View Poll Results: Should we tolerate racist views that are based on religion?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. Free expression of religion must always be respected.

    8 18.60%
  • Yes, but only if its not harrassing, stalking, or legislation.

    6 13.95%
  • No. Keep your religiously-based hatred to yourself.

    19 44.19%
  • No. We should seek to end this completely.

    10 23.26%
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 158

Thread: Should we tolerate racist views that are based on religion?

  1. #131
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,548

    Re: Should we tolerate racist views that are based on religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    and yet, much bigotry against blacks has been motivated by the punishment of Cain and Ham.
    So you missed this part of my quote?

    "It was an excuse to condone slavery by the Western slave powers." - Blackdog

    It was a lie because the Bible says nothing about race. So religion had little to do with it. How plain do I have to put it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #132
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Should we tolerate racist views that are based on religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    ...It was a lie because the Bible says nothing about race. So religion had little to do with it. How plain do I have to put it?
    The Bible is not the end of Christianity, nor the end of Judaism.

  3. #133
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,548

    Re: Should we tolerate racist views that are based on religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    The Bible is not the end of Christianity, nor the end of Judaism.
    It is the holy book of Christianity and the sole source of the teachings of Jesus. Please point out where in the Bible (or the Torah for that matter) it says Ham's son was turned black? That is the basis of your rant about religion and part of your evidence. Now I know you can't because it says no such thing. Anyone can manipulate people through other things besides religion, nationalism and racism come to mind immediately. That is what happened in this case as the religions main book does not in any way teach this.

    So if your initial assumption is dead wrong, what affect does this have on your conclusion?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  4. #134
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Should we tolerate racist views that are based on religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    It is the holy book of Christianity and the sole source of the teachings of Jesus. Please point out where in the Bible (or the Torah for that matter) it says Ham's son was turned black?....
    I never said it was in the Bible.

  5. #135
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,548

    Re: Should we tolerate racist views that are based on religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I never said it was in the Bible.
    You did not have too, your OP says it all...


    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    By some traditions, the punishment/mark of Cain....was black skin.

    Curse and mark of Cain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    And again, some believe that the descendants of Ham, who was punished by God, became modern-day blacks.

    Curse of Ham - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    So, since racism against blacks can sometimes be considered to be motivated by religion, should we be expected to have more tolerance for such beliefs...as a way of respecting religion?

    some argue that since homophobia is sometimes motivated/excused by religion, homophobia should be tolerated as religious-expression. I want to know how far we should tolerate bigotry, as a form of religious expression.
    Your evidence uses Bible verses to back up your statements. You are wrong and your own words show this.

    We are done here.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 03-19-12 at 04:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #136
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Should we tolerate racist views that are based on religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    You did not have too, your OP says it all....
    if you are insinuating that I was saying that the Bible says that the curse of Ham & Cain was black skin, then you are hopelessly wrong.

  7. #137
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Should we tolerate racist views that are based on religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    I have a flash for you...LDS has black members..........
    yes, and always has, but the priesthood was denied them til 1978 or so....based not on Joseph Smith's writings, but Brigham Young, who was racist as were so many people of the era.
    A lot of the Ham stuff was taught by the Southern Baptists which condoned slavery, but they did not originate the Ham idea. I believe it originated with the writings of some priest in the early catholic church. The Southern Baptist Conference did not apologize for or recant the slavery issue until the mid 1990's...
    I am not aware of Talmudic writings on the subject. It was inferred from the OT, never stated outright....
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  8. #138
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Should we tolerate racist views that are based on religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    If you ever read the history of Mormons as I have you realize they were a crazy cult. They had some really whacked out ideas and did some horrific things in history, the Mt meadows massacre for instance. They have kind of folded into the main stream now but there is still some Mormons practicing polygamy that consider more mainstream Mormons to be heretics and no longer Mormon.
    how about the good baptists that ran them out of MO? robbing, raping, killing in the process....
    Mt. Meadows was a direct result of that abuse, not that it should be condoned or excused....
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  9. #139
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,548

    Re: Should we tolerate racist views that are based on religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    if you are insinuating that I was saying that the Bible says that the curse of Ham & Cain was black skin, then you are hopelessly wrong.
    No. I am saying your evidence is wrong which makes your bate thread assumption wrong. All of your evidence comes from the Bible. I have shown it is utterly wrong. Any questions?

    PS: If you are going to quote my post, at least be honest enough to not take it out of context and reply to what I am actually stating.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 03-19-12 at 05:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  10. #140
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Should we tolerate racist views that are based on religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    No. I am saying your evidence is wrong which makes your bate thread assumption wrong. All of your evidence comes from the Bible.....
    you are 100% wrong.

    my first two links, discuss religious writings NOT found in the Bible, among Biblical ones.

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •