View Poll Results: Are Homosexuals oppressed in America?

Voters
179. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, homosexuals are oppressed in America.

    53 29.61%
  • No, homosexuals are not oppressed in America

    125 69.83%
  • I don't know

    1 0.56%
Page 30 of 38 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 376

Thread: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

  1. #291
    User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    A Pale Blue Dot
    Last Seen
    07-08-12 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    107

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    What I said is based on my first-hand experience witnessing what true oppression is.
    Any holocaust survivor could probably say to you that you do not know what "true" oppression is either. Ditto for the cities decimated by Alexander the "Great."

    It's not a contest. This thread puts advocates for civil rights for GLBTs (or i'd rather say TGLBs), in the awkward and unfair position of whining about how oppressed they are in America.

    I love my country. America is an oasis in time and space of freedom and civil rights. Compared to about any place and any time this is a great place to live. This does not mean that we are perfect and should not treat certain segments of our society differently.

    We have our homophobes. We also have great people who happen to think what I am is unnatural. (I'm mtf transsexual who likes women. Does that make me gay?) Others just don't get it.

    I'll just go about living my life and showing my humanity which is the best way to persuade. Frankly, I do not care so long as they do not try to do violence upon me or deny me a job.

    I'd much rather debate public policy, e.g. should my SRS and HRT be covered by insurance.

  2. #292
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    "True oppression" isn't simply whatever you say it is
    Yeah, whenever people start qualifying things with "true" and "real" (see: real Americans), it's over.

  3. #293
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Gays don't have the full rights that they believe they deserve, and face discrimination due to who they are...not what they do.

    that is a form of oppression.

  4. #294
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Also, it must be said that merely believing homosexuality is a sin, according to Traditional Christianity, is not oppression.
    Traditional Christianity also used to support slavery... Because the church is a living, growing body, it became aware of its own hypocrisy.

    When put in historical context, nothing in be bible supports your view. Your bigotry toward homosexuality is quickly becoming a thing of the past. Santorum and all his idiocy will go down in flames (literally) and he will be remembered as the segregationist of our time.

  5. #295
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,957
    Blog Entries
    71

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWOlin View Post
    In America certainly not. They may be denied certain freedoms to a degree, but no I do not believe so. In other parts of the world however, specifically parts of Africa they are indeed oppressed.

    When a gay couple at work can talk about gay sex and laugh about it, where people can hear (I'm like 5 tables down) in a Kentucky work place and no one gets up and yells at them or beats them or anything, then yeah I would say they got it about as good as anyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    That's exactly correct. Gays in Iran are executed. Gays in america...can't file taxes together. Aww, must suck having all those first-world problems.
    Once again, TED gives a great response to this argument:


    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    Pretty much anybody can point to somebody else in the world who has it worse than them. Pretty much everybody can point to North Korea. North Korea can point to Somalia. Somalia can point to ... Antarctica?

    My point is that telling someone they're not oppressed because someone else has it worse is a bullsh!t argument, because it's perfectly reasonable to complain about your plight or that of someone else when comparing it to the plight of others in the same or a similar society. Done in that way, you're not saying, "I have it worse than anybody else on the face of the Earth" (which is literally true of only one person), you're saying, "Hey, by the standards this society claims to live by, or by the standards of my own awesome society, or by the standards of this awesome society over there, this situation totally blows and needs to change."

    Taking the "someone has it worse than you, so STFU" approach is nothing more than an argument in favor of injustice.
    Edit: I just came across something that Huey Newton wrote.

    During the past few years strong movements have developed among women and among homosexuals seeking their liberation. There has been some uncertainty about how to relate to these movements.

    Whatever your personal opinions and your insecurities about homosexuality and the various liberation movements among homosexuals and women (and I speak of the homosexuals and women as oppressed groups), we should try to unite with them in a revolutionary fashion. I say “whatever your insecurities are” because as we very well know, sometimes our first instinct is to want to hit a homosexual in the mouth, and want a woman to be quiet. We want to hit a homosexual in the mouth because we are afraid that we might be homosexual; and we want to hit the women or shut her up because we are afraid that she might castrate us, or take the nuts that we might not have to start with.

    We must gain security in ourselves and therefore have respect and feelings for all oppressed people.We must not use the racist attitude that the White racists use against our people because they are Black and poor. Many times the poorest White person is the most racist because he is afraid that he might lose something, or discover something that he does not have. So you’re some kind of a threat to him. This kind of psychology is in operation when we view oppressed people and we are angry with them because of their particular kind of behavior, or their particular kind of deviation from the established norm.


    More can be read here (http://tmblr.co/ZRRR3yHwc66g)
    Last edited by Mr. Invisible; 03-13-12 at 12:32 PM.
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  6. #296
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWOlin View Post
    When it comes to government matters, I don't think the government should get involved in any kind of marriage. However, oppression I believe is a strong term to use in this instance. Now if you wanted to say these two gay persons are not able to have a life together, I would feel that is oppressive. The government giveth, and taketh away.
    By the definition provided, the word is not strong at all. However, I suspect how strong depends on where you sit. Not being allowed to marry your life partner, having to struggle to adopt, even not allowed in some palces, facing the possibility that someone will hurt you if they know your sexuality, or deny you service or employment, facing this day in and day out might make the word oppressed seem not near strong enough. As they used to say in the old days, walk a mile in their shoes before you declare how easy it is.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #297
    User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-17-16 @ 09:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    57

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    To oppress is to treat unfairly through law and authority, which includes cultural abuse through the institutionalization of intolerance.

    Suppression of homosexuals through law is clear, for the purpose of the courts is to ensure non-harm to others, and though same-sex marriage may offend the sensibilities of some, gay-marriage does not harm society. Non-proven accusations of harm to children who are raised by same-sex couples is as equally ideologically-based and non-fact-based as the assertion that the preservation of classical marriage and its values are a necessity for societal stability.

    These are attacks on a community of people; they are baseless arguments meant to help rationalize suppression of homosexuality and those who represent it. The terms “in the closet” and “out of the closet” are indicative of oppression in how they connote hiding. As shown by the presence of above phrases in society, homosexuals are culturally influenced to hide their true selves, which is perpetuated through the fear of and the desire to avoid persecution.

    Heterosexuals, like homosexuals, do not choose to whom or to what gender they are physically attracted. This is innate and above explanation. Choices are not made to prefer body types, nose configurations, hair colours, sexual fetishes, etc. Despite this, Homosexuals Anonymous exists. It is a group that uses “conversion therapy to change the sexual orientation of homosexual clients”.(1) Though voluntary, the institution depends on cultural and societal and familial pressure to enroll clientele by convincing gay people to change an unchangeable attribute that the institution and its supporters deem immoral and wrong.

    The only possible weighty support against homosexuality is a biblical one. The bible and other religious books and teachings outline faiths that can be freely practiced by law in accordance with the USA legal system, but religious institutions of any denomination do not have the right to force their beliefs on others through legislation.

    Law and society should wholly be governed by humanitarian principles: that is, "having concern for or helping to improve the welfare and happiness of people."(2) Laws should be based on universal values of good and bad; that is, based in fact and not faith. An improvable harm is harm based on faith. The legal system is dependent on evidence to accuse and imprison; therefore, societal harm must be provable.

    Homosexuality is not harmful to humanity. As a matter of fact, more harmful to society are oppressive laws and an oppressive subculture toward those with a same-sex orientation, which not uncommonly results in psychological harm and suicide. Individuals who are legally unequal to the majority and are encouraged to hide based on their sexual orientation are people who are persecuted.


    1. Homosexuals Anonymous - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    2. Humanitarian | Define Humanitarian at Dictionary.com


    "Definition of OPPRESS
    transitive verb
    1
    a archaic : suppress b : to crush or burden by abuse of power or authority
    2
    : to burden spiritually or mentally : weigh heavily upon"

    REF: Oppress - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary


    "op·press
       [uh-pres] Show IPA
    verb (used with object)
    1.
    to burden with cruel or unjust impositions or restraints; subject to a burdensome or harsh exercise of authority or power: a people oppressed by totalitarianism. "

    REF: Oppress | Define Oppress at Dictionary.com
    Last edited by shelphs; 03-13-12 at 04:08 PM.

  8. #298
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    You put effort into that, shelphs, and I respect that.

    While I'm not convinced that the gay marriage issue can be equated to the more known forms of oppression, perhaps there's a grain of truth to the notion that homosexuals are "oppressed." I'm still at odds with that notion, seeing as homosexuals have pretty much everything except marriage. Marriage can be redefined, though personaly I don't think it should; it should be up to the people to decide, state by state, what they want to do, imho.

    It's something that merits more thought. I could just join the bandwagon that loosely uses the word "oppression," or I could consider the 15 that voted against it, and garner their arguments. It may be oppression, it may not. How loose do we use "oppression?" Does that apply to everyone save the white, straight, male Christian?

  9. #299
    User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-17-16 @ 09:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    57

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    You put effort into that, shelphs, and I respect that.

    While I'm not convinced that the gay marriage issue can be equated to the more known forms of oppression, perhaps there's a grain of truth to the notion that homosexuals are "oppressed." I'm still at odds with that notion, seeing as homosexuals have pretty much everything except marriage. Marriage can be redefined, though personaly I don't think it should; it should be up to the people to decide, state by state, what they want to do, imho.

    It's something that merits more thought. I could just join the bandwagon that loosely uses the word "oppression," or I could consider the 15 that voted against it, and garner their arguments. It may be oppression, it may not. How loose do we use "oppression?" Does that apply to everyone save the white, straight, male Christian?

    It's not a matter of using the term loosely. You are trying to qualitatively measure the definition in accurateness to the homosexual issue. Oppression is not confined to legislative unjustness, though, one could argue it is its most strongest form; rather, it is any individualistic or institutionalized example of persecution, i.e., that being any "cruel or unjust impositions or restraints" of any degree.

    The illegality of gay marriage is a big concern, but equally bad is a culture of persecution. This is shown by the mere existence of the "in the closet" and "out of the closet" idioms. If you cannot openly behaviour as others do for fear of beatings, fewer social advantages, etc, and those actions do not harm others, you are oppressed.

    On that same notion, Muslims are oppressed in America. For instance, the outcry for a synagogue near the 9/11 attack. Religious freedoms are for all religions. The idea of a synagogue near the attack with the purpose of better representing the Muslim majority and Muslim values to dispel Muslim extremist values, could be a very good thing, and what place better to do that than in the same area where extremists of one's faith hurt people.

    Certainly, the claim could be made that such a move could be in bad taste, though I think otherwise as per the above argument, but the debate on that issue didn't revolve around what should or should not be done, it was centered on if Muslims have the right or don't have the right. If the land is legally purchased and proper building permits are gotten, a synagogue can be built.
    Last edited by shelphs; 03-13-12 at 04:53 PM.

  10. #300
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    When I stated any non unionized person can be fired for any reason you stated "Not True". It's is true.
    It's not true. See, for instance, Title VII of the civil rights act, which prohibits employment discrimination for several protected classes (race, gender, etc) but not for sexual orientation.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    That's not accurate. Federal Employees are protected from sexual orientation discrimination.
    I'm not talking about federal employees (although it bears mentioning that the EEOC doesn't cover sexual orientation discrim), I'm talking about federal law generally. There is currently no federal law protecting employees in private industry from sexual orientation discrimination.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    States have enacted state laws prohibiting sexual orientation discrimination for both public and private sector jobs in: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington, and Wisconsin. (Source).
    I raised this very point to another poster in this thread a few pages back. I'm aware that about half the states have enacted anti-sexual orientation discrimination statutes, but again, half the states have not, and there are no federal protections. This puts homosexuals in a substantially crappier legal position than any other class of people, nationally speaking. In fact some states (notably Colorado, four or five years ago) attempted to create a constitutional amendment protecting the rights of citizens to discriminate against people on the basis of sexual orientation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Not under Federal Law but under state laws there are. You make it sound as if it's open season on gays and that's not the case.
    In some states, yes. Again, I did say that already.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Even at the federal level, many of the sexual orientation cases are masked under harassment, wrongful termination or other such headings since a specific federal law does not exist for sexual orientation. To claim that they do not exist is misleading.
    I'm not sure what "they" refers to in this context. If you're suggesting that I've claimed that there aren't federal harassment laws, I have not. Let's break this down a little:

    1- The Constitution

    Relevant caselaw (notably Romer v Evans) has established that discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation gets the rational basis test (as opposed to strict or intermediate scrutiny). This is, obviously, the lowest possible standard of review used by SCOTUS in 14th amendment cases, and it's only used when SCOTUS has determined that there is no suspect class at issue. So under the constitution, sexual orientation is not considered a protected class.

    2 - Federal Statutory Protection - Title VII

    As I said above, this law prohibits discriminatory employment practices, but only as applied to one of several protected classes. Sexual orientation is not one of them. SCOTUS reached this conclusion in Desantis v Pacific Telephone.

    3 - Harassment Claims

    You're correct that people have attempted to use sexual harassment laws to cover sexual orientation discrimination, but 1) that wouldn't work in a wrongful termination context, because harassment requires a pattern of abusive behavior, and terminating an employee wouldn't count, and 2) even where harassment as such has been proven, the courts haven't been very receptive to applying it to sexual orientation cases. The highest level ruling on this issue that I'm aware of came out of the 7th Circuit (certiorari was denied). That case was Spearman v Ford Motor Company, and it held, in essence, that the employee at issue (a male homosexual) was barred from bringing a harassment claim based on sexual orientation. So it's inaccurate to suggest that people have successfully applied harassment claims on the basis of sexual orientation under the relevant federal law.

Page 30 of 38 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •