View Poll Results: Are Homosexuals oppressed in America?

Voters
179. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, homosexuals are oppressed in America.

    53 29.61%
  • No, homosexuals are not oppressed in America

    125 69.83%
  • I don't know

    1 0.56%
Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 376

Thread: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

  1. #81
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    By your logic Christians are oppressed because they aren't allowed to express their religion in public schools, etc, because you seem to think every degree matters.

    If there is even one instance of Christians not having a freedom that others have, then by your logic they are oppressed. Are Christians given grants for being Christian, unlike homosexuals who receive such grants?
    Christians are absolutely allowed to express their religion in public schools. Try again.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #82
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by katiegrrl0 View Post
    You are considering all of the aspects of oppression to the last degree. I'm sorry that I have known gays who were beaten by police and left or jailed afterward. An anecdote is my own knowledge but there are recorded incidents of this as well. In ways there are many similarities among all the groups that were discriminated against. I could easily say that the blacks really had it easy while 6million Jews were being alienated. But the blacks suffered there own oppression just as the gays do. They are all different and to negate the similarities because a class didn't experience the worst of it is foolishness at best. You didn't suffer as badly as we did so it doesn't could. That is an attitude used by children on a play yard.

    Yes, we agree on degrees ... Jews had it worse than blacks who had it worse than LGBT today. My only comment and point is that a comparison between civil rights level oppression and current LGBT is ridiculous. I stand by that statement.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  3. #83
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Also, it must be said that merely believing homosexuality is a sin, according to Traditional Christianity, is not oppression.

  4. #84
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Yes, we agree on degrees ... Jews had it worse than blacks who had it worse than LGBT today. My only comment and point is that a comparison between civil rights level oppression and current LGBT is ridiculous. I stand by that statement.
    (I posted this about a page back. I'm repeating it now)

    There are many parallels to the civil rights movement in the 60's. With respect to the marriage equality issue, the legal arguments made re: anti-miscegenation laws in the 50's-60's (see for example Loving v. Virginia) are functionally identical to the legal arguments made re: gay marriage now. Similarly, as I said about a page back, there is currently no federal law prohibiting an employer from firing a gay person for being gay. This is not dissimilar to the position black people were in re: employment discrimination prior to the civil rights movement.

  5. #85
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    The thing though, is that many in the homosexual rights camp want to toss around "oppression" and "bigotry" labels to mirror some Civil Rights movement and to try and milk out some emotional response. Homosexuals are not oppressed, and It's shameful to claim so or to make homosexuals out to be some poor persecuted minority at the hands of those who have differing marital morals.
    He failed to make that point, and the fault is entirely his. He chose the definitions of oppression to be used for this thread.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #86
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Krhazy View Post
    Gays are redefining "oppression" as well.... LOL

    This is such a stupid argument. I can't walk down the street holding hands with my bf of 3 years without getting nasty looks from people. In many states, I couldn't marry him, adopt a kid with him, or see him in the hospital were he to get sick. To his colleagues at work, I don't exist because he is afraid that if people know he is gay, he might get fired. I don't care whether it qualifies as "oppression" or not. It's needlessly cruel and morally wrong.
    Wow, gays control the dictionary now too.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #87
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,984

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    We in this thread have made it clear that such comparisons are ridiculous, but certain parallels and similarities do exist.



    I'm sorry digs. The rights of the minority are being deprived at the hands of a majority. And I view the ability to legally consummate a relationship with the person that you love (and who loves you) is a fundamental civil right. Just because gays are not being jailed or sent to labor camps or being "sexually cleansed," or vicitims of genocide, does not mean that oppression isn't occurring. Now I wouldn't necessarily say that gays are being "persecuted," but the point that some level of oppression still exists remains.
    I disagree. I think that marriage, as a social contract and in regards to sexuality, is allowed to be voted on by people who have their equal belief that homosexuality does not fit the definition of marriage. A state, and it's people, should be allowed to define marriage as a union between a man and a woman as husband and wife. I support SSM, but I don't support taking away the rights of others within society who have voted according to their moral beliefs just like others have. I just disagree with the premise that many want to push off that homosexuals are some bitterly oppressed minority group at the hands of those mean old social conservatives/Christians.

    Socially homosexuals may be oppressed. People may be disgusted or not approve of homosexual affection or whatnot, but any group of people can receive this kind of treatment. I've been cursed out, judged, threatened with violence, and lost friends over my Christian beliefs and social stances. People in this world are intolerant of many views and lifestyles, and it may be "oppression" to a certain level, but I don't think it's fair to call homosexuals oppressed as a distinct minority group.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  8. #88
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Also, it must be said that merely believing homosexuality is a sin, according to Traditional Christianity, is not oppression.
    But telling gays about their sinful nature can and would lead to fulfilling your second defintion. Again, you supplied the definitions.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #89
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    He failed to make that point, and the fault is entirely his. He chose the definitions of oppression to be used for this thread.
    Other definitions apply, not just the one in the OP. [Also, definition battles are tiresome.] I figured the general Google definition would suffice. Other definitions/augmentations, like digsbe's, are able to be used as well.

  10. #90
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    (I posted this about a page back. I'm repeating it now)

    There are many parallels to the civil rights movement in the 60's. With respect to the marriage equality issue, the legal arguments made re: anti-miscegenation laws in the 50's-60's (see for example Loving v. Virginia) are functionally identical to the legal arguments made re: gay marriage now. Similarly, as I said about a page back, there is currently no federal law prohibiting an employer from firing a gay person for being gay. This is not dissimilar to the position black people were in re: employment discrimination prior to the civil rights movement.
    It is dissimilar in the levels, quantity and prevalence of violence, ie., the degrees I've been talking about.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •