View Poll Results: Have you ever been willfully ignorant?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    14 66.67%
  • No

    5 23.81%
  • Other

    2 9.52%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 50

Thread: Have you ever been willfully ignorant?

  1. #21
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Have you ever been willfully ignorant?

    I've never done that on DP -- though every once in a great while I'll play devil's advocate. Usually get myself in trouble when I do that. Ha!

    In my real life, I often play dumb. I get a lot more done that way as a blonde.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  2. #22
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: Have you ever been willfully ignorant?

    I am willfully ignorant on a few things, but it isn't because of politics it is due to lack of money and wanting to have made the right consumer choice. I specifically do this with videogames, and Apple stuff. For the most part my videogame choices Xbox mainly, and my tech choices: iPhone, Mac, etc are the best choices but there are several glaring reasons why they are bad choices, and I either redirect someone telling me those things, or essentially try to make them out to be liars. I don't know, its just a thing I do.

    Politically, I've learned to trust no one or few sources. I typically try to get my news and facts from various sources such as PBS, CNN, NYT, local news, AP, and general polling/news aggregation. I even do it with weather. I use my default weather app, weather channel weather app, local news weather app and go from there. Then again, I think weathermen are practicing politicians because they say the same ****ing thing right until the thing actually happens and then change there mind.
    "We’re going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying ten percent of his salary, and that’s crazy." -Reagan

  3. #23
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-28-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    Re: Have you ever been willfully ignorant?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Be honest. Have you ever been willfully ignorant in a political debate, here or elsewhere? If so, why? Did you think it was necessary to get your point across? Did you think the person you were debating was introducing information that was irrelevant to the discussion? Did you have a personal attachment to topic that you felt was threatened by the information you were ignoring?

    In addition, when you realize someone else is being willfully ignorant, how do you respond?
    These is a pretty complex questions and my answer depends on the setting, my role and what I am trying to get out of the discussion. There are times where there are no facts at issue other times where opinion is all that matters and I do not hold back. If I am trying to get a discussion going or get deeper into an issue I will sometimes take sides, change positions, but, be intentionally ignorant I do not think so. I do not ignore facts and use them in an argument if they help towards resolution of an issue.

    When I see someone is being intentionally ignorant I do not really mind unless they are being totally unresponsive, then what is the sense of getting into a discussion.

    In the end, when I see someone simply playing games I.E. playing by rules only they know, refusing to acknowledge that which has been established, cherry picking and/or making fallacious statements which by their nature are only intended to further their personal goals of which I may not be aware of I thank them for their time and move on. There is no sense discussing anything after that.

  4. #24
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Have you ever been willfully ignorant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    To be ignorant is to lack knowledge, information, or awareness.

    I don't believe any political parties champion those three aspects.
    So I'll take this as a yes...

  5. #25
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Have you ever been willfully ignorant?

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    Does your definition of "willfully ignorant" essentially mean "playing dumb?"
    Yes, it does.

  6. #26
    Guru
    Diogenes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    10-11-13 @ 06:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,980

    Re: Have you ever been willfully ignorant?

    Quote Originally Posted by OhIsee.Then View Post
    If the problem is actually identical. Often problems that are thought to be identical, because they share several high level issues, but they are not in detail; then a solution that worked before may not work in the new application or vice versa.
    Here is one from engineering: Standard solution "Work with convention when cooling an electronics rack with fans, i.e. blow from bottom to top." Wrong! If a piece of printer paper falls to the floor and slides over to my cabinet design it gets sucked up blocking the air intake, cooling failure. But some people would just say its the papers fault.
    But you could keep trying to blow from bottom to top, hoping for a different result. This sometimes happens when people misdiagnose a problem and think it is different this time when it really isn't. After all, some people still believe in Keynesian economics.
    "We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
    - Abraham Lincoln

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Have you ever been willfully ignorant?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    So I'll take this as a yes...
    Yes. We've all done this. However, why would one ever act so dumb as to seem lost in a fog of cluelessness?

  8. #28
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Have you ever been willfully ignorant?

    I don't think so...


    I like to think that I question everything - but by that very measure, I have to question whether I question everything...


    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  9. #29
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,793

    Re: Have you ever been willfully ignorant?

    I don't remember a time but it's certainly possible in the distant past. I tend to research subjects that I'm unfamiliar with, assuming I want to get involved at all. I also have the ability to step back from what I believe in an attempt to find out what's actually true, something I see far too seldom around here. For too many, adopting a position that they are emotionally attached to, whether it's factually correct or not, is a way of life.

    That's sad.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  10. #30
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: Have you ever been willfully ignorant?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    ....
    In my real life, I often play dumb. I get a lot more done that way as a blonde.
    Sorry you have to play dumb. I've had a lot of work experiences w/ women. A comment on women: There were two very expert women engineers that I'd have come to my meetings if things were going to be contentious. Even if we didn't agree I'd personally visit them to insure their attendance. I found that one or two expert women in a meeting sure correct the behavior of testosterone charged men. We could actually get rational decisions reached. So, only play dumb when you have to.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •