View Poll Results: Is there a War on Women?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    34 23.29%
  • No

    80 54.79%
  • Yes and No

    15 10.27%
  • Something else

    17 11.64%
Page 41 of 53 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 410 of 529

Thread: Is there a "War on Women" in the United States?

  1. #401
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:27 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,551

    Re: Is there a "War on Women" in the United States?

    For those who believe there is a "war on women", how will you determine when the war is over?

    What would "victory for women" look like?

  2. #402
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Is there a "War on Women" in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    For those who believe there is a "war on women", how will you determine when the war is over?

    What would "victory for women" look like?
    Well I clocked in as a 'yes and no' via poll.

    'yes' from some people - 'no' from the majority.

    I won't see it as an issue at all when we can remove legislation that demands equal pay for the same work (for example) without having to worry about the average woman suddenly getting paid less to do the same thing that her male counterpart may be doing.

    Or when we don't have to keep rehashing the necessity of birth control being available - and so on.

    Right now - it's hard to tell where we stand because a lot of things are legislated and the threat of finding oneself in legal trouble seems to govern the actions of some is strong incentive to appear one way - while they'd swing another if these measures were lifted.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  3. #403
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:27 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,551

    Re: Is there a "War on Women" in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post

    Or when we don't have to keep rehashing the necessity of birth control being available - and so on.
    Birth control is FAR from a male vs female issue.

    Many women are firmly in the camp of the Catholic dogma regarding birth control.

  4. #404
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Is there a "War on Women" in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Don't pretend that the entire world can be summarized accurately in numbers - numbers are an attempt to explain and keep track, they don't account for everything. . . and the ycan be misleading when other things that are heavily involved cannot be mapped.
    This is not what you said or what I replied about. No one said anything about accounting for everything, including you.

    You said "Because some statistics are deceiving: people think that statistics can be a true measure of reality - Aunt Spiker

    So again what does a number or statistic have to do with reality insofar as plain old data? I'll tell you again, nothing. No one so far in this thread has said anything at all about any data saying anything at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    anyone who is a statistician knows this - it's a flaw. Doesn't mean they're not useful or beneficial - but numbers don't always paint the entire picture. You can't pretend that they do.
    Who is pretending simple numbers are painting anything at all? Please point this out as you brought it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #405
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:27 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,551

    Re: Is there a "War on Women" in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post

    Right now - it's hard to tell where we stand because a lot of things are legislated and the threat of finding oneself in legal trouble seems to govern the actions of some is strong incentive to appear one way - while they'd swing another if these measures were lifted.
    How much of the need for that legislation is solely because of the actions of a very small minority?

    There are many major corporations that are run by women. I mentioned Pepsi and DuPont in an earlier post.

    You've also got mega-conglomerate's like the Oprah and Martha Stewart kinds.

    Would you deny that the opportunities are there for women to grab?

    Would you deny that women now have more power in the workforce than ever before?

  6. #406
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Is there a "War on Women" in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    How much of the need for that legislation is solely because of the actions of a very small minority?

    There are many major corporations that are run by women. I mentioned Pepsi and DuPont in an earlier post. You've also got mega-conglomerate's like the Oprah and Martha Stewart kinds. Would you deny that the opportunities are there for women to grab? Would you deny that women now have more power in the workforce than ever before?
    Her concern is that the moment those legal barriers go away, the male portion of society will push women right back where they were 100 years ago.

  7. #407
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,990

    Re: Is there a "War on Women" in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Or when we don't have to keep rehashing the necessity of birth control being available - and so on.
    Oh for the love of ****ing christ.

    Who was honestly arguing that birth control not be available?

    Mandating Health Insurance provide coverage for birth control, or mandating that all businesses use health care that supports coverage for birth control, is not in any way shape or form arguing that it shouldn't be available.

    Secondly, how the **** is "birth control"....not drugs needed to help with medical issues that happen to also be able to double as birth control...but "BIRTH CONTROL", IE items taken and gotten SPECIFICALLY to prevent pregnancy, a "woman's" issue alone? Does pregnancy have no effect on men in this society what so ever? Are women needing this birth control for masturbatory purposes? Are men somehow disallowed or unable to purchase birth control? I sure as hell know that as a man, if birth control was actually made "not available" (which is a non-existant argument on any legitimate level) it would affect me a hell of a lot. Woman's issue my ass, that's a human issue. It affects more than just women. Thankfully, contrary to the strawmen thrown out by liberals for the past months, there is no significant or legitimate movement to make birth control unvailable.

  8. #408
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:27 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,551

    Re: Is there a "War on Women" in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Her concern is that the moment those legal barriers go away, the male portion of society will push women right back where they were 100 years ago.
    As there are women out there who support and condone Sharia law, and cultish societies like the FLDS, I can't say such a thing would be impossible, but I'd say the realistic possibility of such a thing happening is next to null.

    As a parent of daughters, I'd never suggest they not strive for whatever goals make them happy.
    They both played ice-hockey as kids as two of only three girls on the team of all boys, and learned to shoot a gun and a bow and arrow. One wants to become a Physician's Assistant or get into bio-genetics, and the other is leaning towards marine biology.

    I would never want to think they're incapable of achieving a specific occupational goal simply because of their gender.

  9. #409
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Is there a "War on Women" in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Oh for the love of ****ing christ.

    Who was honestly arguing that birth control not be available?

    Mandating Health Insurance provide coverage for birth control, or mandating that all businesses use health care that supports coverage for birth control, is not in any way shape or form arguing that it shouldn't be available.

    Secondly, how the **** is "birth control"....not drugs needed to help with medical issues that happen to also be able to double as birth control...but "BIRTH CONTROL", IE items taken and gotten SPECIFICALLY to prevent pregnancy, a "woman's" issue alone? Does pregnancy have no effect on men in this society what so ever? Are women needing this birth control for masturbatory purposes? Are men somehow disallowed or unable to purchase birth control? I sure as hell know that as a man, if birth control was actually made "not available" (which is a non-existant argument on any legitimate level) it would affect me a hell of a lot. Woman's issue my ass, that's a human issue. It affects more than just women. Thankfully, contrary to the strawmen thrown out by liberals for the past months, there is no significant or legitimate movement to make birth control unvailable.
    In general I don't support 'mandating' insurance measures of any sort. . . so that's not what I was referring to. I don't consider whether it's covered by insurance or not to be 'availability' - That's just an insurance quandary. If you want certain things covered by insurance then find an insurance policy that covers those things.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  10. #410
    Professor
    Luna Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: Is there a "War on Women" in the United States?

    In 2008 90,000 women reported they were raped. Another 75,000 rapes were unreported. Yes, there's a war against women.

    Source: CBS News
    Exclusive: Rape in America: Justice Denied - CBS News

Page 41 of 53 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •