View Poll Results: Should women be allowed in combat roles in military?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    60 68.18%
  • No

    21 23.86%
  • IDK/other

    7 7.95%
Page 29 of 43 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 423

Thread: Should women be allowed to serve in combat roles in the military?

  1. #281
    User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-17-16 @ 09:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    57

    Re: Should women be allowed to serve in combat roles in the military?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    The problem is the number of women who could fulfill the roles would be minimum. Lets not even go into extended time in the field without support. Just to many issues for something that is not needed.
    Yes, as outlined earlier to a more minor extent, if studies show such inclusion is not pragmatic for various reasons, e.g., cost-effective analysis, additional barriers than simply women's physical abilities in the field (i.e., "more instinct than professional"), exclusion of women from ground combat roles because an overwhelming majority of them do not meet the physical requirements is reasonable.

    I believe it would be more beneficial to society as a whole, though, that exceptions be permitted (e.g., women who can meet physical demands and any other requirement be permitted to fulfill any post), in terms of equality and acceptance of people based on merit rather than stereotypes. Because a stereotype is true, i.e., women on average are less strong than men, it does not mean universal accurateness. Society should always challenges these concepts, for thinking solely in terms of stereotypes is limiting.

    A world perceived in generalizations is a limited one. For progress and acceptance of difference, stereotypes and generalizations must always be challenged. A society with policy based more on generalizations than individual merit is one founded on limitations of thinking.

  2. #282
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,548

    Re: Should women be allowed to serve in combat roles in the military?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    This has literally nothing to do with it. That is about Santorum's stupid comment about "front lines" which was stupid. Women have been on the front lines since day one, this however is not the same as a ground combat unit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  3. #283
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,548

    Re: Should women be allowed to serve in combat roles in the military?

    Quote Originally Posted by shelphs View Post
    Yes, as outlined earlier to a more minor extent, if studies show such inclusion is not pragmatic for various reasons, e.g., cost-effective analysis, additional barriers than simply women's physical abilities in the field (i.e., "more instinct than professional"), exclusion of women from ground combat roles because an overwhelming majority of them do not meet the physical requirements is reasonable.

    I believe it would be more beneficial to society as a whole, though, that exceptions be permitted (e.g., women who can meet physical demands and any other requirement be permitted to fulfill any post), in terms of equality and acceptance of people based on merit rather than stereotypes. Because a stereotype is true, i.e., women on average are less strong than men, it does not mean universal accurateness. Society should always challenges these concepts, for thinking solely in terms of stereotypes is limiting.

    A world perceived in generalizations is a limited one. For progress and acceptance of difference, stereotypes and generalizations must always be challenged. A society with policy based more on generalizations than individual merit is one founded on limitations of thinking.
    Don't agree. No reason to put women in ground combat rolls. I don't really care about what the public political correctness says about anything. I do know for the reasons the study's have stated and personal experience, it at this time is a bad idea. Of course that is just my opinion.

    PS I don't think this has anything to do with generalizing. It is just looking at it realistically.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 03-20-12 at 06:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  4. #284
    User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-17-16 @ 09:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    57

    Re: Should women be allowed to serve in combat roles in the military?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Don't agree. No reason to put women in ground combat rolls. I don't really care about what the public political correctness says about anything. I do know for the reasons the study's have stated and personal experience, it at this time is a bad idea. Of course that is just my opinion.

    PS I don't think this has anything to do with generalizing. It is just looking at it realistically.

    The last portion of my post diverted from the main theme of the discussion, definitely. Micro-policy affects macro-thinking, is my point. And, though it is realistic - as shown by that British study - to say the average women does not meet physical requirements for ground combat roles, it is not to say an exception exists.

    I am envisioning a woman who does not fall into the category of most women but instead even out-performs some men. It would be a shame to exclude her based on policy that was geared toward a majority or average of individuals instead of the capabilities of the individual.

    As a society, I think it's best to always fight for the right of the individual to be able to do that which they are qualified to do. This is the basis for my stance on maintaining policy that allows for exceptions.

  5. #285
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Should women be allowed to serve in combat roles in the military?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    How would you know? Have you been in the military? It looked pretty important in Afghanistan and Iraq.
    Yes. 82nd Airborne 77-80.

    Yes those are well known facts. That was also desperation and a complete militarizing to confront the Nazi threat. In the end they also removed women from ground combat rolls, why?
    Not because they failed or performed badly.


    This is just an historical view of women in combat, so what? I mean the site is biased and nothing more than opinion, as far as commentary goes.
    They've been there.

    No. I think it's far fetched because it IS far fetched. It's about as reasonable as me saying...

    Well what if all the water on the planet dried up? In response to someone wanting a drink of water. That is how silly your premise is.
    No, it isn't. It seems unreasonable to you because you don't consider possibilities, don't see beyond your preconceived notion.


    The evidence shows it is.
    No, it doesn't. The evidence you provided is grounded in the assumption. It doesn't ask what if the assumption is wrong?



    Because the premise is stupid and fly's in the face of reason.
    Telling yourself that helps you avoid challenging your assumptions.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #286
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,548

    Re: Should women be allowed to serve in combat roles in the military?

    Quote Originally Posted by shelphs View Post
    The last portion of my post diverted from the main theme of the discussion, definitely. Micro-policy affects macro-thinking, is my point. And, though it is realistic - as shown by that British study - to say the average women does not meet physical requirements for ground combat roles, it is not to say an exception exists.
    Many exceptions exist. I have known quite a few women who could do a decent job of it.

    Quote Originally Posted by shelphs View Post
    I am envisioning a woman who does not fall into the category of most women but instead even out-performs some men. It would be a shame to exclude her based on policy that was geared toward a majority or average of individuals instead of the capabilities of the individual.
    I disagree based on modern precedent. Anytime females have been put in a roll that requires brute strength or high endurance like fireman etc. The standards were lowered to fit the common denominator. I will put it like this...

    I hope if I am injured and in a building that is burning, she is not the one to find me because if she can't even move a 90lbs dummy 25ft, what chance would she have of saving me?

    That is the main reason I would not support this. I agree with you as far as principal goes but unfortunately it seems to go overboard in the real world.

    Quote Originally Posted by shelphs View Post
    As a society, I think it's best to always fight for the right of the individual to be able to do that which they are qualified to do. This is the basis for my stance on maintaining policy that allows for exceptions.
    I would agree if that is the way it worked. So far in every real world situation from the dumbing down of school curriculum's for minority students to the physical requirements for fireman and police. In the end we lose quality for quantity in the name of equality. Unfortunately in the end there is nothing equal about it.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 03-20-12 at 07:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  7. #287
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124
    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Say ALL men became ill, couldn't do anything any more. Would fires simply not be fought and be allowed to burn? Would there be no more police? Would we no longer defend ourselves? I believe there was a test once, and I haven't looked for it on the internet, in which a group of men and a group of women were given a task that required endurance, strength, and intelligence. Women won the test. The point is not that women are better, because that was truly too small a sample to reach such a conclusion. but what was interesting is they tackled the problems differently, but just as effectively. Isn't possible that we become too married to standards that really don't matter? I'm only asking.
    If all men became ill then were dealing with an advanced NBC weapon.

    In this case, once again, there is only 1 way to properly and efectivly use a chem suit.

  8. #288
    User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    03-21-12 @ 11:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7

    Re: Should women be allowed to serve in combat roles in the military?

    Yes because if women want to fight and die for their country then let them.

  9. #289
    User patrickbwayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    04-10-12 @ 09:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36

    Re: Should women be allowed to serve in combat roles in the military?

    I say absolutely let them serve. I've been married 36 years and quite frankly the idea of a woman coming after me with a M-16 scares the bejeebes out of me... I say not only let them serve on the front line but make sure they have enough ammunition.

  10. #290
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,548

    Re: Should women be allowed to serve in combat roles in the military?

    Quote Originally Posted by patrickbwayne View Post
    I say absolutely let them serve. I've been married 36 years and quite frankly the idea of a woman coming after me with a M-16 scares the bejeebes out of me... I say not only let them serve on the front line but make sure they have enough ammunition.
    I don't agree with you but awesome post anyway, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

Page 29 of 43 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •