View Poll Results: Moral question: Should we permit everything that doesn't "harm others"?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Everything should be permitted that doesn't "harm others"

    32 68.09%
  • We should have some societal standards based on morals

    10 21.28%
  • We should have more standards than what we have now

    4 8.51%
  • Other

    5 10.64%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 147

Thread: Moral question: Should we permit everything that doesn't "harm others"?

  1. #31
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,952

    Re: Moral question: Should we permit everything that doesn't "harm others"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Now for drugs, there would not be more drug addicts, and yes drug addiction does ruin lives, but when you can get a prescription for heroin, which is what Oxycontin is basically, don't try to tell me that we as a country are concerned about drug addiction. If we really were that **** would be so illegal, the war on drugs is nothing but a money making scheme, and if you really want to stop addiction, you would get rid of the laws we have now, stop putting people into jail for drug possession and use, and put them into rehab centers.

    Also, the number one illegal drug, money, and use wise is marijuana, you legalize that, you get rid of so much crime, and so much violence it would have a great effect on us as a society. Plus all the money we would gain by not wasting it, and how less congested our prisons, and legal system would become. It's amazing that it is not already legalized.
    Oxycontin is an opioid, but it isn't essentially heroin. Right now those medications are extremely, and I mean extremely, regulated. How is a war on drugs a money making scheme when it costs so much? And how does legalizing extremely harmful and addictive substances lessen the amount of addiction? If drugs are legal are less going to be using them?

    I agree somewhat that it's absurd to have people thrown in jail for using drugs (not selling) and I think things should be more rehab based. But legalizing illegal drugs is very harmful and would not benefit American society. People don't have a right to abuse substances nor do they have a right to self treat with legal prescriptive drugs.
    Last edited by digsbe; 03-21-12 at 06:12 PM.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  2. #32
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    38,015

    Re: Moral question: Should we permit everything that doesn't "harm others"?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Moral question: Should we permit everything that doesn't "harm others"? If something doesn't "harm others" should it be legal and permitted? Should we have societal standards? Should we have some legal morals? Do people have a right to do all things they wish so long as others aren't harmed?
    it may depend on what we point out.drug is harmful,for instance,and it is just harmful for the ones who use it.so it must not be permitted ....

  3. #33
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Moral question: Should we permit everything that doesn't "harm others"?

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    Let me be harsh here, thin the herd, most wont self medicate, those that do will die out.
    ಠ_ಠ

    123456789
    Last edited by tacomancer; 03-21-12 at 06:16 PM.

  4. #34
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Moral question: Should we permit everything that doesn't "harm others"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    If prostitution were legal, we could regulate it, which would mean having them wear condoms with all clients, getting medical check-ups regularly, and have it in a place where there is security, and the girls are safe. Also the girls would get a fair wage for their work, and not get ripped off by pimps, which is what happens now. I never said STD's would stop, I'm saying you could reduce it dramatically, and I never said legalize it on street corners, the street corner prostitute would become much more rare in my scenario. And the child thing is a strawman, because I never said anything about that, and it is a completely different issue.

    Now for drugs, there would not be more drug addicts, and yes drug addiction does ruin lives, but when you can get a prescription for heroin, which is what Oxycontin is basically, don't try to tell me that we as a country are concerned about drug addiction. If we really were that **** would be so illegal, the war on drugs is nothing but a money making scheme, and if you really want to stop addiction, you would get rid of the laws we have now, stop putting people into jail for drug possession and use, and put them into rehab centers.

    Also, the number one illegal drug, money, and use wise is marijuana, you legalize that, you get rid of so much crime, and so much violence it would have a great effect on us as a society. Plus all the money we would gain by not wasting it, and how less congested our prisons, and legal system would become. It's amazing that it is not already legalized.
    I support full legalization for marijuana, including use, possession, production and licenced sales to adults.

    Reason? I don't see it as being any worse than booze, and legalizing might deflate the cartels and reduce their power, just as the repeal of Prohibition dramatically reduced the power and influence of 1920s-30s gangster organizations. Not to mention that we've gone nuts with giving too much power to law enforcement in the name of the WoD.

    However, I don't see legalizing crack or meth... too toxic and dangerous. Cocaine, possibly. Heroin, probably not.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  5. #35
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,419
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Moral question: Should we permit everything that doesn't "harm others"?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Those are the things I am mainly focusing on because many would argue that there isn't harm to others with such activities.

    My view is that as a society we should have societal standards. People who are members of society don't have the right to do whatever they want simply because what they do in private doesn't directly harm others (like drugs). I think society, via the government, has a right to create societal standards within the realm of the Constitution.
    But you see digs, they won't make the obese stop eating. Which also has externalities.

    We permit a wide range of activities that pose a risk to the lives of the participants and others, like skydiving.

    The idea that being "high" is wrong is a construct. Mammals seek to alter their consciousness. Little kids spin in circles till they fall down.

    And since prostitution precedes "law" it should have been grandfathered. It probably represents the birth of capitalism.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  6. #36
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,396
    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    I support full legalization for marijuana, including use, possession, production and licenced sales to adults.

    Reason? I don't see it as being any worse than booze, and legalizing might deflate the cartels and reduce their power, just as the repeal of Prohibition dramatically reduced the power and influence of 1920s-30s gangster organizations. Not to mention that we've gone nuts with giving too much power to law enforcement in the name of the WoD.

    However, I don't see legalizing crack or meth... too toxic and dangerous. Cocaine, possibly. Heroin, probably not.


    In the medical world they call "speed" adhd drugs.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  7. #37
    defected to kekistan
    beerftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    kekistan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    13,355

    Re: Moral question: Should we permit everything that doesn't "harm others"?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Oxycontin is an opioid, but it isn't essentially heroin. Right now those medications are highly, and I mean highly, regulated. How is a war on drugs a money making scheme when it costs so much? And how does legalizing extremely harmful and addictive substances lessen the amount of addiction? If drugs are legal are less going to be using them?

    I agree somewhat that it's absurd to have people thrown in jail for using drugs (not selling) and I think things should be more rehab based. But legalizing illegal drugs is very harmful and would not benefit American society. People don't have a right to abuse substances nor do they have a right to self treat with legal prescriptive drugs.
    our medical system prescribes worse than what the streets offer.marijuana is banned for medical use on a federal level but a synthetic shown to be the same as thc,is prescribed and less regulated despite the fact its way more pwerful,i think it was called marinol.we get more er visits from prescription drugs than illegal drugs.

    we prescribe adderal which is basically a weaker form of meth,we prescribe oxycontin which is super addictive.we prescribe percocet which sells for around 20 bucks a pill on the street,i can get high for a day with the money one pill takes,but to some its so addictive.

    i got prescribed percocet 30's ,which is equal to 6 normal percocets prescribed per pill,i was popping about 6 a day because of my pain,after i healed i ended up flushing the last 5 pills because people wanted them that bad.if a 5mg percocet can fetch 20 bucks,people were willing to pay me 300 for those 5 pills,never seen anyone pay that for any hard drugs,yet these arent very regulated because they were aproved for use.
    “[The metric system is the tool of the Devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead, and that’s the way I likes it!” – Abe “Grampa” Simpson”

  8. #38
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,396
    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    ಠ_ಠ

    123456789


    this is sparta!!!!!!!
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  9. #39
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,589
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Moral question: Should we permit everything that doesn't "harm others"?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Illegal drug use is harmful to others. Prostitution is harmful to others. Addiction to substances is harmful to others. I thought you probably meant those kinds of so-called victimless crimes. They are not victimless.
    I disagree. Yes, the people who love a drug addict are affected by the addiction. That does not negate the fact that a consenting adult should have the right to do whatever he/she wishes with his/her own body, be it taking drugs, drinking alcohol, smoking tobacco, whatever. If drugs were legal, global crime cartels would implode overnight, and the money saved on drug enforcement could be funneled into low-cost rehabilitation and education facilities.

    Prostitution should also be legal and regulated. Unless the prostitute is being forced, a violation of many other laws, then she is plying her trade of her own free will. Her clients are there of their own free will. If you're thinking they harm others because of STD's, a legal, regulated prostitute is cleaner and more savvy than the mistress the married guy bonks in the office. If you're thinking about the wives being deceived, that's on the married man who fools around, not on the prostitute.

    Prohibition never works. History has shown us that prohibiting what people can ingest or do with their own bodies does nothing but make felons out of non-criminal citizens, and prop up a profitable crime syndicate to provide a black-market service.

    Both drug laws and prostitution laws are on the books for one reason and one reason only: The continuing need for lots and lots of law enforcement jobs, and the continuing need for government enforcement bureaucracies, like the DEA. If we made drugs and prostitution legal, the supporting crimewave would fold and they'd lose a lot of jobs and power.

  10. #40
    defected to kekistan
    beerftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    kekistan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    13,355

    Re: Moral question: Should we permit everything that doesn't "harm others"?

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    this is sparta!!!!!!!
    “[The metric system is the tool of the Devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead, and that’s the way I likes it!” – Abe “Grampa” Simpson”

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •