View Poll Results: Should military members be able to freely express their opinions on politics?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    23 39.66%
  • No

    26 44.83%
  • More than currently allowed, but not freely

    2 3.45%
  • Less than currently allowed

    7 12.07%
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 98

Thread: Should military members be able to freely express their opinions on politics?

  1. #1
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Should military members be able to freely express their opinions on politics?

    SAN DIEGO (AP) — Marine Sgt. Gary Stein first started a Facebook page called Armed Forces Tea Party Patriots to encourage service members to exercise their free speech rights. Then he declared that he wouldn't follow orders from the commander in chief, President Barack Obama.

    While Stein softened his statement to say he wouldn't follow "unlawful orders," military observers say he may have gone too far.

    The Marine Corps is now looking into whether he violated the military's rules prohibiting political statements by those in uniform and broke its guidelines on what troops can and cannot say on social media. Stein said his views are constitutionally protected.

    While troops have always expressed their views in private, Stein's case highlights the potential for their opinions to go global as tech-savvy service members post personal details, videos and pictures that can hurt the military's image at home and abroad..............

    The link provides the rest of the story.
    Also, the second link describes our rights as service members regarding free speech.
    Marine's Facebook page tests military rules - Yahoo! News
    Watch what you say: Speech limits under UCMJ - Military Law, Military Law Advice, Ask a Lawyer - Army Times
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  2. #2
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Should military members be able to freely express their opinions on politics?

    And no, that's not me. I know someone would ask.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  3. #3
    Student
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    11-11-12 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    158

    Re: Should military members be able to freely express their opinions on politics?

    They're the ones fighting for everyone's freedom. It is freedom of speech. I do not see how one physically fighting and risking their lives could be stripped of their right to freedom of speech.

  4. #4
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Should military members be able to freely express their opinions on politics?

    Hard to say. They are essentially government property while they in the military.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  5. #5
    defected to kekistan
    beerftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    kekistan
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 01:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    13,376

    Re: Should military members be able to freely express their opinions on politics?

    should they yes,are they allowed to no.before i left active duty being a member of the tea party or joining a tea party rally was considered treason.if your chain of command is mean they could even charge you for saying your gonna vote out obama,why because to the army die hards he is the commander in cheif.most military members dont care but some are anal about anything other than pleasent being said about the president.

  6. #6
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should military members be able to freely express their opinions on politics?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Hard to say. They are essentially government property while they in the military.
    No they are not. They are still people.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #7
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    Re: Should military members be able to freely express their opinions on politics?

    Sure, as long as their political allegiances and convictions don't interfere with their contractual obligations.

  8. #8
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should military members be able to freely express their opinions on politics?

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    SAN DIEGO (AP) — Marine Sgt. Gary Stein first started a Facebook page called Armed Forces Tea Party Patriots to encourage service members to exercise their free speech rights. Then he declared that he wouldn't follow orders from the commander in chief, President Barack Obama.

    While Stein softened his statement to say he wouldn't follow "unlawful orders," military observers say he may have gone too far.

    The Marine Corps is now looking into whether he violated the military's rules prohibiting political statements by those in uniform and broke its guidelines on what troops can and cannot say on social media. Stein said his views are constitutionally protected.

    While troops have always expressed their views in private, Stein's case highlights the potential for their opinions to go global as tech-savvy service members post personal details, videos and pictures that can hurt the military's image at home and abroad..............

    The link provides the rest of the story.
    Also, the second link describes our rights as service members regarding free speech.
    Marine's Facebook page tests military rules - Yahoo! News
    Watch what you say: Speech limits under UCMJ - Military Law, Military Law Advice, Ask a Lawyer - Army Times
    Good question! On the facebook page, calling it "Armed Forces..." is probably going to have gone too far. Military personnel can express their own political opinions, but have to be clear that it is personal opinion and not the opinion of the service. Advocating not following orders for any reason in such a setting is also probably going to be inappropriate. In both cases, he really skirts close to the line.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #9
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Should military members be able to freely express their opinions on politics?

    For clarification, are you suggesting that the troops question, and even publicly debate command?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  10. #10
    defected to kekistan
    beerftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    kekistan
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 01:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    13,376

    Re: Should military members be able to freely express their opinions on politics?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    No they are not. They are still people.
    my father still has old photos of navy rations in the 80's.those photos say on the box NOT FIT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION-MILITARY USE ONLY.

    if that doesnt say how our government views soldiers nothing will.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •