View Poll Results: The Hostage Situation

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Do not inform, do not suspect, do not let go.

    1 16.67%
  • Inform, do not suspect, do not let go.

    1 16.67%
  • Do not inform, suspect, do not let go.

    0 0%
  • Inform, suspect, do not let go.

    1 16.67%
  • Do not inform, do not suspect, let go.

    0 0%
  • Inform, do not suspect, let go.

    2 33.33%
  • Do not inform, suspect, let go.

    0 0%
  • Inform, suspect, let go.

    1 16.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: The Hostage Situation

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    09-18-12 @ 08:07 AM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    3,245

    The Hostage Situation

    You are a negotiator talking with a hostage taker with 200 hostages. It could be in an office building, theatre, stadium, shopping mall, or otherwise medium scale location.

    After having a heated discussion, the hostage taker threatens to execute 10 of them if you do not give a timely accurate response describing the condition of the breach team outside.

    First question: Do you do as the hostage taker asks?

    After this situation resolves, the hostage taker promises to let all but 50 go... given a condition.

    The condition is those remaining 50 hostages will be controlled for the next 5-50 years. Every 5 years that pass, 5 hostages will be released. They're insurance to make sure the hostage taker is not harmed. If at any time the hostage taker is harmed, ostracized from, or quarantined in society, some or all of the remaining hostages will be executed via a remote signal. You don't know how this will happen. If you don't believe the hostage taker, he can execute 5 in front of you to show the remote signal is operational.

    The hostage taker will also request medical care to insure against death from old age. If the hostage taker passes on, remaining hostages will be executed if due diligence is not exercised.

    Second question: Do you claim suspicion?

    Third question: Do you let the hostage taker go?
    Last edited by Daktoria; 03-25-12 at 02:23 PM.

  2. #2
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,819

    Re: The Hostage Situation

    You kill the bastard.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    09-18-12 @ 08:07 AM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    3,245

    Re: The Hostage Situation

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    You kill the bastard.
    You understand all 200 hostages will be executed, correct?

  4. #4
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: The Hostage Situation

    Quote Originally Posted by Daktoria View Post
    You are a negotiator talking with a hostage taker with 200 hostages. It could be in an office building, theatre, stadium, shopping mall, or otherwise medium scale location.

    After having a heated discussion, the hostage taker threatens to execute 10 of them if you do not give a timely accurate response describing the condition of the breach team outside.

    First question: Do you do as the hostage taker asks?
    Second question: Do you claim suspicion?
    Third question: Do you let the hostage taker go?
    #1 -- I'll describe everything except the snipers on the roof waiting for a clear shot.
    #2 -- If you mean do I have him execute 5 hostages to prove himself, the answer would be no. So I would not claim suspicion.
    #3 -- No. At the possible expense of the lives of all of the hostages, I would not let him leave with them. Alone? Only 'til a sniper could get a clean shot.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  5. #5
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,819

    Re: The Hostage Situation

    Quote Originally Posted by Daktoria View Post
    You understand all 200 hostages will be executed, correct?
    The Israeli's have it right on this issue - you do NOT negotiatie with terrorists. YOu do what you can to kill who you can. The next team that thinks about it will know what is in store for them. In the longrun, lives are saved.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    09-18-12 @ 08:07 AM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    3,245

    Re: The Hostage Situation

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    The Israeli's have it right on this issue - you do NOT negotiatie with terrorists. YOu do what you can to kill who you can. The next team that thinks about it will know what is in store for them. In the longrun, lives are saved.
    Interesting take.

    Did you consider this could provoke the situation worse? Radicals could interpret your response as confirming of negligence.

    In turn, they could become kamikazes, realizing their lives are meaningless in society, so they might as well do as much damage as possible.

    To be clear, my position on Israel is they should have wiped the Palestinians out and occupied the Sinai Peninsula when they had the chance.

  7. #7
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: The Hostage Situation

    Quote Originally Posted by Daktoria View Post
    After having a heated discussion, the hostage taker threatens to execute 10 of them if you do not give a timely accurate response describing the condition of the breach team outside.
    First question: Do you do as the hostage taker asks?
    Sure, why not. I don't have to tell him the truth. If he was capable of independently verifying the information about the breach team, he wouldn't need me to tell it to him.

    Quote Originally Posted by Daktoria View Post
    After this situation resolves, the hostage taker promises to let all but 50 go... given a condition.

    The condition is those remaining 50 hostages will be controlled for the next 5-50 years. Every 5 years that pass, 5 hostages will be released. They're insurance to make sure the hostage taker is not harmed. If at any time the hostage taker is harmed, ostracized from, or quarantined in society, some or all of the remaining hostages will be executed via a remote signal. You don't know how this will happen. If you don't believe the hostage taker, he can execute 5 in front of you to show the remote signal is operational.

    The hostage taker will also request medical care to insure against death from old age. If the hostage taker passes on, remaining hostages will be executed if due diligence is not exercised.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daktoria View Post
    Second question: Do you claim suspicion?
    No, there is no benefit to doing so. I don't believe for a second he can do what he claims, but I wouldn't tell him that. Either I'm proven wrong, and he kills 5 hostages, or I prove he's bluffing, make him angry and desperate, and who knows what he does.

    Quote Originally Posted by Daktoria View Post
    Third question: Do you let the hostage taker go?
    Yes, under the condition that we are allowed to keep him under minimal surveillance for his own protection, since if he dies, the hostages die too. Then, he leaves, we investigate the claim that he can somehow remotely kill the hostages. If he was lying, we know where he is, and we apprehend him. If he was telling the truth, we disable whatever he was going to do to kill the hostages (probably as simple as sticking them in a faraday cage, so whatever signal he was going to send can't reach them) and then apprehend him.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  8. #8
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,158

    Re: The Hostage Situation

    This situation seems too improbable to really comment on.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    09-18-12 @ 08:07 AM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    3,245

    Re: The Hostage Situation

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    Sure, why not. I don't have to tell him the truth. If he was capable of independently verifying the information about the breach team, he wouldn't need me to tell it to him.
    Perhaps that's the point. It's not a matter of need. It's a matter of seeing whether you're trustworthy.

    If you lie here, why would the hostage taker trust you on letting him go?

    No, there is no benefit to doing so. I don't believe for a second he can do what he claims, but I wouldn't tell him that. Either I'm proven wrong, and he kills 5 hostages, or I prove he's bluffing, make him angry and desperate, and who knows what he does.

    Yes, under the condition that we are allowed to keep him under minimal surveillance for his own protection, since if he dies, the hostages die too. Then, he leaves, we investigate the claim that he can somehow remotely kill the hostages. If he was lying, we know where he is, and we apprehend him. If he was telling the truth, we disable whatever he was going to do to kill the hostages (probably as simple as sticking them in a faraday cage, so whatever signal he was going to send can't reach them) and then apprehend him.
    With the faraday cage, you're confirming the possible point of the first question.

    Often, people don't ask for information for information's sake. They ask for character's sake.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: The Hostage Situation

    Quote Originally Posted by Daktoria View Post
    You are a negotiator talking with a hostage taker with 200 hostages.
    Oh hell no.

    Just patch in Batman, Iron Man, and Wolverine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •