View Poll Results: Moral question: Should we permit everything that doesn't "harm others"?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Everything should be permitted that doesn't "harm others"

    32 68.09%
  • We should have some societal standards based on morals

    10 21.28%
  • We should have more standards than what we have now

    4 8.51%
  • Other

    5 10.64%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 147

Thread: Moral question: Should we permit everything that doesn't "harm others"?

  1. #91
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,875

    Re: Moral question: Should we permit everything that doesn't "harm others"?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Moral question: Should we permit everything that doesn't "harm others"? If something doesn't "harm others" should it be legal and permitted? Should we have societal standards? Should we have some legal morals? Do people have a right to do all things they wish so long as others aren't harmed?
    Who are "we" and where did we get the power to permit or disallow? I think you are referring to 'them', our Big Brothers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    The systems that ensure freedom and liberty are breaking down and fundamentalism is growing. Nobody is righteous anymore.


  2. #92
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Moral question: Should we permit everything that doesn't "harm others"?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Moral question: Should we permit everything that doesn't "harm others"? If something doesn't "harm others" should it be legal and permitted? Should we have societal standards? Should we have some legal morals? Do people have a right to do all things they wish so long as others aren't harmed?
    In general, I think people should be free to do what they want as long as it doesn't harm others. The thing is, my definition of harm is broader than direct physical harm. I include psychological harm and societal harm by causing disorder. Consequently, things like public sex and drug legalization sound permissible on the surface, it's possible that they aren't under my standard of judgement because of the psychological harm or societal they might cause.

  3. #93
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Moral question: Should we permit everything that doesn't "harm others"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mensch View Post
    Of course they are. Please give reasoning as to why individual drug use and addiction (not theft to feed the addiction) is harmful to others. Legal, locally regulated prostitution? How does that harm others?
    A society filled with addicted people would be incredibly harmful. Our society would no longer be able to function.

  4. #94
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Moral question: Should we permit everything that doesn't "harm others"?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    A society filled with addicted people would be incredibly harmful. Our society would no longer be able to function.
    So, the only thing stopping you from shooting up heroin is a law which says you cannot?

    Your claim has no substantiated evidence. The point of the response was that individual drug use does not harm others. Can you prove me wrong on this claim?

  5. #95
    Educator Paratrooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Al
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 12:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    888
    I'm actually with you guys on this.

    Legalize drugs. The government can tax it, it will free up the expense of sending drug users through our court system and incarceration, and natural selection can run its course. People stupid enough to do too much can face the consequences of their own actions.

    As far as prostitution it already happens legally in some parts of the us and is legal in europe. If people want to do it, they will find a way, why criminalize it?

    I have even softened my stance on gay marriage over the years. I don't like it but it doesn't do me any harm either.

    Morally I am against these items but I don't believe it is the governments job or right to dictate whether people can or can't engage in these activities.

  6. #96
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Moral question: Should we permit everything that doesn't "harm others"?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    A society filled with addicted people would be incredibly harmful. Our society would no longer be able to function.
    Actually, once they removed themselves from the equation, as a result of their stupidity, society would probably function better.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  7. #97
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Moral question: Should we permit everything that doesn't "harm others"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mensch View Post
    So, the only thing stopping you from shooting up heroin is a law which says you cannot?
    I don't remember saying that. Are you one those dishonest posters who attributes arguments to people that they haven't made? If so, we can end this now because I'm not in the mood.

    Your claim has no substantiated evidence.
    I claimed that a society of addicts would be harmful to society. The consequences of addiction alone are substantiated evidence for my claim. Do you deny that if society (including government, schools, corporations, etc.) were filled with people who were perpetually on heroin, cocaine, meth and everything else, society would be harmed?

    The point of the response was that individual drug use does not harm others. Can you prove me wrong on this claim?
    Individual drug use by many people harms society. The end. It seems like your attempting to keep individual drug use in a vacuum where it's interaction with the world does not exist. Unfortunately for you, I base my opinions on reality and individual drug use does not exist in a vacuum. On the contrary, it exists within a society and consequently, it has effects on society, effects that are harmful. And as I said, a society filled with addicts would be harmful to society.

  8. #98
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Where pissing off the has beens here is fun...
    Last Seen
    04-07-13 @ 09:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,156

    Re: Moral question: Should we permit everything that doesn't "harm others"?

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    I disagree. Yes, the people who love a drug addict are affected by the addiction. That does not negate the fact that a consenting adult should have the right to do whatever he/she wishes with his/her own body, be it taking drugs, drinking alcohol, smoking tobacco, whatever. If drugs were legal, global crime cartels would implode overnight, and the money saved on drug enforcement could be funneled into low-cost rehabilitation and education facilities.

    Prostitution should also be legal and regulated. Unless the prostitute is being forced, a violation of many other laws, then she is plying her trade of her own free will. Her clients are there of their own free will. If you're thinking they harm others because of STD's, a legal, regulated prostitute is cleaner and more savvy than the mistress the married guy bonks in the office. If you're thinking about the wives being deceived, that's on the married man who fools around, not on the prostitute.

    Prohibition never works. History has shown us that prohibiting what people can ingest or do with their own bodies does nothing but make felons out of non-criminal citizens, and prop up a profitable crime syndicate to provide a black-market service.

    Both drug laws and prostitution laws are on the books for one reason and one reason only: The continuing need for lots and lots of law enforcement jobs, and the continuing need for government enforcement bureaucracies, like the DEA. If we made drugs and prostitution legal, the supporting crimewave would fold and they'd lose a lot of jobs and power.
    I think this is a brilliant post...

  9. #99
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Where pissing off the has beens here is fun...
    Last Seen
    04-07-13 @ 09:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,156

    Re: Moral question: Should we permit everything that doesn't "harm others"?

    I think one of the biggest problems with legalizing drugs and all these other things is, what would we do with all these prisons? This is BIG BUSINESS!!! Wall Street has been noticing this over the last 10 yrs and is lobbying hard to privatize more and more of them. This is already a breeding ground for corruption, just think how much worse it would be once it's privatized...People think we are building more prisoners because more people are breaking the law when it's pretty clear that our gov't is creating more laws to fill up more prisons...

  10. #100
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,519

    Re: Moral question: Should we permit everything that doesn't "harm others"?

    Quote Originally Posted by JasonI View Post
    I think one of the biggest problems with legalizing drugs and all these other things is, what would we do with all these prisons? This is BIG BUSINESS!!! Wall Street has been noticing this over the last 10 yrs and is lobbying hard to privatize more and more of them. This is already a breeding ground for corruption, just think how much worse it would be once it's privatized...People think we are building more prisoners because more people are breaking the law when it's pretty clear that our gov't is creating more laws to fill up more prisons...

    Please link to evidence that wall street is lobbying to privatize prisons.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •