Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 364

Thread: Abraham Lincoln - Right or Wrong?

  1. #41
    Heavy Hitter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    63,548

    Re: Abraham Lincoln - Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    He was definitely one of, if not the, most influential presidents ever. He was also one of the most tyrannical.

    He didn't give a damn about blacks or their plight. He himself said that if he could save the Union and not free a single slave, he would. All the talk about Bush suspending habeus corpus? Lincoln did it freely and blatantly. Dissenters would be shot on the White House lawn under the guise of treason.

    If you want to believe the American 6h grade social studies and worship him, that's your problem. In my mind, he will go down as probably the biggest despot in American politics.
    That quote of his seems to get misused a lot. Lincoln ran on an abolitionist platform and was staunchly opposed to the expansion of slavery into new states. To state that "he didn't give a damn about blacks or their plight" is an ignorant misinterpretation of what he said as the union began to unravel, IMO.

  2. #42
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,739

    Re: Abraham Lincoln - Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    That is not how it was for other parts of the world, so no, freedom doesn't have to come from blood.

    In any event, I wasn't saying that racism came from war, but war towards ending slavery history shows make it last longer at higher levels than it otherwise would have.
    and your verifiable evidence of that is .... ?????
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    07-16-13 @ 12:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,568

    Re: Abraham Lincoln - Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    That is not how it was for other parts of the world, so no, freedom doesn't have to come from blood.

    In any event, I wasn't saying that racism came from war, but war towards ending slavery history shows make it last longer at higher levels than it otherwise would have. The fact is, that when you make people do something by force they will usually resist and lock down on their position and war causes it worse than anything else.
    Perhaps. No way of really knowing. The culture of the south and of the U.S. is much different than that of Europe. The south IMHO needed some killing to straiten them out.

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Abraham Lincoln - Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    That quote of his seems to get misused a lot. Lincoln ran on an abolitionist platform and was staunchly opposed to the expansion of slavery into new states. To state that "he didn't give a damn about blacks or their plight" is an ignorant misinterpretation of what he said as the union began to unravel, IMO.
    He said he didn't care flat out on the floor of the house in 1849.

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    07-16-13 @ 12:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,568

    Re: Abraham Lincoln - Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    He said he didn't care flat out on the floor of the house in 1849.
    No need to misquote him. His views are easy to find. Why not just read them?

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Abraham Lincoln - Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by captainawesome View Post
    No need to misquote him. His views are easy to find. Why not just read them?
    I didn't quote him first off, and second, his racist views came out more than anywhere else on the floor of the house.

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Abraham Lincoln - Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by captainawesome View Post
    Perhaps. No way of really knowing. The culture of the south and of the U.S. is much different than that of Europe. The south IMHO needed some killing to straiten them out.
    I'm guessing all those women needed a good raping too and those children needed gunned down to get the point across hard enough. Nothing like making people hate you for 100+ years to solve a problem.

    Btw, Europe had it worse than we ever did.
    Last edited by Henrin; 03-09-13 at 02:52 PM.

  8. #48
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Nevada
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,838

    Re: Abraham Lincoln - Right or Wrong?

    It's always important to note that the United States actually played a very small part in the worldwide slavery industry. Out of twelve million slaves brought to the New World, the United States only received 600,000, about 5%.

    The American blacks and America hating Liberals try very hard to portray the United States as the Slavery Hub of the world, but that is simply untrue, slavery was primarily a Spanish, Portuguese and French enterprise.

    Lincoln actually thought it would be good to send the blacks back to Africa, but it's difficult to find comments on that proposal from the blacks, even now.

  9. #49
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,259

    Re: Abraham Lincoln - Right or Wrong?

    Hopefully, we haven't had our best president yet. I'd be pleased to be able to move Lincoln down the list a bit.

  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    07-16-13 @ 12:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,568

    Re: Abraham Lincoln - Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I didn't quote him first off, and second, his racist views came out more than anywhere else on the floor of the house.
    He consistently maintained a belief in ending slavery.

Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •