View Poll Results: Is a State Animal Abuse Registry a good idea?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES- this is a good idea

    27 36.00%
  • NO - this is not necessary

    39 52.00%
  • I like to abuse animals and do not want to be stopped

    3 4.00%
  • I am an animal

    6 8.00%
Page 19 of 41 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 402

Thread: Animal Abuse Registry

  1. #181
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-28-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    Re: Animal Abuse Registry

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    It is trivial and the punishment should fit the crime. Animals are property and have no rights. If an animal harms a human it is killed, not the other way around. Someone who is careless or lazy for whatever reason should not be put on a public list for life and treated like a criminal because of a misdemeanor animal abuse charge, period.




    According to that most hunters and fisherman should be on that list as well. Hell they maim, mutilate and wound living animals all the time. That's how ridicules this list is.
    This is not applicable.
    Nope try reading the statute that is already ion the books in contecxt



    Wow the appeal to common practice fallacy shows how weak your argument really is.
    This is ridiculous.

  2. #182
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-28-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    Re: Animal Abuse Registry

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Apt description more like it.
    You still have not spoken with specificity I have no idea what you are talking about.



    Humans are better than animals, yes.
    I was addressing your statement as follows:"I would personally beat the **** out of every animal I came across if it could prevent lists like this." as per Ikari


    How could it benefit other than giving noisy people another thing though which they can single others out? There’s no “benefit”, it won’t stop animal abuse. All this comes down to is yet another government list, more monitoring, and more busybodies thinking they should be in everyone’s business. Though I guess that’s what busybodies do
    Here are some of the benefits:
    Quote Originally Posted by Connery View Post
    This is a great idea not only how it would track those that have a track record of such activity and prevent ownership for such people, but it would effect how animal abuse is perceived. For example in treating those with antisocial behavior or a history of domestic violence. This would be a good tool for those who treat the abusers and help toward a better understanding of the psychology and /or behavioral pattern of the abusers. Not to mention keep these abusive pricks away from animals.

    The Connection between Domestic Violence and Animal Cruelty

    Facts About Animal Abuse & Domestic Violence

  3. #183
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Animal Abuse Registry

    Quote Originally Posted by Connery View Post
    This is not applicable.

    Nope try reading the statute that is already ion the books in contecxt
    I have no idea what local, state or national law that may or may not be. You posted it without any context. This however is applicable. So if you maim, kill or injure an animal while hunting or in a slaughter house it's OK as long as it is not a pet? Give me a break.

    Quote Originally Posted by Connery View Post
    This is ridiculous.
    Oh it is?

    Whether you like it or not just about every facet of society has "list" attached to it, even an internet forum. - Connery

    Appeal To Common Practice:

    The Appeal to Common Practice is a fallacy with the following structure:

    X is a common action.
    Therefore X is correct/moral/justified/reasonable, etc.

    The basic idea behind the fallacy is that the fact that most people do X is used as "evidence" to support the action or practice. It is a fallacy because the mere fact that most people do something does not make it correct, moral, justified, or reasonable.


    Dead on my friend. Yes a weak argument that smacks of fallacy with not a shred of evidence to back up it's validity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  4. #184
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Animal Abuse Registry

    Quote Originally Posted by Connery View Post
    This is a great idea not only how it would track those that have a track record of such activity and prevent ownership for such people, but it would effect how animal abuse is perceived. For example in treating those with antisocial behavior or a history of domestic violence. This would be a good tool for those who treat the abusers and help toward a better understanding of the psychology and /or behavioral pattern of the abusers. Not to mention keep these abusive pricks away from animals.

    The Connection between Domestic Violence and Animal Cruelty

    Facts About Animal Abuse & Domestic Violence
    This is thought crime at best. Just because someone may be more likely to do something, it does NOT give anyone including the government the right to spy or track them, or in any way single them out.

    So basically you want to single out people for crimes they have not yet commuted based on other disconnected crimes.

    Welcome to 1984.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 03-21-12 at 12:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #185
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-28-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    Re: Animal Abuse Registry

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I have no idea what local, state or national law that may or may not be. You posted it without any context. This however is applicable. So if you maim, kill or injure an animal while hunting or in a slaughter house it's OK as long as it is not a pet? Give me a break.

    I agree you do not have any idea what you are talking about . I present law you respond with assumptions.



    Oh it is?

    Whether you like it or not just about every facet of society has "list" attached to it, even an internet forum. - Connery

    Appeal To Common Practice:

    The Appeal to Common Practice is a fallacy with the following structure:

    X is a common action.
    Therefore X is correct/moral/justified/reasonable, etc.

    The basic idea behind the fallacy is that the fact that most people do X is used as "evidence" to support the action or practice. It is a fallacy because the mere fact that most people do something does not make it correct, moral, justified, or reasonable.


    Dead on my friend. Yes a weak argument that smacks of fallacy with not a shred of evidence to back up it's validity
    This argument does not speak to the issues in this OP. Moreover, it was merely presented to represent custom and practice, of which you tacitly agreed when you became an active member of that society/ organization.



    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    This is thought crime at best. Just because someone may be more likely to do something, it does NOT give anyone including the government the right to spy or track them, or in any way single them out.

    So basically you want to single out people for crimes they have not yet commuted based on other disconnected crimes.

    Welcome to 1984.

    More opinion. When you present authority on which you base your opinion then we can have a discussion on the merits.

  6. #186
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Animal Abuse Registry

    Quote Originally Posted by Connery View Post
    You still have not spoken with specificity I have no idea what you are talking about.
    You’re little spiel on how great another government enforced list would be.

    Quote Originally Posted by Connery View Post
    I was addressing your statement as follows:"I would personally beat the **** out of every animal I came across if it could prevent lists like this." as per Ikari
    Yes, humans are better than animals. The expansion of government in this form against the individual is not warranted. I stand by the comment. If we are talking about aggressive Big Brother databasing of humans for some unproven, perceived, and imagined benefit for the animal; it’s a no brainer. The animal loses. Property loses to humans.


    Quote Originally Posted by Connery View Post
    Here are some of the benefits:
    Those are some unproven benefits laid forth by you with no supporting data, yes. But it’s not actually demonstrated “benefit”.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #187
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Animal Abuse Registry

    Quote Originally Posted by Connery View Post
    I agree you do not have any idea what you are talking about . I present law you respond with assumptions.
    Now you resort to ad hominems and no substance. You present some code from who knows where with no link and expect someone to know where you got it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Connery View Post
    This argument does not speak to the issues in this OP. Moreover, it was merely presented to represent custom and practice, of which you tacitly agreed when you became an active member of that society/ organization.
    In other words... You got nothing.

    It is still nothing but a fallacy that proves nothing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Connery View Post
    More opinion. When you present authority on which you base your opinion then we can have a discussion on the merits.
    Again you have nothing.

    Duly noted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  8. #188
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Animal Abuse Registry

    There are many reasons I am opposed to this registry concept but your reasoning is not among them.

    I'm old enough to remember when women were held in the same low regard. Beating your wife was an acceptable practice. Killing your wife for unfaithfulness was barely punished. Women were property and were kept at home to produce babies and clean houses.

    In time, the attitude that some hold toward animals will change and the mistreatment that is "no big deal" to you will become unacceptable to a civilized society. People like myself, who have taken the time to construct a communicative relationship with our furry partners will ultimately out-influence those of you who view your cat and you Ipod as being in the same category. You will come to learn that animals have emotions, desires, ideals and objectives, just as you do, even if they communicate them in other ways.

    Yes, humans are better than animals. The expansion of government in this form against the individual is not warranted. I stand by the comment. If we are talking about aggressive Big Brother databasing of humans for some unproven, perceived, and imagined benefit for the animal; it’s a no brainer. The animal loses. Property loses to humans

  9. #189
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-28-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    Re: Animal Abuse Registry

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Now you resort to ad hominems and no substance. You present some code from who knows where with no link and expect someone to know where you got it?
    No I quoted you. "I have no idea what local, state or national law that may or may not be."



    In other words... You got nothing.

    It is still nothing but a fallacy that proves nothing.



    Again you have nothing.

    Duly noted
    This statement has no merit whatsoever.

  10. #190
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Animal Abuse Registry

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    There are many reasons I am opposed to this registry concept but your reasoning is not among them.

    I'm old enough to remember when women were held in the same low regard. Beating your wife was an acceptable practice. Killing your wife for unfaithfulness was barely punished. Women were property and were kept at home to produce babies and clean houses.

    In time, the attitude that some hold toward animals will change and the mistreatment that is "no big deal" to you will become unacceptable to a civilized society. People like myself, who have taken the time to construct a communicative relationship with our furry partners will ultimately out-influence those of you who view your cat and you Ipod as being in the same category. You will come to learn that animals have emotions, desires, ideals and objectives, just as you do, even if they communicate them in other ways.
    Animals do not have ideals, and as for desires they amount to eat, sleep, play, procreate and defecate. The only pertinent objective any animal has is purely instinct for the most part. Some animals are very intelligent, but they are not human and never will be. If you own a pet, it is property. Now this does not mean a society should mistreat animals in any way, but they are still property and not in any way human.

    No one including Ikari has said a thing about abuse not being a big deal. We are saying it does not justify more government intervention when it is already a public record, and serves no real purpose other than make people targets.

    How you came to the conclusion is beyond me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

Page 19 of 41 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •