View Poll Results: Should unapproved lemonade stands be illegal?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the law is the law... string 'em up!

    0 0%
  • No, quit being so anal.

    47 90.38%
  • This one's a toughie. I can't decide.

    1 1.92%
  • Other.

    4 7.69%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 75

Thread: Should unapproved lemonade stands be illegal?

  1. #11
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Should unapproved lemonade stands be illegal?

    I think it kind of depends. If it's just some kid selling lemonade in their front yard or whatever, leave them alone. If it's an organization that is selling it or they're set up somewhere in public where they're getting a lot more traffic, or it's some kind of fundraiser or something, then maybe they should get a permit.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Should unapproved lemonade stands be illegal?

    small kids selling infront of their house? leave em' alone.

    high school students with a larger operation on public property? they need a permit.

    remember, these permits aren't just to harrass folks..they are also to protect the health of the folks who drink the lemonade.

  3. #13
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Should unapproved lemonade stands be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    small kids selling infront of their house? leave em' alone.

    high school students with a larger operation on public property? they need a permit.

    remember, these permits aren't just to harrass folks..they are also to protect the health of the folks who drink the lemonade.
    'Splain to me how paying $50 for a permit makes lemonade safer. I'll wait.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  4. #14
    Guru
    ChuckBerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Last Seen
    10-28-13 @ 01:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,491

    Re: Should unapproved lemonade stands be illegal?

    It would make me want to buy lower quality water to save on the per serving cost of the lemonade.

    "Getcha water here! Water for sale!"

    "What prices are you asking for your water?"

    "Well this water here is high grade stuff, you'll pay top price for that, but this water is cheaper."

    "How come?"

    "Well, somebody tinkled in it."

    "How much tinkle?"

    "You'll hardly notice."

    "Hm..."
    The morality of abortion is not a religious belief, any more than the morality of slavery, apartheid, rape, larceny, murder or arson is a religious belief. These are norms of the natural law of mankind and can be legislated even in a completely religionless society.

  5. #15
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should unapproved lemonade stands be illegal?

    Hmm...thought the government would have better things to do.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 09:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,984

    Re: Should unapproved lemonade stands be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Should unapproved lemonade stands be illegal? Or, is this a prime example of bureaucrats and government going beyond their legitimate bounds?

    Every so often, almost like clockwork, there will be a news story about a kids lemonade stand being shut down because they don't have proper permits, health inspections, or whatever. A good example this the recent John Stossel report linked in this thread.

    Personally, I am torn. On the one hand... it's kids trying to make some money... and doing something both educational and constructive in the process. Especially when the business license/permit thing comes in. Give it a break and leave the kids alone. I'm a believer that the intent of the law is more important than the letter of the law (in most instances), and I don't see any harm being done here. Not to local businesses, not to anybody. The government and other strict law-and-order types will lose me every time if they try and argue this point.

    Where the other hand comes in is the health angle. Part of me again wants to say "they're just kids", but I am also old enough to remember what is a more relatively innocent time when the vast majority of kids wouldn't dick with other people by putting something unhealthy in the lemonade they're selling. Just for their own 'fun'. Granted, most kids still wouldn't, but in today's society I think some would.

    What say you?
    Small kids selling in front of their house? Leave them alone.

    Adults selling from a store? Leave them alone.

    Someone sells tainted, spoiled, poisoned lemonade, bust them and fine and/or jail them. (Followed of course by the civil suits)

    A permit is irrelevant and unnecessary to protect anyone.

  7. #17
    User John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    02-16-13 @ 09:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    72

    Re: Should unapproved lemonade stands be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Hmm...thought the government would have better things to do.
    ...it seems, you thought wrong....

    There is nothing more dangerous to the liberties of our citizens than a politician with free time.

  8. #18
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,709

    Re: Should unapproved lemonade stands be illegal?

    There's always money in the Banana Stand.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  9. #19
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Should unapproved lemonade stands be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Should unapproved lemonade stands be illegal? Or, is this a prime example of bureaucrats and government going beyond their legitimate bounds?

    Every so often, almost like clockwork, there will be a news story about a kids lemonade stand being shut down because they don't have proper permits, health inspections, or whatever. A good example this the recent John Stossel report linked in this thread.

    Personally, I am torn. On the one hand... it's kids trying to make some money... and doing something both educational and constructive in the process. Especially when the business license/permit thing comes in. Give it a break and leave the kids alone. I'm a believer that the intent of the law is more important than the letter of the law (in most instances), and I don't see any harm being done here. Not to local businesses, not to anybody. The government and other strict law-and-order types will lose me every time if they try and argue this point.

    Where the other hand comes in is the health angle. Part of me again wants to say "they're just kids", but I am also old enough to remember what is a more relatively innocent time when the vast majority of kids wouldn't dick with other people by putting something unhealthy in the lemonade they're selling. Just for their own 'fun'. Granted, most kids still wouldn't, but in today's society I think some would.

    What say you?
    I posted "Other."

    Just make a website that shows a video of basic food safety practices. Have it so that, at random intervals, people will have to click on the site to ensure they don't play it and then leave. Then, at the end of the video, have the person enter their e-mail address. They'll get an e-mail back saying they're certified in that they watched the video and they are aware of all that's expected of them.

    And then if anything bad happens to the customers they can sue them and their parents for everything they're worth.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  10. #20
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Should unapproved lemonade stands be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    I don't see any reason for the govt. to go after little kids trying to run a lemonade stand. When I was a kid most of the people who bought the lemonade didn't even drink it! It was just a cute neighborhood thing kids did.
    kids who operate lemonade stands and the like have been demonstrated to be taking the lion share of income distributed to 7-10 year olds in America. we need to tax and regulate them in order to ensure fairness to the other children.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •