View Poll Results: Is there a War on Women?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    34 23.29%
  • No

    80 54.79%
  • Yes and No

    15 10.27%
  • Something else

    17 11.64%
Page 39 of 53 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 390 of 529

Thread: Is there a "War on Women" in the United States?

  1. #381
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Is there a "War on Women" in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Absolutely true - it's more prevalent then people think.
    I don't understand how anyone can deny that it even exists. The data are clear that women are at a disadvantage in so many sectors of the economy. The simple truth is that men hold the power in society for the most part, and this is due to a number of historical and social factors.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  2. #382
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,548

    Re: Is there a "War on Women" in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    I don't understand how anyone can deny that it even exists. The data are clear that women are at a disadvantage in so many sectors of the economy. The simple truth is that men hold the power in society for the most part, and this is due to a number of historical and social factors.
    No one is saying it does not exist. At least I have not seen it. people are saying it is not a war on women. It's not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  3. #383
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Is there a "War on Women" in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Tigger - when it comes to those who produce the means of survival you sure as hell aren't on the list of people I'd go to for that. LOL - a lot of guys aren't, in fact . . . this macho 'men should' junk you spit out is silly considering you admittedly fail at everything that you claim men should be doing.
    Not at all. I am more than capable of providing for myself and my family (should there ever be one). That is what a Man "should" do. I'm not sure what else there is that you're referring to? There is no dishonor in waiting to find a proper woman before engaging in a relationship. In fact it should be the standard rather than the exception.

  4. #384
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:43 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,564

    Re: Is there a "War on Women" in the United States?

    Forgive me if this has already been covered, I've not the time to read through the previous 38 pages of posts.

    When I read the word "war" as it's implied in this setting, I can't help but think of a concerted, premeditated, and accepted attack with a select purpose and goal.

    For those who think there's a "war on women", surely you're not suggesting that men are getting together in "secret meetings" and actively planning how to subjugate and oppress the ladies are you?

    I assume you're not implying a concentrated and defined effort that the majority of men are in concert with and agree is the best path forward for all are you?

    Of course there are still hurdles for females when it comes to certain aspects of life in modern western society, but to imply there's a "war" against them is ludicrous.

    Women have made HUGE strides in breaking through boundaries and it's not been because they haven't had the help and acceptance of men along the way.

    There are more women in college than men.
    There are women running major corporations like Pepsi and Dupont.

    Is there true equality? Not yet.

    Are we closer than ever before to having equality? Absolutely.

    A "war on women"?

    No. Not in the USofA.

  5. #385
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Is there a "War on Women" in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    I think that this thread and many of the posters seem to be completely dismissing women and some barriers and personal struggles women currently face. Have I felt personally offended because I have experienced sexism? Yes, I have. Sexism isn't dead. If any woman here can say she hasn't experienced it, either in some extreme, physically violent form or some lesser form of derogatory or insult, then you're a lucky one.

    I have seen too many men not respect women.

    The blindness and dismissive tone in this thread is most aggravating thing to see.
    Who here is saying sexism doesn't exist?

    What seems to be suggested is it isn't some epedimic that is systematic across the country that is "warring against" Women to deny them rights.

    You experienced Sexism. Wow that sucks. You've ran into some jerks.

    I dare you to find me anyone that hasn't had bad things happen in their life because of assholes, jerks, or bitches before. Simply because some of their jerkiness to you was because you're a female doesn't make you any more special or a precious snow flake than someone who had people act like a jerk towards them because they're white, or a male, or young, or a geek, or unpopular, or too trusting, or black, or foreign, or gay, or shy, or any other reason.

    Seriously, save for one or two admitted extermists in here, I don't think anyone is saying that sexism just doesn't exist or that there aren't still sexists in the world. But that's SIGNIFICANTLY differnet then suggesting there's some kind of sizable, legitimate, meaningful, "war on women" going on.

  6. #386
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Prague, Czech Rep.
    Last Seen
    10-10-12 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,880

    Re: Is there a "War on Women" in the United States?

    Seems to me far too many people wake up in the morning thinking, "Let's see, how can I be a victim today?" The "usual suspects" excel at this.

  7. #387
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Is there a "War on Women" in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    There are many industries which women don't participate in equally as men. My sister was a cage fighter and worked in many male dominated areas such as automotive and now law. There are barriers and sexist treatment on many levels for women like her, women working in the traditional boy's clubs.
    There must be a "war on men" then as well as the same is true in regards to industries or situations that are traditionally female. I've experienced it first hand. I'm an executive assistant which to the outside world, and even some internally, is viewed as nothing more than a glorified secretary. We have conferences where all the various admin officers (which I am for my office) get together each year where I get strange looks from the various females because I'm one of one or two other males in the room. Every friendly email that goes out generally gets addressed as if its a female audience. And it continues on. Why? Because I'm in a position that traditionally you see more women in and people are conditioned to act a certain way. The Difference seemingly between you and I is I'm not apt to go all victim mentality and scream about how unfair it is that people dare to be generally conditioned to expect what is most common place to happen and have a rather normal human reaction when viewing something uncommon and therefore strange.

    Women are not equally involved in government. Look at the way Palin and Hillary were treated in 2008.
    Absolutely. However this isn't the law, its society. And Palin and Hillary werne't just treated that way by males either but largely by females. Double standards ABSOLUTELY exist in society. Without question. Is that sexism? Hard to say.

    Is it sexist that a woman expects me to pay for dinner on our date?

    Is it sexist that a female could have a homosexual escapade in our society and turn it into a way to become more popular or even a celebrity, but for a man it's a subject of embrassment and ridicule (look at politics for this later part as well if you want to go the political route)?

    Is it sexist that society believes that a man should treat a woman differently than a man in regards to altercations, either verbal or physical?

    Is it sexist that various businesses provides benefits to females but not to males, or even are abjectly allowed to deny male patronage?

    If you want to go 2008 politics, was it sexist that there were numerous governos with arguably a far better track record than Palin's that was passed over seemingly because of the fact they were male and she was female? Was it sexist in either case when voteres were suggesting one of the prime reasons they were voting for either candidate (primary for hillary, regular for Palin) because it was a female?

    Unquestionably there are double standards in society. However, that's a far cry from a "war on women" in regards to the law, and the double standards exist throughout the realm of sex, race, class, personality, etc.

    Hell, look at yourself as you proclaim to tell us that men can't possibly understand what it is that a female goes through in regards to sexism while you sit here and act like you know what the **** we think, we feel, or we as some hive mind of our sex do. The same ridiculous logic on your part, that somehow becuase we don't share the one singular trait with you that we have absolutely NO way of understanding at all what occurs, applies back to yourself in regards to your take on men and their actions.

    Just because women have equal rights, it doesn't mean we are all on equal footing.
    No one is on equal footing.

  8. #388
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Is there a "War on Women" in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    I don't understand how anyone can deny that it even exists.
    Seemingly no one is, save for possibly one extremist htat no one agrees with. It is a strawman created by Shewolf to go on her rant about how horrible sexist males are because she absolutely knows it to be true, despite not being male, but don't you dare say she's wrong unless you're female becuase then you have no way to understand what she's saying.

  9. #389
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Is there a "War on Women" in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    I don't understand how anyone can deny that it even exists. The data are clear that women are at a disadvantage in so many sectors of the economy. The simple truth is that men hold the power in society for the most part, and this is due to a number of historical and social factors.
    Because some statistics are deceiving: people think that statistics can be a true measure of reality - but really - it just reflects the effects taht government forced regulations and measures have.

    Take the false-reality away and you see that we haven't gotten as far as people think - because people's opinions are usually the last thing to change.

    Also - people just look around and believe that women have it good, for whatever reason - the government finaly gave us the right to vote so everything's great. Or you have sexist dingdongs running around parading false ideas taht women secretly rule the world - or something - and we're evil. LOL
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  10. #390
    Gone

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-16-16 @ 03:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,585

    Re: Is there a "War on Women" in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    "War on Women" seems to be the popular buzz phrase lately. Do you believe there is a war against women in this country right now?
    Yes....and No.

    Even without Rush, Santorum, and the Evangelical wing...The right does seem rather set on dismissing women as a general rule, this does not however constitute warfare...more a wish to keep things the way they were.

    The left does seem a bit more compassionate, but likely this is simply to differentiate from the left, and not be counted amongst them in the minds of 50% of voters.

Page 39 of 53 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •