existing between 2 entities of darkness
    Last Seen
    02-01-14 @ 03:31 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    761

    Re: Should prostitution be legal and not just for medical reasons?

    Quote Originally Posted by Justice For All View Post
    It should be regulated and taxed as any other profession. How and what people do in a bedroom should not be anyones or any governments concern. It's just sex people and if the two parties agree then its fine. I think prostitutes should be required to do STD screenings however as part as their contract.

    As studies show STD are not generally passed by the whore, they are past by the johns or janes.

    Also your bedroom in this case is an office so no you don't get to call it privacy of your own bedroom.

  8. #178
    Educator barbarian_style's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Existing between 2 entities of darkness
    Last Seen
    02-01-14 @ 03:31 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    761

    Re: Should prostitution be legal and not just for medical reasons?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Prostitutes are suppose to pay income taxes the same as everyone else. What other taxes do you want?
    Every bring your car to the shop? It just isn't always labor, I get charged from parts to shop supplies and that is taxable. Just as rubbers, jellies, cleaning supplies, etc... they also need to fall in line with any how other business collect taxes.

  9. #179
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Should prostitution be legal and not just for medical reasons?

    Pimping is marketing. Slavery and extortion are completely different crimes.




    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    I think it should remain a minor ticketing misdemeanor offense as should be hiring one. That is because I think it should stay off the streets and be discrete. Pimping should be a major felony because that is often a form of slavery and extortion.

  10. #180
    Student Justice For All's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 03:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    192

    Re: Should prostitution be legal and not just for medical reasons?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Prostitutes are suppose to pay income taxes the same as everyone else. What other taxes do you want?
    You really think illegal prostitutes and illegal Pimps are paying their share of taxes like everyone else? The only ones who do so are the brothels in Nevada. Escorts and illegal hookers don't do this at all.


    Quote Originally Posted by barbarian_style View Post
    As studies show STD are not generally passed by the whore, they are past by the johns or janes.

    Also your bedroom in this case is an office so no you don't get to call it privacy of your own bedroom.

    Really why don't you show me those studies because I don't believe a word you say about the illegal prostitutes not passing STD's along. If it's the brothels then yes that's probably the case sense they are required to use protection and to get STD screenings. Also the bedroom is private the transation in case it was legal would take place in a office just like a brothel.
    "Rome is the mob. Conjure magic for them and they’ll be distracted. Take away their freedom and still they’ll roar. The beating heart of Rome is not the marble of the senate, it’s the sand of the coliseum. He’ll bring them death – and they will love him for it.” - Senator Gracchus (Gladiator)

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •