View Poll Results: Are Homosexuals oppressed in America?

Voters
179. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, homosexuals are oppressed in America.

    53 29.61%
  • No, homosexuals are not oppressed in America

    125 69.83%
  • I don't know

    1 0.56%
Page 31 of 38 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 376

Thread: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

  1. #301
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,865

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    There is this new thing called "google". Have you heard of it?
    There's an old thing called "civility." You've demonstrated that you're unfamiliar with the concept.

  2. #302
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWOlin View Post
    Let me just say this, I am not using semantics, the rest of you that believe there is some kind of hardcore gay oppression are.
    Believe? Well the evidence is all around you.

    2008 - the LDS church funneled money into the state of California to pay for misleading and bigoted ads supporting prop 8. The point was to strip same-sex couples of rights and standing by misusing the California ballot measure system. They systematically oppressed a minority group. How much more hardcore can you get?

    Try to understand this one basic concept -- when a state tells gays they can not get married or can not adopt, they are labeling them 'less than equal'. The state is empowering citizens to view homosexual as less-than-equal. Businesses, employers, landlords, bankers/lenders--people we deal with that have the power to withhold something or pass us over, they are told by the state that this one group, homosexuals, are not equal. This is oppression.

    Our modern understanding is that homosexuality is a hard-wired personality trait and that homosexual couples are uniquely qualified to be unconditionally loving parents to adopted children. -- this is more than just my experience and observation, this is what ALL leading researchers in sociology, psychology, pediatrics and other related medical research fields say.

    Children of gay couples tend to grow up with a higher emotional maturity and sense of self (thick skinned). So, in that one respect (teaching emotional maturity) homosexuals are better qualified than heterosexual couples to raise children.
    In all other parenting aspects, they are equal to heterosexual parents.

    Well, they probably have a better sense of style as well. My kids always get the best clothes from my brother-in-law who is gay... and Catholic. Imagine that?

  3. #303
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,116

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Marriage can be redefined, though personaly I don't think it should; it should be up to the people to decide, state by state, what they want to do, imho.
    Why are you still playing that intellectually dishonest game of pretending that same sex marriage "redefines" the institution of marriage?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  4. #304
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Why are you still playing that intellectually dishonest game of pretending that same sex marriage "redefines" the institution of marriage?
    Because marriage has typically been between one man and one woman.

    Will I stop gay marriage? No, but neither do I support it.

    Leave it up to the individual states to decide.

  5. #305
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Apparently, some folks feel that they are oppressed, because they can't oppress homosexuals enough.

    funny how that works huh?

  6. #306
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,116

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    There's an old thing called "civility." You've demonstrated that you're unfamiliar with the concept.
    Wake was the individual who broke from civility in this thread when he suggested that same sex marriage "redefines" the institution of marriage. As long as he chooses to use rhetoric that was crafted maliciously and specifically with the purpose of inspiring fear and to propagandize same sex marriage as a threat to the marriages of heterosexuals, I cannot accept that there is any willingness to be "civil" in this thread from him or any of his supporters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  7. #307
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Wake was the individual who broke from civility in this thread when he suggested that same sex marriage "redefines" the institution of marriage. As long as he chooses to use rhetoric that was crafted maliciously and specifically with the purpose of inspiring fear and to propagandize same sex marriage as a threat to the marriages of heterosexuals, I cannot accept that there is any willingness to be "civil" in this thread from him or any of his supporters.
    Tbh, I don't see how it's uncivil to voice an opposing viewpoint.

    Am I allowed to have a differing pov?

    I suppose in order to be civil I must accept your view.

    One can be civil, and have a different view on SSM.

  8. #308
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Wake was the individual who broke from civility in this thread when he suggested that same sex marriage "redefines" the institution of marriage....
    along with his constant & never-ending accusations of homosexuality being a sin.

  9. #309
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,116

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Because marriage has typically been between one man and one woman.

    Will I stop gay marriage? No, but neither do I support it.

    Leave it up to the individual states to decide.
    It is intellectually dishonest to say that same sex marriage "redefines" marriage. Same sex marriage does nothing to change marriage or affect heterosexual unions so it does not redefine marriage, it only adds to the definition. When you thoughtlessly use such blatantly dishonest rhetoric, you shut down people's willingness to discuss this issue with you in a civil manner.

    As long as you choose to use rhetoric that was crafted maliciously and specifically with the purpose of inspiring fear and to propagandize same sex marriage as a threat to the marriages of heterosexuals, I cannot accept that there is any willingness on your part to be civil here or in any other related thread. You can take that message right back to the pollsters for the National Organization of Marriage you parrot who spent tons of money carefully choosing the word "redefine" specifically because of the emotional reaction it would inspire in the masses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  10. #310
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    It is intellectually dishonest to say that same sex marriage "redefines" marriage. Same sex marriage does nothing to change marriage or affect heterosexual unions so it does not redefine marriage, it only adds to the definition. When you thoughtlessly use such blatantly dishonest rhetoric, you shut down people's willingness to discuss this issue with you in a civil manner....
    I'm sure lots of racists argued that allowing inter-racial marriage "re-defines" marriage too.

    many probably still do.

Page 31 of 38 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •