View Poll Results: Are you for or agains GMO?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • For

    4 17.39%
  • Against

    17 73.91%
  • I don't care

    1 4.35%
  • I haven't decided yet

    1 4.35%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 49

Thread: Gmo

  1. #31
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,078

    Re: Gmo

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    Basically, that's they way they test drugs on humans, too. The don't use mega-doses (that's done during animal testing) but they often use much higher doses than what's being predicted for public use to see what it does to healthy humans.

    So you're in the early stages of testing animal DNA modification, testing the affect on the cells themselves before it's tested on whole animal? That must be interesting work, though it must be boring at times, too. Thanks for the info!
    my current job is fundamental research; not performed for a direct commercial application. however, all fundamental research is a piece of the whole puzzle. those who develop specific treatments depend on fundamental research to develop treatments.

    the best analogy i can think of is this : if an effective treatment for a range of debilitating genetic muscle disorders is a road trip from New York to LA, i'm currently mapping streets and highways in Kearney, Nebraska. those who are innovating the treatment will most likely be driving through there, and they'll need to know what that segment of the trip looks like in specific detail.

  2. #32
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,422
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Gmo

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    I think we already do that and have been doing it for some time, though it's rather crude at this point. We're not building DNA from scratch or anything. As far as I know we're just pushing around some already existing sequences and controlling which genes cross over to the next generation.

    But I'll yield to Helix for details, I'm an amateur at best.
    While this is not a field where I have a lot of expertise either, they are actually doing things like adding fish genes to plants (tomatos or strawberries) and other sequences that would never occur in nature.

    And while I support the science in CONCEPT, as I do nuclear power, my reservations arise when the profit motive gets involved. There were concerns about the Monarch butterfly and GMO corn at one point. And pretty much all the corn is "infected" with GMO mods.

    So my take is a) keep moving forward on it. b) label products so that consumers can choose. And c) make sure GMO crops are sterile so the modifications remain contained should a problem arise.

    In a world where short term profits are king, anything with potential for long-term consequences should be watched closely lest todays profits turn into tomorrows catastrophes.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  3. #33
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Gmo

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    While this is not a field where I have a lot of expertise either, they are actually doing things like adding fish genes to plants (tomatos or strawberries) and other sequences that would never occur in nature.

    And while I support the science in CONCEPT, as I do nuclear power, my reservations arise when the profit motive gets involved. There were concerns about the Monarch butterfly and GMO corn at one point. And pretty much all the corn is "infected" with GMO mods.

    So my take is a) keep moving forward on it. b) label products so that consumers can choose. And c) make sure GMO crops are sterile so the modifications remain contained should a problem arise.

    In a world where short term profits are king, anything with potential for long-term consequences should be watched closely lest todays profits turn into tomorrows catastrophes.
    I agree keeping them sterile does lessen the risks and it also keeps the treatment effective. If these plants could even reproduce in the wild (and I don't think they can because the gene won't match up) they might not pass along the modifications we've made anyway.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  4. #34
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:49 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,432

    Re: Gmo

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Everything we eat has already been genetically modified.

    That's why bananas no longer have any seeds.


    True to an extent

    GM foods in the past did not have genes from fish transplanted into tomatoes to help prevent frost damage. Nor did GM corn have built in insecticide producing genes. Among two of the more serious types of GM foods


    Imagine if a gene from fish produces an allergic reaction in people is added to a different food, suddenly peoples healths are at risk without their knowledge. Or in the case of Bt Corn, what are the long term effects of injesting insecticides? Ones that can not be washed off the food you are going to eat
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  5. #35
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:49 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,432

    Re: Gmo

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    I agree keeping them sterile does lessen the risks and it also keeps the treatment effective. If these plants could even reproduce in the wild (and I don't think they can because the gene won't match up) they might not pass along the modifications we've made anyway.
    They can and do reproduce in the wild

    Roundup Ready wheat, canola are easily bred and reproduced by farmers if they so choose. One of the issues with GM crops is the potential to contaminae "organic" crops. The genes dont have to match up exactly, which is one reason cross breeding has occured so much in the past
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  6. #36
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,610

    Re: Gmo

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    They can and do reproduce in the wild

    Roundup Ready wheat, canola are easily bred and reproduced by farmers if they so choose. One of the issues with GM crops is the potential to contaminae "organic" crops. The genes dont have to match up exactly, which is one reason cross breeding has occured so much in the past
    You two last post describe one of the big problem with GMO. Say for example a person is allergic to fish, she can't even be safe even if he knows that GMO tomatoes with fish
    can cause an allergic reaction. Because even if she only buys organic tomatoes, those tomatoes can accidently been crossbreed with GMO tomatoes from a nearby field.

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Gmo

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    Are you for or against GMO?
    Do you think it should be banned or the other way round?
    Do you trust politicians and "experts" regarding this matter?

    It'd help if you stated in your OP what GMOs are.

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Gmo

    Assuming you mean genetically modified organisms, it really depends.

    Nations from 1st to 3rd class benefit greatly from more productive food.

    I wonder how many lives are saved in poor nations from the bounty of GMOs.

  9. #39
    User John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    02-16-13 @ 09:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    72

    Re: Gmo

    I think it should be illegal.

    Before we worry about "Needing" genetically modified things. Why don't we worry about clearing out what causes the problems in the first place? World is starving, let's end food subsidies in the USA and clear transport for all excess foodstuffs to be sent around the world instead of trying to make it into a half assed fuel to promote a "Green Energy" agenda; instead of pushing up food prices globally?

    I love clean energy, but as it was placed in a Washington post article. Wind farms are being shut down because they produce energy when it isn't needed. Why not increase storage capacity? This is the crisis that has created the "NEED" for genetically modified goods. Because politicians say we can make corn or something into fuel. We've gotten in the way of ourselves to keep us from solving a problem instead of solving it.

  10. #40
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Gmo

    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I think it should be illegal.
    Before we worry about "Needing" genetically modified things. Why don't we worry about clearing out what causes the problems in the first place? World is starving, let's end food subsidies in the USA and clear transport for all excess foodstuffs to be sent around the world instead of trying to make it into a half assed fuel to promote a "Green Energy" agenda; instead of pushing up food prices globally?
    I love clean energy, but as it was placed in a Washington post article. Wind farms are being shut down because they produce energy when it isn't needed. Why not increase storage capacity? This is the crisis that has created the "NEED" for genetically modified goods. Because politicians say we can make corn or something into fuel. We've gotten in the way of ourselves to keep us from solving a problem instead of solving it.
    Personally, I think wind farms leave something to be desired - they take up space that could be used for other purposes. Also, they produce noise and damage wildlife (flying).

    Of course, similar things can be said for most other energy production sources...

    But corn-based ethanol fuel is really a bad idea, IMO.

    If any biomass is used to create fuel, it should be one that isn't edible...
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •