View Poll Results: What are you, politically?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Social conservative

    7 13.73%
  • Social liberal

    24 47.06%
  • Fiscal conservative

    26 50.98%
  • Fiscal liberal

    8 15.69%
  • Other

    24 47.06%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 48

Thread: What are you, politically?

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: What are you, politically?

    Progressive.

    ..mostly.

  2. #22
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: What are you, politically?

    I can never figure out where to put myself, so why don't you guys decide for me.

    I identify as socialist as I believe in 100% income sharing -- voluntary, before you conservatives have an anuerism, yes I said VOLUNTARY. No force, stealing, etc...
    That said here I am on eveything else:

    Social Issues
    Pro-choice but not yet decisive on when life begins (i do have a theory), I also do not WANT people to have abortions, but it is not my choice to make
    Pro-gun
    Anti-capital punishment
    Pro assissted suicide
    Absolute protecter of the First Amendment
    Pro-gay rights
    Pro-civil rights
    (My friends argue that the below listed views do not jive with my above listed views. please note that I am against regulating the below listed issues)
    Anti-Drug laws
    Anti-Alcohol laws
    Anti-Tobacco and smoking laws
    Anti-Gambling laws
    Anti- Prostitution laws

    (Got some huge lobby attention in that list)

    Foreign Affairs

    Um.. this might be weird but how about feed our own first?
    There are some conflicts we have no business being involved in
    Ambassadorship promotes growth and cooperation
    Keep good relations so we can work together / learn and everyone can travel freely

    Fiscal Policy

    We know my ideal-- 100% income sharing, but if I have to live in the US:

    Stop spending money on aesthetics for government buildings!
    Stop borrowing money!
    Stop spending and taxing for public schools and home school children in a community (organize after school groups for socialiazing) THUS lowering taxing and spending
    Hate to say it guys -- but greed is not good. If you can afford 8 houses and joe from down the street lives in his car --well then you pay more taxes
    If you quit spendnig money on all the things mentioned in "social issues" that I am "ANTI" then you will save

    Is that enough? I realize I am putting myself out there and will probably puty myself at a disadvantage in some threads now.... but I am an honest person and believe in transparency.

    Edit: Forgot religion, let everyone believe what they want, I have no god, I have theories, but no god.
    Last edited by taxigirl; 03-15-12 at 12:11 AM.

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didnít have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, Iím allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and Iíve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I donít, before you know it, you wonít let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    ďReading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.Ē
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

  3. #23
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,766

    Re: What are you, politically?

    Quote Originally Posted by taxigirl View Post
    I can never figure out where to put myself, so why don't you guys decide for me.

    I identify as socialist as I believe in 100% income sharing -- voluntary, before you conservatives have an anuerism, yes I said VOLUNTARY. No force, stealing, etc...
    That said here I am on eveything else:

    Social Issues
    Pro-choice but not yet decisive on when life begins (i do have a theory), I also do not WANT people to have abortions, but it is not my choice to make
    Pro-gun
    Anti-capital punishment
    Pro assissted suicide
    Absolute protecter of the First Amendment
    Pro-gay rights
    Pro-civil rights
    (My friends argue that the below listed views do not jive with my above listed views. please note that I am against regulating the below listed issues)
    Anti-Drug laws
    Anti-Alcohol laws
    Anti-Tobacco and smoking laws
    Anti-Gambling laws
    Anti- Prostitution laws

    (Got some huge lobby attention in that list)

    Foreign Affairs

    Um.. this might be weird but how about feed our own first?
    There are some conflicts we have no business being involved in
    Ambassadorship promotes growth and cooperation
    Keep good relations so we can work together / learn and everyone can travel freely

    Fiscal Policy

    We know my ideal-- 100% income sharing, but if I have to live in the US:

    Stop spending money on aesthetics for government buildings!
    Stop borrowing money!
    Stop spending and taxing for public schools and home school children in a community (organize after school groups for socialiazing) THUS lowering taxing and spending
    Hate to say it guys -- but greed is not good. If you can afford 8 houses and joe from down the street lives in his car --well then you pay more taxes
    If you quit spendnig money on all the things mentioned in "social issues" that I am "ANTI" then you will save

    Is that enough? I realize I am putting myself out there and will probably puty myself at a disadvantage in some threads now.... but I am an honest person and believe in transparency.

    Edit: Forgot religion, let everyone believe what they want, I have no god, I have theories, but no god.
    fairly sensible?

  4. #24
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: What are you, politically?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Regarding the political spectrum: are you more of a liberal, or more of a conservative, on social/fiscal issues? In what ways? This'll be multiple choice for those who are liberal on fiscal issues yet conservative on social issues, etc.
    If I had to confine myself to a 1-D plot, socially liberal...ish and fiscally.....neither since they both do nothing but grow the federal government.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #25
    User Jack Webb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida
    Last Seen
    11-21-12 @ 03:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    76

    Re: What are you, politically?

    I'm a free market anarchist.

    Free-market anarchism refers to an individualist anarchist philosophy in which monopoly of force held by government would be replaced by a competitive market of non-monopolistic organizations providing security, justice, and other defense services. A market would exist where providers of security and law compete for voluntarily paying customers that wish to receive the services rather than individuals being taxed without their consent and assigned a monopoly provider of force. The belief, among free-market anarchists, is that this competition thus will tend to produce cheaper and higher-quality legal and police services including "a high-quality good of impartial, efficient umpiring of conflicting rights claims"

    "No government should have the right to prevent another government from going into competition with it, or to require consumers of security to come exclusively to it for this commodity."

    Free-market anarchism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Just the facts...


  6. #26
    Clown Prince of Politics
    Psychoclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hiding from the voices in my head.
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 09:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,738

    Re: What are you, politically?

    Like most libertarians, I could generally be described as socially liberal and fiscally conservative, but there are variances on both axis. Socially, I am pro life. I don't think there is a right to gay marriage, but if the people want to redefine marriage through their legislators that's fine. Personally, I'd probably prefer a civil union compromise, but either way its not a huge issue to me. Fiscally I'm OK with government investment in infrastructure, education, and advanced research which has lead to some dogmatic libertarians to call me a statist.

    I personally try to mix principle with pragmatism. Too much of either can lead to bad results in my book.
    Slipping into madness is good for the sake of comparison - Unknown.

  7. #27
    Finite and Precious
    Jredbaron96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    With you.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    7,882
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What are you, politically?

    Okay, I'll guess I'll go into detail.

    Pro-gun
    Pro choice
    Pro drugs
    Pro gay rights
    ****, mind blank...
    Basically social liberal
    Kinda anti-religion, but I'm trying to tone that down.

    Economic
    Increase government spending on infrastructure, education, and technology. Not much else...
    "Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough."
    -FDR

  8. #28
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: What are you, politically?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jredbaron96 View Post
    Okay, I'll guess I'll go into detail.

    Pro-gun
    Pro choice
    Pro drugs
    Pro gay rights
    ****, mind blank...
    Basically social liberal
    Kinda anti-religion, but I'm trying to tone that down.

    Economic
    Increase government spending on infrastructure, education, and technology. Not much else...
    I'm with you on a couple of those. I believe that there are somethings that government should be doing that it is not doing enough of, and some things that it is doing that it should not be doing.

    I'm pro-gun rights but also pro sensible forms of gun control - the two are not mutually exclusive.
    I'm pro-legalizing marijuana and some of the softer gateway drugs but not much else.
    I'm not anti-choice but I lean pro-life.
    I'm not anti-religion but I am virulently anti-ignorance and anti-critical thinking. As a rule I generally can't stand fundamentalist theists, nor militant atheists.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  9. #29
    Finite and Precious
    Jredbaron96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    With you.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    7,882
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What are you, politically?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    I'm with you on a couple of those. I believe that there are somethings that government should be doing that it is not doing enough of, and some things that it is doing that it should not be doing.

    I'm pro-gun rights but also pro sensible forms of gun control - the two are not mutually exclusive.
    I'm pro-legalizing marijuana and some of the softer gateway drugs but not much else.
    I'm not anti-choice but I lean pro-life.

    I'm not anti-religion but I am virulently anti-ignorance and anti-critical thinking. As a rule I generally can't stand fundamentalist theists, nor militant atheists.
    Most of my despise of of organized religion just stems from bad experience with certain people. I try to control it, but then I just think of certain things and I lose it.
    "Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough."
    -FDR

  10. #30
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: What are you, politically?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jredbaron96 View Post
    Most of my despise of of organized religion just stems from bad experience with certain people. I try to control it, but then I just think of certain things and I lose it.
    I try to make a distinction between organized religion and simple faith/belief.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •