View Poll Results: How Emotional Are Political Positions?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10 (all the way)

    6 24.00%
  • 9

    5 20.00%
  • 8

    7 28.00%
  • 7

    5 20.00%
  • 6

    1 4.00%
  • 5

    0 0%
  • 4

    0 0%
  • 3

    1 4.00%
  • 2

    0 0%
  • 1 (hardly)

    0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: How Emotional Are Political Positions?

  1. #11
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    38,048

    Re: How Emotional Are Political Positions?

    it may depend on one's educational background and view of life...
    "Sovereignty is not given, it is taken." ATATÜRK

  2. #12
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: How Emotional Are Political Positions?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    It depends on the individual's ability to reason and project his views into the future and see the natural ends of his desires. Generally, I'd say that most people vote with more emotional and idealistic tendencies than rational and intellectual ones.
    I liked your post, but you used a loaded word, one that people often get emotional about. So be careful.

  3. #13
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: How Emotional Are Political Positions?

    Quote Originally Posted by mpg View Post
    For 80-90% of the population, it's entirely emotional. Those of us who believe in facts and logic, still have core values which are based on emotion. I voted for 9.
    I think that there are more real engineers, scientists and the ilk than you think, we might make up, umm, your right 80-90%.

  4. #14
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: How Emotional Are Political Positions?

    I think most, therefore Ivoted 8. Most people don't tbink about their politics any more than they do about their religion.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  5. #15
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    38,048

    Re: How Emotional Are Political Positions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    I think most, therefore Ivoted 8. Most people don't tbink about their politics any more than they do about their religion.
    or their religions may form their political tendencies
    "Sovereignty is not given, it is taken." ATATÜRK

  6. #16
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: How Emotional Are Political Positions?

    Quote Originally Posted by OhIsee.Then View Post
    I liked your post, but you used a loaded word, one that people often get emotional about. So be careful.
    I say what I think, and call things the way I see them. If someone finds that offensive, then they are the one who's worried about it, not I.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  7. #17
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: How Emotional Are Political Positions?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    I say what I think, and call things the way I see them. If someone finds that offensive, then they are the one who's worried about it, not I.
    I'm sorry, it was a poor attempt at mixing humor with reality.
    The word in your post that many people respond negatively to is
    intellectual.

  8. #18
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180
    I get hints at how emotional people's social welfare views are when they resort to appeals to pity and think they've cornered me. "So what do you want to happen to all the poor little whatchamacallits, should they just go DIE?!?!" they always end up asking. That is an extremely emotional core to one's political views.

    Some conservative types had emotional arguments going full swing when Bush and Co. were blasting the terrorism and war horns. Objections met with "they die for your freedom and you spit on their graves" BS.

    It's not just one side or the other. Tends to depend whose party has a president in the oval office. Whoever's defending their ****ty corrupt president ends up resorting to the emotional, and whoever's attacking tends to be more rational. Put another way, there are few rational defenses for these clowns. To defend the corruption you have to reach for more desperate arguments.
    Last edited by Neomalthusian; 04-02-12 at 07:27 PM.

  9. #19
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: How Emotional Are Political Positions?

    Quote Originally Posted by OhIsee.Then View Post
    I'm sorry, it was a poor attempt at mixing humor with reality.
    The word in your post that many people respond negatively to is
    intellectual.
    Oh well, some people are just going to be unhappy not matter what you say.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  10. #20
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,294

    Re: How Emotional Are Political Positions?

    People's political views are just like religion. They are believers. Think about it! If their parents are Republican, the kids are. Same for Dems. It's all beliefs and logic and reason can be go to hell.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •