View Poll Results: Is a State Animal Abuse Registry a good idea?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES- this is a good idea

    27 36.00%
  • NO - this is not necessary

    39 52.00%
  • I like to abuse animals and do not want to be stopped

    3 4.00%
  • I am an animal

    6 8.00%
Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 402

Thread: Animal Abuse Registry

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Animal Abuse Registry

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    I realize there are shortcomings to the sex offender list. While the inspiration comes from that list, please, this is a different thing. Animal abuse is a problem. As laid out here by others, there is a statistically significant connection between animal abuse and violence against people.
    Radcen does make an important point. There will undoubtedly be people whose lives/credibility are ruined if they're mistakenly charged with animal cruelty.

    And then there's another question. We have lists of sex offenders for parents and such to know who exactly has the possibility of harming their children. These parents can check on a website and will collect the locations of all sex offenders within a determined range.

    With animal abusers it's a bit different. I haven't heard of any stories of animal abusers coming after your pets, or anyone else's. Parents [I think] don't have to worry about their pets being abducted by animal abusers. It doesn't seem to have the level of importance as knowing who could snatch your kid. It's more like a list to just gawk at the evil animal abusers. Perhaps the money put towards said lists could be better spent on locating and dealing with animal abusers more efficiently and effectively?

  2. #62
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Animal Abuse Registry

    these people are already on a database... assuming they have been convicted of a crime against animals.
    why do we need another database to put them on?

    what is going to qualify these people to be on the list?.. misdemeanors? felonies? rumors? merely an investigation?


    how do you ever get off the list?.. or is this a perpetual scarlet letter punishment?

    who can gain access to this database?... law enforcement or the general public?

  3. #63
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Animal Abuse Registry

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    I realize there are shortcomings to the sex offender list. While the inspiration comes from that list, please, this is a different thing. Animal abuse is a problem. As laid out here by others, there is a statistically significant connection between animal abuse and violence against people.
    I am not questioning that there are animal abusers out there. I am questioning the wisdom of creating more problems... which I believe to be politically inevitable, given our history, I'm sorry... in the quest to solve problems. It sounds good. It feels good. Is it wise and well thought out? No, I don't think it is.

    What is the bill's author doing to fix the sex offender's list?* That is more important, IMO, and would also alleviate much of my fears regarding any new lists they may want to create.

    *- My guess is nothing.

  4. #64
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,661
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Animal Abuse Registry

    I think it's an excellent idea, and here's why. Out where I live, there are all kinds of calls about animal abuse, usually from neighbors who see emaciated horses, goats and cattle in the field, starving dogs tied to a stake and the like. Once animal control steps in and takes charge of the animals, a report is issued. These reports should be collated so that breeders, animal shelters, livestock auctions can make a simple check of the registry to make certain they aren't selling or adopting out animals to people who have been ticketed for abuse.

    For example, our local animal shelter tries to screen potential adoptive parents, but there's no way to know if that nice guy who took an entire litter of kittens really loves cats, or has a history of using kittens as bait to train fighting dogs. The cost would be minimal. A couple of people statewide to perform some routine data entry, or write software that makes entries automatically when such reports are generated.

    I'm for it.

  5. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    10-13-12 @ 02:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,556

    Re: Animal Abuse Registry

    Any law that protects animals is fine with me, it's more than fine IT'S EXPECTED and I applaud it with all my heart!

  6. #66
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Animal Abuse Registry

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    these people are already on a database... assuming they have been convicted of a crime against animals.
    why do we need another database to put them on?

    what is going to qualify these people to be on the list?.. misdemeanors? felonies? rumors? merely an investigation?


    how do you ever get off the list?.. or is this a perpetual scarlet letter punishment?

    who can gain access to this database?... law enforcement or the general public?
    This continual employment of big brother tactics is rather dangerous as well. As pointed out, these lists aren't foolproof and there's no real regulation or oversight. If you get on one, even if by mistake, it can have devastating consequences. There is no continual need to database the whole of the American citizenry.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #67
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Animal Abuse Registry

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    This continual employment of big brother tactics is rather dangerous as well. As pointed out, these lists aren't foolproof and there's no real regulation or oversight. If you get on one, even if by mistake, it can have devastating consequences. There is no continual need to database the whole of the American citizenry.
    ...and getting off one, even when proven innocent, is too often extremely difficult if not downright impossible.

  8. #68
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Animal Abuse Registry

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    I think it's an excellent idea, and here's why. Out where I live, there are all kinds of calls about animal abuse, usually from neighbors who see emaciated horses, goats and cattle in the field, starving dogs tied to a stake and the like. Once animal control steps in and takes charge of the animals, a report is issued. These reports should be collated so that breeders, animal shelters, livestock auctions can make a simple check of the registry to make certain they aren't selling or adopting out animals to people who have been ticketed for abuse.

    For example, our local animal shelter tries to screen potential adoptive parents, but there's no way to know if that nice guy who took an entire litter of kittens really loves cats, or has a history of using kittens as bait to train fighting dogs. The cost would be minimal. A couple of people statewide to perform some routine data entry, or write software that makes entries automatically when such reports are generated.

    I'm for it.
    i'm not so sure the cost would be minimal....we've all been sold that story before.

    and really, if a dude abuses animals in one state.. and tries to adopt in another.. then what?
    the state scenario goes out the window and folks will try to make it federal... and the costs go up quite a bit with that scenario.
    states have different laws concerning animal cruelty.. for instance, in some states it's illegal to kill and eat dogs or cats ( companion animals).. in others , it's not.

    if it sticks to the state level.. well, i really don't care what people do in other states.... if they want to pay for such a program and they feel it serves a valid public interest.. good for them... enjoy your new database.

    I like the sentiment of it all ( i'm very pro animal)... but the implementation and operation of it..well, i'm not excited over it. ... we already have too many databases, lists, and registries.
    i'm surprised no one , as of yet, has floated the idea of simply making a database for each individual person and filling it with as much information about us as possible and then having it be publicly available.
    but i'm sure i'll see that before I die.

  9. #69
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Animal Abuse Registry

    Honest question for those who wholeheartedly support this idea:

    How do you propose to safeguard that the list is legit, and that there are no unintended consequences that plague virtually all the other similar lists?

    Unintended consequences including innocent people being caught up in it, and so on. Just one example.

    I don't dispute the issue of animal abuse, but when the proposed law is being drafted is the best time to think things through thoroughly and put these safeguards in. Because, as we know, politicians don't have enough backbone to go back and fix them after the damage has been done.

  10. #70
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:33 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,006

    Re: Animal Abuse Registry

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I am not questioning that there are animal abusers out there. I am questioning the wisdom of creating more problems... which I believe to be politically inevitable, given our history, I'm sorry... in the quest to solve problems. It sounds good. It feels good. Is it wise and well thought out? No, I don't think it is.

    What is the bill's author doing to fix the sex offender's list?* That is more important, IMO, and would also alleviate much of my fears regarding any new lists they may want to create.

    *- My guess is nothing.
    Perhaps the author of the bill should find a cure for cancer or achieve world peace as well?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •