View Poll Results: Are Homosexuals oppressed in America?

Voters
179. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, homosexuals are oppressed in America.

    53 29.61%
  • No, homosexuals are not oppressed in America

    125 69.83%
  • I don't know

    1 0.56%
Page 14 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 376

Thread: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

  1. #131
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Actual vote is 22 to 11.
    I've PM'd CC about it. Hopefully he'll locate which person those fraudulent votes belong to, and fix the poll, basically. I think it can be discerned with an IP check.

    Back to the issue, I agree that some negative things that happen to homosexuals are wrong, but I think it cheapens the usage of "oppression" by equating the gay marriage issue to Nazi Germany/Slavery.

    Imo blocking the redefinition of marriage isn't the same as actual oppression.

  2. #132
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Alright...let's move on from this "oppression" crap, since it seems to me like almost all of Wake's threads turn into substanceless semantic debates over words rather than real issues.

    Most of us agree on the following things that homosexuals experience in this country:

    1) Most of them cannot marry the person they love, except in a select few states
    2) Some of them are barred from adopting children.
    3) Many, if not most of them experience family problems due to their struggles with their orientation, and social alienation and ostracization in wider society.
    4) Going off of the above, they also experience housing and employment discrimination.
    5) They are denied the legal and fiduciary benefits of marriage that many straights take for granted.

    The list goes on. Whether or not this actually consists of oppression, can we all at least agree that this is wrong, and an injustice?
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  3. #133
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBerry View Post
    Permit me to give my response, even though you did not ask for it.

    If humans sexually reproduced with male pairs or female pairs, then I would completely agree that it made no sense for government to sanction opposite sex marriage. Were I heterosexual in such a society I wouldn't demand that the mainstream of society change itself for my decidedly minority proclivities.

    I would, however, push for civil unions, or something like it, so that I could have the rights you refer to when it came to my spouse.
    Response appreciated, but I have to say that the legal institution of marriage has little to do with reproduction or the ability to reproduce, so I fail to see why that should be a factor when it comes to what kind of marriage government should or should not sanction.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  4. #134
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Alright...let's move on from this "oppression" crap,(1) since it seems to me like almost all of Wake's threads turn into substanceless semantic debates over words rather than real issues.

    (2) Most of us agree on the following things that homosexuals experience in this country:

    1) Most of them cannot marry the person they love, except in a select few states
    2) Some of them are barred from adopting children.
    3) Many, if not most of them experience family problems due to their struggles with their orientation, and social alienation and ostracization in wider society.
    4) Going off of the above, they also experience housing and employment discrimination.
    5) They are denied the legal and fiduciary benefits of marriage that many straights take for granted.

    The list goes on. Whether or not this actually consists of oppression, can we all at least agree that this is wrong, and an injustice?
    (1) I disagree with the baseless hyperbole.

    (2) I neither support or oppose gay marriage. Negating the redefinition of marriage isn't oppression.

    I'll agree that homosexuals should be allowed to adopt. Housing and employment discrimination isn't good imo. However, families do have the right to voice their opinions regarding their belief. If my child were living in my house, over the age of 18, and refused to work/go to school and planned to be a prostitute... well, I don't know what I'd do tbh.

    The whole marriage issue is still being debated, so it's not like we can broadly declare/assume one side victorious/right.

    Let the people decide on the gay marriage issue. Just don't misuse words to elicit emotional appeal.

  5. #135
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    (1) I disagree with the baseless hyperbole.

    (2) I neither support or oppose gay marriage. Negating the redefinition of marriage isn't oppression.

    I'll agree that homosexuals should be allowed to adopt. Housing and employment discrimination isn't good imo. However, families do have the right to voice their opinions regarding their belief. If my child were living in my house, over the age of 18, and refused to work/go to school and planned to be a prostitute... well, I don't know what I'd do tbh.

    The whole marriage issue is still being debated, so it's not like we can broadly declare/assume one side victorious/right.

    Let the people decide on the gay marriage issue. Just don't misuse words to elicit emotional appeal.
    1) The rights of the minority should not be subject to the whims of the majority.

    2) You didn't actually answer my question. Is this an injustice, or is it not? I have not misused any words, and there is nothing wrong with emotional appeal - precisely because this is an emotional issue for many - as long as you have used facts to back it up. Which I have.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  6. #136
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Let the people decide on the gay marriage issue.
    Absolutely not. I don't how many times this has to be repeated: The rights of a minority should never be voted upon by the majority.

    Also, gays still suffer oppression according to the definitions in your OP.

  7. #137
    OWL Forever
    katiegrrl0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    at the computer
    Last Seen
    07-07-17 @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    4,121

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    (1) I disagree with the baseless hyperbole.

    (2) I neither support or oppose gay marriage. Negating the redefinition of marriage isn't oppression.

    I'll agree that homosexuals should be allowed to adopt. Housing and employment discrimination isn't good imo. However, families do have the right to voice their opinions regarding their belief. If my child were living in my house, over the age of 18, and refused to work/go to school and planned to be a prostitute... well, I don't know what I'd do tbh.

    The whole marriage issue is still being debated, so it's not like we can broadly declare/assume one side victorious/right.

    Let the people decide on the gay marriage issue. Just don't misuse words to elicit emotional appeal.
    Just because you personally disagree does not make it less than it is. I am sure some thought the same about other situations where oppression was taking place. Look at it this way I am sure a slave dealer thought it was okay to sell people. Yes it is a different brand of oppression and a higher degree but it still states the same thing. Because this dealer didn't think it was oppressive did that make it correct? No it does not justify discrimination because a person doesn't think it so.
    The flame that is between us could set every soul on fire. I would love to take that heat and let's fill the whole world with desire.
    Sophie B. Hawkins

  8. #138
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,827

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Currently, do you think homosexuals are oppressed in America?


    Google
    your definition at face value, common sense and reality points me to only one answer: YES

    any other answer is based off of some other thought process and additional qualifiers not mentioned to chance the definition posted to something else more subjective.

    Logically how could anyone answer no I cant see any logic supporting that
    Last edited by AGENT J; 03-12-12 at 06:50 PM.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #139
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,827

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    always funny how these polls get spammed every time. Gay rights polls always get spammed by trolls LMAO

    wow people are insecure
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #140
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:07 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,063

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    oppressed
    Verb:
    1.Keep (someone) in subservience and hardship, esp. by the unjust exercise of authority.
    2.Cause (someone) to feel distressed, anxious, or uncomfortable: "he was oppressed by worry".
    1. No
    2. No more than my ex-wife oppressed me with her BPD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

Page 14 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •