View Poll Results: Are Homosexuals oppressed in America?

Voters
179. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, homosexuals are oppressed in America.

    53 29.61%
  • No, homosexuals are not oppressed in America

    125 69.83%
  • I don't know

    1 0.56%
Page 21 of 38 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 376

Thread: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

  1. #201
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:03 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,902

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    There's a difference between a heterosexual couple being denied by the adoption service and state bans on gay adoption. The former happens on an individual basis. The latter is institutional discrimination whereby one class of people is made subservient to another - the definition of oppression in the OP.
    I lived in California where gays could easily adopt. If there is a problem in much of the rest of the USA then it should be addressed and changed.

    I'm not sure what you mean by "workplace discrimination happens to everybody" since I'm pretty sure that's not true on its face.
    My point is what is discrimination in the work place? It is not that they are oppressed since women, blacks, latinos, whites, gays, etc. all face discrimination and it equally sucks. My white mom faced discrimination as did many other whites at her school and was threatened and chased out of her job when a Mexican principal took over. There is a court case going on now over it so I am not sure how you can say that it isn't true. Stuff like this happens all the time.

    19% of LGBT have claimed to have been "homeless" due to housing discrimination? Homeless? 1 out of every 5? I find that extremely hard to believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #202
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:03 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,902

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by katiegrrl0 View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/08/wo...4.8252596.html


    Gay and Transgender Discrimination Outside the Workplace
    There are still cases of job and housing discrimination against gays. They are far more limited than they once were. Jobs have been more normalized due to legislation.
    Yeah, I know that it happens... it just also happens to lots of other "groups" as well and I don't see anything in there that contradicts what I was saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  3. #203
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,335
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post


    My point is what is discrimination in the work place? It is not that they are oppressed since women, blacks, latinos, whites, gays, etc. all face discrimination and it equally sucks. My white mom faced discrimination as did many other whites at her school and was threatened and chased out of her job when a Mexican principal took over. There is a court case going on now over it so I am not sure how you can say that it isn't true. Stuff like this happens all the time.



    19% of LGBT have claimed to have been "homeless" due to housing discrimination? Homeless? 1 out of every 5? I find that extremely hard to believe.
    Discrimination in the workplace is something like not getting hired or promoted because your LGBT.

    And its actually 19% of transgendered/gender non-conforming Americans not LGBT Americans.

  4. #204
    OWL Forever
    katiegrrl0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    at the computer
    Last Seen
    07-07-17 @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    4,121

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Yeah, I know that it happens... it just also happens to lots of other "groups" as well and I don't see anything in there that contradicts what I was saying.
    I never state that other groups are discriminated as the gays. It's sad that we are so closed to difference that we do discriminate. There is rarely a good rational for it. It's all learned behavior as well. Such a shame.
    The flame that is between us could set every soul on fire. I would love to take that heat and let's fill the whole world with desire.
    Sophie B. Hawkins

  5. #205
    Educator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 04:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    801

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Currently, do you think homosexuals are oppressed in America?


    Google
    Depends. According to James Cone, black liberation theologian, blacks will always be oppressed by the mere fact that they are black. I think some homosexuals will always feel oppressed by the mere fact that they are homosexual and they have convinced themselves that they are being oppressed because of it. I think the end to oppression would be limited government and personal freedom/responsibility. But then I am told that freedom and personal responsibility are oppressive to the poor. Frankly, I'm not sure we even know what that word means anymore. At any rate, I refuse to be oppressed, therefore I am not. But if I wanted to, I could be.
    Get informed: UNICEF foreign adoption policy is killing orphans and the US gives $132 million to UNICEF every year. Stop the madness.
    For the best news and commentary on the 2012 election from the GOP perspective, visit www.whitehouse12.com.

  6. #206
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Currently, do you think homosexuals are oppressed in America?


    Google
    If any homosexual, or anyone who supports "gay-rights" can come to this thread in support of homosexuals and NOT be executed within 24hrs, then homosexuals are not oppressed in this country.

  7. #207
    User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    A Pale Blue Dot
    Last Seen
    07-08-12 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    107

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Omgitsme View Post
    Discrimination in the workplace is something like not getting hired or promoted because your LGBT.

    And its actually 19% of transgendered/gender non-conforming Americans not LGBT Americans.
    I've seen that stat for California, although it is a little different: "1 in 5 respondents have been homeless since they first identified as transgender."

    http://www.transgenderlawcenter.org/...ansCAFINAL.pdf

    This is different than saying 1 in 5 are homeless at any given time.

    As a transitioning male, I can tell you there are a lot of financial challenges. Many of us lose their familial support. College can be a refuge but not all TGs are college material.

    It's a rich trans/poor trans dichotomy. The same report says that TGs are twice as likely to be below the poverty line but twice as likely to have college degrees.

    It is a diverse group which does face discrimination. Note that this study is in California which has some of the most protective laws for TGs in the country.

  8. #208
    User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    A Pale Blue Dot
    Last Seen
    07-08-12 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    107

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    If any homosexual, or anyone who supports "gay-rights" can come to this thread in support of homosexuals and NOT be executed within 24hrs, then homosexuals are not oppressed in this country.
    Silliness.

  9. #209
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    If any homosexual, or anyone who supports "gay-rights" can come to this thread in support of homosexuals and NOT be executed within 24hrs, then homosexuals are not oppressed in this country.
    The definition of oppression is not "fearing for your life."
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  10. #210
    Guru
    ChuckBerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Last Seen
    10-28-13 @ 01:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,491

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joni View Post
    It's a rich trans/poor trans dichotomy. The same report says that TGs are twice as likely to be below the poverty line but twice as likely to have college degrees.
    This is fascinating...is there any speculation as to what causes this reverse bell curve in terms of income/education?
    The morality of abortion is not a religious belief, any more than the morality of slavery, apartheid, rape, larceny, murder or arson is a religious belief. These are norms of the natural law of mankind and can be legislated even in a completely religionless society.

Page 21 of 38 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •