View Poll Results: Should it be legalized?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, as quickly as possible

    19 32.76%
  • yes and regulated by the state...

    31 53.45%
  • no way...other people paying for sex ruins my life...

    2 3.45%
  • don't you have anything better to do with your time...

    6 10.34%
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 181

Thread: Should prostitution be legal and not just for medical reasons?

  1. #91
    Educator barbarian_style's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Existing between 2 entities of darkness
    Last Seen
    02-01-14 @ 03:31 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    761

    Re: Should prostitution be legal and not just for medical reasons?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    That doesnt negate the costs incurred and transferred. We arent talking one or two patients a week, month, or even day in the ERs. As for that follow on cost...yes...the hospitals employ social workers to transfer even unfunded patients to state contracted providers and where patients are deemed 'disabled' for whatever reasons those costs are still there and still transferred to others. The costs dont just magically go away. Someone is paying the bills. That is all a departure of course on whether or not prostitution should be legalized.
    It is still an issue you have not addressed as the solution to the problem I described, this above response is just a justification.

  2. #92
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Where pissing off the has beens here is fun...
    Last Seen
    04-07-13 @ 09:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,156

    Re: Should prostitution be legal and not just for medical reasons?

    Quote Originally Posted by barbarian_style View Post
    There is many things that are singled out as different when it comes to a variety of business, I still see your question as being very vague and unanswerable.
    Then I guess you shouldn't have answered it the way you did...thanks...

  3. #93
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should prostitution be legal and not just for medical reasons?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Its not at all the same issue, so of COURSE I dont make the 'same' argument for cocaine.
    That works both ways. As with alcohol and gambling, the answer to prostitution is not "oh well folks are going to do it anyway". Surly prostitution must have some uniqu merit you would like to speak of.

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Jerry...go to any bar or club anywhere in the country on pretty much any given night. Dorm parties.Frat parties. Spring break. People go there for the hookup. Alcohol fueled people trying hookup. Hell...Jimmy and Susie out on a date. Sex is a constant theme. Its out of the bag, and out of the closet. Imagine how much healthier the envioronment would be if Sweatie Stan DIDNT roll up in his pickup, offer 20 bucks for Handjob Hannah on a date behind a dumpster somewhere and instead went to her business, she had him take a shower beforehand, healthy environment for a sexual encounter, he pays $26.47 for the handjob and taxes. Im not trying to be flippant...Im describing a seedy part of our every day life and a MUCH more healthy legal alternative.
    You assume I'm inexperienced in the world and only object to prostitution because I'm nieve. Gee, thanks.

  4. #94
    Educator barbarian_style's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Existing between 2 entities of darkness
    Last Seen
    02-01-14 @ 03:31 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    761

    Re: Should prostitution be legal and not just for medical reasons?

    Quote Originally Posted by JasonI View Post
    Then I guess you shouldn't have answered it the way you did...thanks...
    Still scratching my head on how you were saying that it was being singled out.

  5. #95
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,705

    Re: Should prostitution be legal and not just for medical reasons?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    That works both ways. As with alcohol and gambling, the answer to prostitution is not "oh well folks are going to do it anyway". Surly prostitution must have some uniqu merit you would like to speak of.
    You assume I'm inexperienced in the world and only object to prostitution because I'm nieve. Gee, thanks.
    And we DID legalize alcohol as people DID and were drinking anyway. And taxed the hell out of it. In the case of prostitution it is a crime without a victim. We have criminalized a simple and consensual act and driven it into alleys and the underworld. There is no REASON for it to BE illegal.
    As for the second part...geez Jerry...sometimes...how you get from point a to point b is freqin amazing. If I implied somewhere that you were not experienced to the ways of the world I apologize. Not even a little bit my intent.

  6. #96
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,705

    Re: Should prostitution be legal and not just for medical reasons?

    Quote Originally Posted by barbarian_style View Post
    It is still an issue you have not addressed as the solution to the problem I described, this above response is just a justification.
    Guess you might have to dfo a better job with actually pointing out your point. Every job has risks. Insurance policies can be tailored to specifically cover risks. People today get STDs whether they are engaged in the offering or receiving end of prostitution or not. That isnt going to increase and will very likely decrease.

  7. #97
    Educator barbarian_style's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Existing between 2 entities of darkness
    Last Seen
    02-01-14 @ 03:31 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    761

    Re: Should prostitution be legal and not just for medical reasons?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Guess you might have to dfo a better job with actually pointing out your point. Every job has risks. Insurance policies can be tailored to specifically cover risks. People today get STDs whether they are engaged in the offering or receiving end of prostitution or not. That isnt going to increase and will very likely decrease.

    Could I get the source from where you pulled the statistics on this? If not I disagree and think it would be likely to spike greatly.
    Last edited by barbarian_style; 04-09-12 at 02:44 PM.

  8. #98
    Educator barbarian_style's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Existing between 2 entities of darkness
    Last Seen
    02-01-14 @ 03:31 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    761

    Re: Should prostitution be legal and not just for medical reasons?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    And we DID legalize alcohol as people DID and were drinking anyway. And taxed the hell out of it. In the case of prostitution it is a crime without a victim. We have criminalized a simple and consensual act and driven it into alleys and the underworld. There is no REASON for it to BE illegal.
    As for the second part...geez Jerry...sometimes...how you get from point a to point b is freqin amazing. If I implied somewhere that you were not experienced to the ways of the world I apologize. Not even a little bit my intent.
    As I stated before it would affect me(and others in negative ways.) Not all crimes leave "victims."

  9. #99
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should prostitution be legal and not just for medical reasons?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    And we DID legalize alcohol as people DID and were drinking anyway.
    In fact, people drank more during the prohibition then before or since, even children, which is surprising considering the fact that alcohol related deaths dropped during the prohibition despite the dangers of white lightning and moonshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    And taxed the hell out of it.
    A lot fo countries which thought they were going to reap taxes from prostitutes actually had a deficit in unpaid taxes.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    In the case of prostitution it is a crime without a victim.
    A slave is certainly a victim. The majority of prostitutes can not leave and are abused. Most are raped semi-regularly by pimps and johns, are addicted to drugs and suffer from a variety or emotional problems to include PTSD.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    We have criminalized a simple and consensual act and driven it into alleys and the underworld.
    Which is where it belongs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    There is no REASON for it to BE illegal.
    From a human rights perspective, there can never exist any such a relationship in which a man would purchase and own the body of a woman as a commodity.

    Legalized prostitution greatly exacerbates underground sex-slave human trafficking. Most nations which legalized prostitution, re-banned it after experiencing this truth. The oldest records of prostitution were of slaves.

    Your typical prostitute comes from an abused background, enters prostitution out of desperation and/or coercion (not free choice) and becomes trapped in a life of physical, sexual, emotional, and drug abuse. This is not the life of an independent and free adult choosing to perform a service for a fee. This is a life of being owned and abused.
    Last edited by Jerry; 04-09-12 at 02:52 PM.

  10. #100
    Professor
    Luna Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: Should prostitution be legal and not just for medical reasons?

    Quote Originally Posted by barbarian_style View Post
    Sketching road to go down and for other reasons not mentioned. If it would only come down to the statement of "staying out of people's bedroom of consenting adults."

    Let's look at this differently, if you are in a profession that involves your bedroom as an office then you just opened the door to your office for Uncle Sam to look in on his taxable income, not your bedroom door anymore.

    Also when addressing other issues such as unemployment, all unemployment then should be denied because it would be tough to prove that no one is willing to haves sex with you for money. The thing is that you can not collect unemployment if you turn down gainable employment. In other words you would have the government now in some control of what you do with your body. Slippery slope folks that's all.
    That's nonsense. No one in Nevada has been denied unemployment because she or he refused work as a prostitute. People recognize that sex is a very personal thing and sex for money is not something most people are comfortable doing.

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •