Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 364

Thread: Abraham Lincoln - Right or Wrong?

  1. #161
    Professor
    zstep18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Somewhere
    Last Seen
    02-24-14 @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,770

    Re: Abraham Lincoln - Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    Corwin Amendment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    This Amendment was so much a given, giving the South victory over the slavery issue, that the POTUS already signed it and gave it a numerical designation.

    The South already had plans of their own, their own Country with their own laws, with their own government whose authority they'd give their consent to.
    Again, I couldn't give a damn about a proposed amendment which protects the institution of slavery.

  2. #162
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Abraham Lincoln - Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    So like Indiana Jones in RAIDERS, you are just making all this up as you go along?

    You claim that ownership gives you certain rights. I point out that we live in the USA and show you the law which says you do NOT have the rights you claim you do.

    So where are you getting these ownership rights from?
    Like usual you refuse to think of a topic. If property rights calls for control of access and all other areas of property allow it in society, why is businesses different? You already know where I think ownership rights come from as I have told you before and if you actually read my last post I hinted at it strongly in case you have forgotten, but because you refuse to think the answer is nature.

  3. #163
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,037

    Re: Abraham Lincoln - Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Like usual you refuse to think of a topic. If property rights calls for control of access and all other areas of property allow it in society, why is businesses different? You already know where I think ownership rights come from as I have told you before and if you actually read my last post I hinted at it strongly in case you have forgotten, but because you refuse to think the answer is nature.
    You mean nature like the woods and streams and mountains?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  4. #164
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Abraham Lincoln - Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    You mean nature like the woods and streams and mountains?
    Yes, and if you noticed I even mentioned the condition of property in nature in my post. Why do you think I did that?

  5. #165
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,037

    Re: Abraham Lincoln - Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Yes, and if you noticed I even mentioned the condition of property in nature in my post. Why do you think I did that?
    Could you explain what the wilds of nature has to do with the property laws in the United States of America where we both live?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  6. #166
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Abraham Lincoln - Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Zawisza View Post
    Here's one dissenter. *raises hand*

    His importance is hard to deny, but I'm no fan of Lincoln.
    I agree with you. Not a fan at all.

  7. #167
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Abraham Lincoln - Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Webb View Post
    "Of the 43 men who have been president of the United States, there are some truly clear choices of who were the most important and influential presidents.

    1. Abraham Lincoln
    Abraham Lincoln saved the Union during the American Civil War. His leadership during the war was one of no compromise but at the same time understanding that he would eventually have to unite the states once the North won the war. His actions eventually led to the abolition of slavery across the United States."
    Nonsense. Slavery was alive and well in the border states during the Civil War.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  8. #168
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Abraham Lincoln - Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by a351 View Post
    "If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union." -Lincoln

    Slavery is probably the most atrocious part of our history, and Lincoln did help put it to the end, but it was not his sole motivation for the war he fought. I see him as neither a hero or a villain.
    It's always funny to me when people use that quote of Lincoln while ignoring the numerous quotes of his like the following:

    "I am naturally anti-slavery. If slavery is not wrong, nothing is wrong. I can not remember when I did not so think, and feel." - Lincoln

    It's also funny to me that, in knowing how politicians are not always authentic in their speech, people assume that Lincoln was authentic when he said that he wouldn't free slaves if he didn't have to. Hilarious. What would compel people to favor that quote over his others? What would compel people to assume that Lincoln, a politician, was being purely authentic rather than political in that statement?

  9. #169
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Abraham Lincoln - Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    It's always funny to me when people use that quote of Lincoln while ignoring the numerous quotes of his like the following:

    "I am naturally anti-slavery. If slavery is not wrong, nothing is wrong. I can not remember when I did not so think, and feel." - Lincoln

    It's also funny to me that, in knowing how politicians are not always authentic in their speech, people assume that Lincoln was authentic when he said that he wouldn't free slaves if he didn't have to. Hilarious. What would compel people to favor that quote over his others? What would compel people to assume that Lincoln, a politician, was being purely authentic rather than political in that statement?
    Because he actually did that. He did nothing about slavery in the border states.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  10. #170
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,144

    Re: Abraham Lincoln - Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by zstep18 View Post
    Again, I couldn't give a damn about a proposed amendment which protects the institution of slavery.
    Again you change context to suit your needs...

Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •