View Poll Results: Should we overturn the 1986 automatic weapons ban?

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the 2nd Amendment gives me the right to own an automatic weapon.

    98 77.17%
  • No, the founding fathers could not have known about automatic weapons.

    29 22.83%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 58 of 58

Thread: Should we overturn the 1986 automatic weapons ban?

  1. #51
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,757

    Re: Should we overturn the 1986 automatic weapons ban?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    That's one. These things have gone back and forth. See 1842 and 1875. Those went the other way. He point is, regulations have nearly always been here.

    Btw, I didn't limit it to federal, and you responded to it.
    I was sticking to federal--you see I believe that until the 14th amendment incorporations, the states actually had the power, consistent with their constitutions-to regulate the use of guns.



  2. #52
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Should we overturn the 1986 automatic weapons ban?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I was sticking to federal--you see I believe that until the 14th amendment incorporations, the states actually had the power, consistent with their constitutions-to regulate the use of guns.
    I personally see no difference. If you really fear tyranny, both can be tyranical.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #53
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,757

    Re: Should we overturn the 1986 automatic weapons ban?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I personally see no difference. If you really fear tyranny, both can be tyranical.
    I see a big difference based on the powers delegated or NOT delegated to the federal government



  4. #54
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Should we overturn the 1986 automatic weapons ban?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I see a big difference based on the powers delegated or NOT delegated to the federal government
    Mostly semantics, as we've seen the courts allowing what you believe to be not delegated. The point is if tyranny is what you are worried about, that can be exercised both ways. And if a federal government wanted, they could quietly work with states to meet your requirement and still impose their will. So, it really makes no difference.

    The point is, one or the other has been setting limitations nearly from the beginning.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #55
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Should we overturn the 1986 automatic weapons ban?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    It should definitely be overturned. The only limitations that I support on the ownership of firearms in this country are....

    1. Proof you do not have a felony conviction, or a drug/alcohol conviction on your record
    2. Proof you have not been adjudicated mentally incompetent
    3. Proof you are an American Citizen over the age of 18
    4. Proof that you can safely store and handle the firearm/weapon in question

    If you can prove that you can safely store and handle an M1 Abrams MBT, I have no problem with someone owning one.
    M1 tanks are not eco-friendly, therefore I want them banned.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  6. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Should we overturn the 1986 automatic weapons ban?

    R
    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    M1 tanks are not eco-friendly, therefore I want them banned.
    That's nice. I couldn't care any less about the environment so your argument has been ignored.

  7. #57
    User
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1

    Re: Should we overturn the 1986 automatic weapons ban?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    In a single word.... YES. These people have proven that they cannot be trusted by the general public to follow the rules. Just like someone who has been convicted of marijuana possession.
    I agree; however, I would add the provision that their right should be restored after going for a set period with no violations.

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Eastern Long Island
    Last Seen
    11-09-15 @ 03:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,468

    Re: Should we overturn the 1986 automatic weapons ban?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I was sticking to federal--you see I believe that until the 14th amendment incorporations, the states actually had the power, consistent with their constitutions-to regulate the use of guns.
    I don't think the 14th is really applicable. Tennessee has been considering laws to nullify all federal regulation.

    The only singular problem I personally have with an auto ban is that I've long wanted an old tommy gun. I couldn't afford to fire it regularly but I'd still like to have one.
    Last edited by betuadollar; 10-08-15 at 09:26 AM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •