View Poll Results: Are Homosexuals oppressed in America?

Voters
179. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, homosexuals are oppressed in America.

    53 29.61%
  • No, homosexuals are not oppressed in America

    125 69.83%
  • I don't know

    1 0.56%
Page 10 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 376

Thread: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

  1. #91
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:22 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,315
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I disagree. I think that marriage, as a social contract and in regards to sexuality, is allowed to be voted on by people who have their equal belief that homosexuality does not fit the definition of marriage. A state, and it's people, should be allowed to define marriage as a union between a man and a woman as husband and wife. I support SSM, but I don't support taking away the rights of others within society who have voted according to their moral beliefs just like others have. I just disagree with the premise that many want to push off that homosexuals are some bitterly oppressed minority group at the hands of those mean old social conservatives/Christians.

    Socially homosexuals may be oppressed. People may be disgusted or not approve of homosexual affection or whatnot, but any group of people can receive this kind of treatment. I've been cursed out, judged, threatened with violence, and lost friends over my Christian beliefs and social stances. People in this world are intolerant of many views and lifestyles, and it may be "oppression" to a certain level, but I don't think it's fair to call homosexuals oppressed as a distinct minority group.
    You have never been subect to even 1/10th what gays went through as little as 20 years ago. Probably not 1/100th.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #92
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    But telling gays about their sinful nature can and would lead to fulfilling your second defintion. Again, you supplied the definitions.
    Oh come on.

    So merely opining that it's a sin is oppressive? OMFG. I suppose prostitutes are oppressed as well because some believe it's a sin.

    Give me a break.

  3. #93
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:22 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,315
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Other definitions apply, not just the one in the OP. [Also, definition battles are tiresome.] I figured the general Google definition would suffice. Other definitions/augmentations, like digsbe's, are able to be used as well.
    The general google defintion absolutely does suffice. The problem is that by that definition, gays are oppressed. The fault is entirely yours for supplying those definitions and then not liking the clear answer that results from those definitions.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #94
    OWL Forever
    katiegrrl0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    at the computer
    Last Seen
    07-07-17 @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    4,121

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Yes, we agree on degrees ... Jews had it worse than blacks who had it worse than LGBT today. My only comment and point is that a comparison between civil rights level oppression and current LGBT is ridiculous. I stand by that statement.
    Throughout the thread I have stated oppression is in degrees. Just as gays are not experiencing today what they experienced in the years prior to say 1980. It is far better than it used to be. It will be better tomorrow and hopefully in five years there will not be threads like this any longer.
    The flame that is between us could set every soul on fire. I would love to take that heat and let's fill the whole world with desire.
    Sophie B. Hawkins

  5. #95
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,982

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    You have never been subect to even 1/10th what gays went through as little as 20 years ago. Probably not 1/100th.
    What exactly did they go through 20 years ago? To be truthful from what I've seen, I don't think gays today have gone through half of what I've had to go through as a socially conservative Christian (especially when I was opposed to SSM).
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  6. #96
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:22 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,315
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Oh come on.

    So merely opining that it's a sin is oppressive? OMFG. I suppose prostitutes are oppressed as well because some believe it's a sin.

    Give me a break.
    Prostitution is a career, being gay is something you are. You can stop being a prostitute, you cannot stop being gay(needed caveat since Wake will try and latch on this...the vast majority of gay people, maybe not all). That is also but one example.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #97
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I disagree. I think that marriage, as a social contract and in regards to sexuality, is allowed to be voted on by people who have their equal belief that homosexuality does not fit the definition of marriage. A state, and it's people, should be allowed to define marriage as a union between a man and a woman as husband and wife.
    People should not be allowed to vote such a law into existence for exactly the same reason they're not allowed to vote to create a law preventing women from owning property. We have a constitution in this country. The purpose of a Constitution is precisely to prevent the majority of a voting block from enacting laws that violate fundamental principles enshrined in that constitution. If this is a violation of rights, than having a constitution is a violation of rights.

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Socially homosexuals may be oppressed. People may be disgusted or not approve of homosexual affection or whatnot, but any group of people can receive this kind of treatment. I've been cursed out, judged, threatened with violence, and lost friends over my Christian beliefs and social stances. People in this world are intolerant of many views and lifestyles, and it may be "oppression" to a certain level, but I don't think it's fair to call homosexuals oppressed as a distinct minority group.
    Once again, these are distinguishable situations. I've said this twice in the last few pages of this thread, but it apparently bears repeating: Currently it's perfectly legal under federal law for an employer to fire someone for being homosexual (about half the states have state laws preventing such a thing). It is not at all legal under federal law for employers to fire someone for being (e.g.) female, black, Christian, etc. This puts gays in a worse position in terms of legal protection than any other class of people today.

  8. #98
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    I love subjective arguments involving semantics, it creates wild, wide ranging discussions that go nowhere.

    If the OP asked an objective question like: "Are Homosexuals discriminated against?", the answer is quite clear.
    But then, the thread would be short...and that wouldn't do much for some egos.

  9. #99
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Prostitution is a career, being gay is something you are. You can stop being a prostitute, you cannot stop being gay(needed caveat since Wake will try and latch on this...the vast majority of gay people, maybe not all). That is also but one example.
    That is still under discussion. It is not fact that homosexuals are born gay, or can change their orientation.

    My point still stands. You think that merely opining homosexuality is a belief is oppression. Christians also believe prostitution is a sin, so you would have to think that's oppressive as well.

  10. #100
    OWL Forever
    katiegrrl0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    at the computer
    Last Seen
    07-07-17 @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    4,121

    Re: Are Homosexuals Oppressed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Also, it must be said that merely believing homosexuality is a sin, according to Traditional Christianity, is not oppression.
    It matters not that you think it is a sin. It is the action that stems from that belief that is what makes gays life different. Because people think it is a sin in a religious sense we can't marry. It is because preachers teach about the evils of being gay that hatred builds. It's what a person does with what they believe that makes the problem. You may hate the sin but not the sinner. In many though the hate extends beyond the sin to the sinner as well. Isn't that what your bible tells you?
    The flame that is between us could set every soul on fire. I would love to take that heat and let's fill the whole world with desire.
    Sophie B. Hawkins

Page 10 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •