View Poll Results: What do you think of the new definition?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Perfect

    3 7.69%
  • A bit too broad

    3 7.69%
  • Not broad enough

    2 5.13%
  • Way to broad (original definition is just fine ty)

    7 17.95%
  • Not even close to accurate

    11 28.21%
  • Shut up you racist!

    4 10.26%
  • Other

    9 23.08%
Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 292

Thread: The new definition of "Racist".

  1. #191
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: The new definition of "Racist".

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    that may or may not be true.

    but in some cities and areas, blacks do indeed control enough of the political & economic system to push a racist agenda.
    Not really. We make up 13% of the population spread out across a nation of 300,000,000 people. How much power do we really have??? Even in area's we have a majority which are very few, it is such a small one, it makes no difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #192
    Professor cmakaioz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Last Seen
    01-22-13 @ 02:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,582

    Re: The new definition of "Racist".

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    a black man can own a store, a factory, a large corporation.
    Never claimed otherwise. How often is that actually the case, however? And what are the options left available to those applicants who are turned away by those rare few people of color with such institutional power?

    Back here in the world we actually live in, the influence of people of color, vis-a-vis "race" (i.e. AS people of color), in the corporate sector is barely a blip on the social or economic radar. It remains the case that "white" people can afford to remain utterly ignorant of the attitudes, expectations, politics, history, and concerns of people of color...and still have a long and full professional career. The same is not true of people of color, who (as W.E.B. Du Bois and Franz Fanon, among others) pointed out must become virtual experts upon how to get by in the "white" world...what amounts to a hostile social environment. It is the luxury of default, in which "white" is treated as an unmarked "normal," -- something not inviting special attention or scrutiny, that "white" people receive such heavy privilege.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    he can discriminate against whites, as owner of that entity.
    Of course he can...but can he do so with the same default lack of consequences? Also, the customers and employment applicants turned off or turned away by his racism will -- back in the real world we actually live in, instead of in some hypothetical world where "white" people don't dominate most political and social institutions in the relevant context -- have plenty of options left which don't discriminate against them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    that is racism. and some might say oppresive racism.
    Of course, that's definitely racism. As for oppressive racism, that would be quite a stretch without meeting some pretty spectacular (and rare) conditions. If such a discriminatory employer or business operator was the only -- or the dominant -- employer or business in town/supplier of a given good or service, then you might have a case.

    All of this, however, does nothing to change the fact that people of color, in the aggregate, are institutionally disfavored, not privileged, by the political and economic context we actually live in. In some other scenario or alternate world, could it be the case that people of color could engage in racist oppression? OF COURSE they could...and it would be patently racist to assert that they are magically incapable of doing so under any circumstances.

    It is perfectly reasonable, however, to point out that in our ACTUAL context, in the society we actually live in, people of color don't have anything close to the level of institutional power required to engage in racist oppression, whether by neglect and ignorance or by ideological zealotry. "White" people, however, DO.
    I've moved on to a better forum (scienceforums.net). Facts matter, and I don't have the time or energy for putting up with the pretense that they don't. PM me if you'd like me to get in touch with you when I'm done developing my own forum system, likely towards the end of 2013.

  3. #193
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: The new definition of "Racist".

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Not really. We make up 13% of the population spread out across a nation of 300,000,000 people. How much power do we really have??? Even in area's we have a majority which are very few, it is such a small one, it makes no difference.
    sorry bud, but wherever blacks have economic & political power, then can try to push a racist agenda.

    how successful they will be at it, is another story. But they can certainly attempt it.

  4. #194
    Professor cmakaioz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Last Seen
    01-22-13 @ 02:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,582

    Re: The new definition of "Racist".

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    sorry bud, but wherever blacks have economic & political power, then can try to push a racist agenda.

    how successful they will be at it, is another story. But they can certainly attempt it.
    "How successful they will be at it"...and also whether or not they are likely to attempt it in the first place...are pretty god damn relevant facts.

    Facts matter. Real, actually manifest racist oppression established and maintained by "white" people > (is greater than) hypothetical, potential attempts at racist oppression by a rare handful-within-a-handful of people of color with sufficient institutional power.

    The two are nowhere close to being the same in scale, viability, social approval, financing, etc.

    For example, there's just no conceivable parallel racist anti-immigration bill (a la Arizona) which could be directed by institutionally powerful people of color against "whites". Could a powerful person of color in public office *attempt* to pass such legislation in a manner discriminatory against "white" folk? Sure...and s/he'd be out of office/sued/assaulted practically overnight. Could such a person do a "take-back", in which they made some mealy-mouthed weakly worded conciliatory statement in passing, only to resume pursuit of their previous political ambitions days or weeks later? They could try, but not likely. Contrast this with Gingrich, Romney, Santorum, McCain, et al...all of whom have made multiple statements of veiled (and in some cases, open) bigotry against various groups of people of color...with hardly a political scratch.

    So YES, of course people of color are capable of harboring racist views just like anyone else...but NO, they cannot hang on to, or utilize, their (rare) institutional power towards realizing a racist agenda in remotely the same manner.
    I've moved on to a better forum (scienceforums.net). Facts matter, and I don't have the time or energy for putting up with the pretense that they don't. PM me if you'd like me to get in touch with you when I'm done developing my own forum system, likely towards the end of 2013.

  5. #195
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: The new definition of "Racist".

    Quote Originally Posted by cmakaioz View Post
    ...So YES, of course people of color are capable of harboring racist views just like anyone else...but NO, they cannot hang on to, or utilize, their (rare) institutional power towards realizing a racist agenda in remotely the same manner.
    not only can and are many blacks racist, but if they choose to...they can attempt to engage in a racist agenda.

    their success may be minimal, but they can still try.

  6. #196
    Professor cmakaioz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Last Seen
    01-22-13 @ 02:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,582

    Re: The new definition of "Racist".

    To save time:

    Women can harbor sexist ideologies, but you don't see any new PASSED laws sticking the state in the doctor's office when men have an appointment.

    Gays and lesbians can harbor twisted ideas about heterosexuals, but there are no amendments on any legislative agendas calling for revoking the rights of heterosexuals, and no successful campaigns to require bigotry against heterosexuals to be in local school texts.

    Poor people can harbor deeply classist views, and yet rich people are not being infantilized by massive state invasions of privacy just to get what they need to survive, and if and when rich individuals get in trouble, the default assumption is not that they got in trouble because rich people are typically of inferior character. Rich people get to be treated as individuals.

    etc.
    I've moved on to a better forum (scienceforums.net). Facts matter, and I don't have the time or energy for putting up with the pretense that they don't. PM me if you'd like me to get in touch with you when I'm done developing my own forum system, likely towards the end of 2013.

  7. #197
    Professor cmakaioz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Last Seen
    01-22-13 @ 02:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,582

    Re: The new definition of "Racist".

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    not only can and are many blacks racist, but if they choose to...they can attempt to engage in a racist agenda.

    their success may be minimal, but they can still try.
    Facts matter.

    That their success may be minimal is the crux of the difference between being Just Some Local A-holes vs. being Oppressors.

    I could take a flight out to Oahu and try to implement a reversed imperial agenda of a Hawai'ian overthrow of the United States, but I'd be jailed or shot within hours...so yeah...actual (as opposed to hypothetical) institutional power makes a big difference.
    I've moved on to a better forum (scienceforums.net). Facts matter, and I don't have the time or energy for putting up with the pretense that they don't. PM me if you'd like me to get in touch with you when I'm done developing my own forum system, likely towards the end of 2013.

  8. #198
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: The new definition of "Racist".

    Quote Originally Posted by PrometheusBound View Post
    What is better about being a weakling traitor to civilized humanity? Do you feel lonely and picked on by civilized people and hope that the savages will be your friends? All of us are suffering from the anti-racism of this Second Reconstruction Era.
    Please elaborate.
    This is a strange response to what I write.

  9. #199
    Professor

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    08-19-14 @ 02:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,824

    Re: The new definition of "Racist".

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    there are serious historical & socio-economic factors that are directly responsible for these issues. but if you choose to ignore all of this, and just focus on skin color, then you can expect charges of racism.
    "The White devil made them do it"? No, it is the devil inside them that drives their unfit behavior. Turning these people loose on society is no more humanitarian than turning other wild creatures loose. Their behavior in Africa and Haiti, where they have escaped from White domination, proves that it is nature rather than nurture and not the multiculturalists' dangerous and self-assured theory of outside rather than inside forces driving the whole plague.
    On the outside, trickling down on the insiders.
    We won't live free until the 1% live in fear.
    Hey, richboys! Imagine the boot of democracy stomping on your faces, forever.

  10. #200
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: The new definition of "Racist".

    Quote Originally Posted by PrometheusBound View Post
    "The White devil made them do it"?.....
    disgusting strawman.

Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •