View Poll Results: Are Homosexuals oppressed in America?

Voters
179. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, homosexuals are oppressed in America.

    53 29.61%
  • No, homosexuals are not oppressed in America

    125 69.83%
  • I don't know

    1 0.56%
Page 6 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 376

Thread: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

  1. #51
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Currently, do you think homosexuals are oppressed in America?


    Google
    Oppressed is arguably pushing it. They are certainly discriminated against, and are one of the last few classes of people that the Constitution allows to be discriminated against. For instance, there is no federal/constitutional provision that prevents employers from dismissing an employee because of his sexual orientation. About half the states currently have such laws. The rest do not.

  2. #52
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by katiegrrl0 View Post
    Why did you make this thread? You failed to hear any of the valid points most of the posters have made. You have stuck to your very simplistic view in framing the OP. If these people aren't being tortured and gassed in chambers they are not oppressed in your view. You have not even given ear to the many ways oppression takes place. You see this stark black and white picture. Oppression does come in degrees and if I am not as free as you no matter how small the issue I am oppressed. Most of the issues brought forth are not small issues.
    Most alter a persons life.
    I'm glad you asked before I did.

  3. #53
    Politically Correct

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:35 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,843
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    At the end of the day, what does it even matter? The Constitution protects us from far more than just extermination and enslavement, thank god.
    (avatar by Thomas Nast)

  4. #54
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    But then definition #2 could be applied to pretty much anyone in America, including Christians, given any plausible reason.
    Depending on the environment, given this definition, then yes, some Christians are oppressed in certain settings (fundamentalist evangelical Christians on college campuses comes to my mind).

    You asked if homosexuals are "oppressed in America." Are Christians being oppressed, writ large, in America? Not so much. For gays, it's a different story.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  5. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by katiegrrl0 View Post
    Why did you make this thread? You failed to hear any of the valid points most of the posters have made. You have stuck to your very simplistic view in framing the OP. If these people aren't being tortured and gassed in chambers they are not oppressed in your view. You have not even given ear to the many ways oppression takes place. You see this stark black and white picture. Oppression does come in degrees and if I am not as free as you no matter how small the issue I am oppressed. Most of the issues brought forth are not small issues.
    Most alter a persons life.
    By your logic Christians are oppressed because they aren't allowed to express their religion in public schools, etc, because you seem to think every degree matters.

    If there is even one instance of Christians not having a freedom that others have, then by your logic they are oppressed. Are Christians given grants for being Christian, unlike homosexuals who receive such grants?

  6. #56
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by katiegrrl0 View Post
    Being able to tell if someone is black on sight is far easier than picking out someone who is gay.
    Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

    Quote Originally Posted by katiegrrl0 View Post
    In many cases prior to the mid 80's gays lost jobs because they were gay. They still do at times if an employer finds out. Blacks were able to serve openly in the military when? Gays are able to serve openly just now. Talk about a different water fountain.
    It's not even close in comparison.

    Quote Originally Posted by katiegrrl0 View Post
    I don't say that progress has not been made but when you compare there are many things the same.
    I know older gays that used to wear wedding rings to keep from being found out or they would be persecuted in neighborhoods and on the job.
    Many things? I'd beg to differ... time has a way of pasting over how bad the civil rights era members had it. Gays can call the police and not get worried about being beaten or shot or dragged behind the car tied to the bumper. And I'm not talking some backwater Louisiana swamp either, this was in major cities and towns across the U.S.

    It's an INSULT to blacks and like I said, I who have no skin in the game as a straight white male, am embarrassed by such a comparison. Yes you're biased and have LGBT skin in the game as a lesbian... you might want to not be so quick to make the comparison.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  7. #57
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,140

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    But then definition #2 could be applied to pretty much anyone in America, including Christians, given any plausible reason.
    I was wondering when this would turn into "White, Straight, Christian Men are being oppressed!"

    I'm calling it "Rocket's Law." It's the same principle as Godwin's law.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  8. #58
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Depending on the environment, given this definition, then yes, some Christians are oppressed in certain settings (fundamentalist evangelical Christians on college campuses comes to my mind).

    You asked if homosexuals are "oppressed in America." Are Christians being oppressed, writ large, in America? Not so much. For gays, it's a different story.

    You agree that LBGT are oppressed at the same level as say 1966-1968 blacks in Atlanta? Or Tennessee?
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  9. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Where pissing off the has beens here is fun...
    Last Seen
    04-07-13 @ 09:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,156

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    By your logic Christians are oppressed because they aren't allowed to express their religion in public schools, etc, because you seem to think every degree matters.

    If there is even one instance of Christians not having a freedom that others have, then by your logic they are oppressed. Are Christians given grants for being Christian, unlike homosexuals who receive such grants?
    Great! You're oppressed! We feel for you...

    What grants do homosexuals get?

  10. #60
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,140

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    You agree that LBGT are oppressed at the same level as say 1966-1968 blacks in Atlanta? Or Tennessee?
    I wouldn't argue that, but then blacks in 1960's Tennessee weren't oppressed on the same level as blacks in 1860's Tennessee.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

Page 6 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •