View Poll Results: Do you agree with Florida Law on use of deadly force?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Agree

    48 71.64%
  • Disagree

    16 23.88%
  • I oppose the Second Amendment completely

    2 2.99%
  • There should be no rule of law

    1 1.49%
Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 LastLast
Results 421 to 430 of 446

Thread: Florida Law on use of deadly force [W:390]

  1. #421
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,570

    Re: Florida Law on use of deadly force [W:390]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jryan View Post
    Oh right, I like how you immediately assume that the person was in imminent danger .
    If the shootee is not putting anyone in imminent danger, then there is no justification for the shooter to pull the trigger.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  2. #422
    Guru
    Jryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    01-12-16 @ 09:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,987
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Florida Law on use of deadly force [W:390]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    If the shootee is not putting anyone in imminent danger, then there is no justification for the shooter to pull the trigger.
    My question is, what "is" imminent danger? I mean, like I pointed out, you honestly can't think it justifiable to shoot someone because they pushed you.
    I'm coming to see that no matter what law we regulate, be it the stand your ground act, there is never an objective morally right answer to any morale question; in fact, since there are multiple objectively right answers to every moral question that leaves us with a lot of grey area and a lot of black area (not in the racial since).
    -Jryan

  3. #423
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,529

    Re: Florida Law on use of deadly force [W:390]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jryan View Post
    My question is, what "is" imminent danger? I mean, like I pointed out, you honestly can't think it justifiable to shoot someone because they pushed you.
    Being pushed is not grounds under the law to shoot anyone...

    Trying to protect yourself or another person from death or serious bodily harm;
    Trying to prevent a forcible felony, such as rape, robbery, burglary or kidnapping.

    It is clearly outlined.

    The only real change in the self defense laws in Florida, is that you are no longer under any obligation to retreat from the situation if you are legally within your rights to be where you are.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 04-14-12 at 12:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  4. #424
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,570

    Re: Florida Law on use of deadly force [W:390]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jryan View Post
    My question is, what "is" imminent danger? I mean, like I pointed out, you honestly can't think it justifiable to shoot someone because they pushed you.
    Neither can I. The only justification for deadly force is to defend yourself or someone else from a real threat. If someone pushes you, unless they're pushing you over a cliff, that's no reason to shoot them.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  5. #425
    Guru
    Jryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    01-12-16 @ 09:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,987
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Florida Law on use of deadly force [W:390]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Neither can I. The only justification for deadly force is to defend yourself or someone else from a real threat. If someone pushes you, unless they're pushing you over a cliff, that's no reason to shoot them.
    Right, but like I said, it is very difficult to write a law that would entail every detail of every incident.
    I'm coming to see that no matter what law we regulate, be it the stand your ground act, there is never an objective morally right answer to any morale question; in fact, since there are multiple objectively right answers to every moral question that leaves us with a lot of grey area and a lot of black area (not in the racial since).
    -Jryan

  6. #426
    Guru
    Jryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    01-12-16 @ 09:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,987
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Florida Law on use of deadly force [W:390]

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Being pushed is not grounds under the law to shoot anyone...

    Trying to protect yourself or another person from death or serious bodily harm;
    Trying to prevent a forcible felony, such as rape, robbery, burglary or kidnapping.

    It is clearly outlined.

    The only real change in the self defense laws in Florida, is that you are no longer under any obligation to retreat from the situation if you are legally within your rights to be where you are.
    Ah, okay. So do you think it is fine if someone uses lethal force when they could've resolved the situation peacefully (Even if serious bodily harm is at play)? Say for instance they have the opportunity to get in their car and drive away.
    I'm coming to see that no matter what law we regulate, be it the stand your ground act, there is never an objective morally right answer to any morale question; in fact, since there are multiple objectively right answers to every moral question that leaves us with a lot of grey area and a lot of black area (not in the racial since).
    -Jryan

  7. #427
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Florida Law on use of deadly force [W:390]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jryan View Post
    Ah, okay. So do you think it is fine if someone uses lethal force when they could've resolved the situation peacefully (Even if serious bodily harm is at play)? Say for instance they have the opportunity to get in their car and drive away.
    Jryan, I think your missing something here...by the time you can ascertain your in imminent danger 100% your going to be dead. There ingredients such as intent and belief....do you BELIEVE your in imminent danger...the way your wording your argument...theres no self defense, its just wait till you cant defend yourself.

  8. #428
    Guru
    Jryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    01-12-16 @ 09:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,987
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Florida Law on use of deadly force [W:390]

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Jryan, I think your missing something here...by the time you can ascertain your in imminent danger 100% your going to be dead. There ingredients such as intent and belief....do you BELIEVE your in imminent danger...the way your wording your argument...theres no self defense, its just wait till you cant defend yourself.
    I guess you are right there. Maybe we are to cruel on people who make decisions in the moment because we now have hindsight.
    I'm coming to see that no matter what law we regulate, be it the stand your ground act, there is never an objective morally right answer to any morale question; in fact, since there are multiple objectively right answers to every moral question that leaves us with a lot of grey area and a lot of black area (not in the racial since).
    -Jryan

  9. #429
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    08-09-13 @ 08:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,600

    Re: Florida Law on use of deadly force [W:390]

    Quote Originally Posted by Disputatious71 View Post
    I think this law mirrors the federal guidelines on concealed weapons, but the general lean of the SYG law was more freedom since it replaced a strict castle doctrine type of law.
    SYG didn't replace Castle Doctrine.. it extended it into public spaces.. meaning there is no duty to retreat.

    Its bad law.

  10. #430
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,529

    Re: Florida Law on use of deadly force [W:390]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jryan View Post
    Ah, okay. So do you think it is fine if someone uses lethal force when they could've resolved the situation peacefully (Even if serious bodily harm is at play)? Say for instance they have the opportunity to get in their car and drive away.
    If serous bodily harm is at play, yes I would kill someone to protect myself or others. If I have the opportunity to get in my car and drive away safely, then no threat exist. Now if I have a chance to stop a forcible felony or escape, I would stop the forcible felony with deadly force without a second thought about retreating.

    I agree with the law 100%.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •