View Poll Results: Is it racist to be bigoted rude/insulting against Hispanics?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, because being Hispanic is a culture, not a race. [It's still bigoted behavior]

    12 40.00%
  • Yes, because being Hispanic is a race.

    12 40.00%
  • Other

    6 20.00%
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 154

Thread: Racism against Hispanics?

  1. #91
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    11-29-16 @ 07:28 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,441

    Re: Racism against Hispanics?

    Oh yes, and I forgot to add that it's great when crowds chant USA, any time, any where. It means some people still care about this country, unlike Democrats and Republicans.

  2. #92
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,198

    Re: Racism against Hispanics?

    I have yet to see a reasonable explanation for why they would be chanting that in the first place.

    Look at the context: It's a high school basketball game. One team is predominantly white "Anglos." The other is primarily of a Hispanic ethnicity. Both teams are from American schools. After winning the game, the "Anglo" kids break into a chant of "USA! USA!"

    1) It wasn't a situation where chanting "USA" makes any sense at all. Neither team represented the USA more than the other team.
    2) It wasn't a situation where they'd applaud both teams. Have you ever been to a high school basketball game?
    3) The words used were not particularly "racist" or offensive.

    Given the context, the idea that this was somehow addressed at one team's ethnicity is the only explanation that makes sense. Despite the mental gymnastics going on. Now maybe, just maybe, they do that after every game they win. That's highly unlikely. If someone can show that, then I'll switch sides.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  3. #93
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    11-29-16 @ 07:28 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,441

    Re: Racism against Hispanics?

    Why complain about the inevitable results of 'Identity Politics' fomented almost entirely by faux 'Liberal' Political Correctness' as a party platform, along with a educational system that aggravates divisions through such transparently racist policies like 'Bi-lingual Education' and other programs that are solely designed to promote hatred of the US and 'Whitey' in particular, through revisionist 'histories' and other 'policies''? That's as stupid as complaining about vaccinations preventing epidemics. You get what you ask for, so don't complain about the results. This is assuming, of course, that the reasons the chanting broke out is even related to the 'ethnicity' of the other team in the first place, which isn't at all clear from the article anyway.

    How do people feel about 'Latino' culture celebrating a racist, violent, imperialist, war-mongering, slave owning culture that practiced human sacrifice and played 'ball games' with the heads of conquered enemies? There was a big celebration of Aztec 'culture' here recently; didn't see any complaints about it, from anybody, in the media or elsewhere, so why is chanting 'USA' supposed to be 'bad'?

    What would happen if some group of white people 'celebrated' Southern slavery with a pageant featuring blacks picking cotton and serving mint julips to white people? Same thing, but one is a 'pride celebration' and the other is, well, just 'White', and unacceptable ...

    Consistency matters.
    Last edited by Oberon; 03-09-12 at 07:18 AM.

  4. #94
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    11-29-16 @ 07:28 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,441

    Re: Racism against Hispanics?

    I have yet to see a reasonable explanation for why they would be chanting that in the first place.
    Really? I've yet to see a reasonable explanation for the predominately hispanic team not joining in. There was no reason for them not to. It speaks volumes that they didn't, and about what their high school is teaching them about the US, they were also an 'American' team supposedly so, just maybe, you've answered your own question on why, you just find the answer inconvenient.
    Last edited by Oberon; 03-09-12 at 08:12 AM.

  5. #95
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Racism against Hispanics?

    After losing the game, you think they would be in the mood to cheer for the opposing team? How many times have you seen this happen?
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  6. #96
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Racism against Hispanics?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    I have yet to see a reasonable explanation for why they would be chanting that in the first place.

    Look at the context: It's a high school basketball game. One team is predominantly white "Anglos." The other is primarily of a Hispanic ethnicity. Both teams are from American schools. After winning the game, the "Anglo" kids break into a chant of "USA! USA!"

    1) It wasn't a situation where chanting "USA" makes any sense at all. Neither team represented the USA more than the other team.
    2) It wasn't a situation where they'd applaud both teams. Have you ever been to a high school basketball game?
    3) The words used were not particularly "racist" or offensive.

    Given the context, the idea that this was somehow addressed at one team's ethnicity is the only explanation that makes sense. Despite the mental gymnastics going on. Now maybe, just maybe, they do that after every game they win. That's highly unlikely. If someone can show that, then I'll switch sides.
    They are playing so dumb. If there was ever a cut and dry case of assholism, it's this case. But it's easier for these types of people to justify it (probably because they use these types of excuses to cover their own prejudices).
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  7. #97
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,198

    Re: Racism against Hispanics?

    Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Really? I've yet to see a reasonable explanation for the predominately hispanic team not joining in. There was no reason for them not to. It speaks volumes that they didn't, and about what their high school is teaching them about the US, they were also an 'American' team supposedly so, just maybe, you've answered your own question on why, you just find the answer inconvenient.
    So it was "Hooray everybody?" Again, it wasn't the Special Olympics where you get a gold medal because you tried really hard.

    Or the opposing team was supposed to join in with the home fans who were cheering against them?

    Think for 10 seconds about what happened. They were just chanting USA because it seemed like the thing to do? That would be pretty moronic.

    When I was in high school, our basketball rival was St. Joe's. We used to go to the game and chant "Joe's Blows! Joe's Blows!" Strangely, the kids from St. Joe's never joined in, even though it was pretty obvious that St. Joe's did, in fact, blow. I guess they just couldn't deal with reality. That must be it. Because we meant it as "Good Job Everybody!"


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  8. #98
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Racism against Hispanics?

    Going back to answering the OP, is it possible to be racist to something other than what's considered a race:

    (My thanks goes to the Rev. for reminding me of this incident in NY)
    Monitoring Of Muslim Students Sparks Outrage CBS New York

    Here is a clear case of racism, without actually having race be involved. The prejudice and discrimination against muslims is racist. The fact that they have been targeted with nothing more than their association to the group (muslims) is a clear act of discrimination, and therefore racism.
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  9. #99
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Racism against Hispanics?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    Going back to answering the OP, is it possible to be racist to something other than what's considered a race:

    (My thanks goes to the Rev. for reminding me of this incident in NY)
    Monitoring Of Muslim Students Sparks Outrage CBS New York

    Here is a clear case of racism, without actually having race be involved. The prejudice and discrimination against muslims is racist. The fact that they have been targeted with nothing more than their association to the group (muslims) is a clear act of discrimination, and therefore racism.
    It's a question of semantics. I'd not call bigotry or discrimination against a particular group "racism" when the group in question is not a race. But that doesn't mean this chauvinism is any less real or problematic.

    You can call it "chauvinism" (although that term originally referred to sexism), "bigotry" or something like that.

    Some social scientists created a model calling that kind of bigotry "group-focused enmity", which includes racism, sexism, homophobia, ethnic and nationalistic chauvinism, xenophobia and so on.
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

  10. #100
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Racism against Hispanics?

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    It's a question of semantics. I'd not call bigotry or discrimination against a particular group "racism" when the group in question is not a race. But that doesn't mean this chauvinism is any less real or problematic.

    You can call it "chauvinism" (although that term originally referred to sexism), "bigotry" or something like that.

    Some social scientists created a model calling that kind of bigotry "group-focused enmity", which includes racism, sexism, homophobia, ethnic and nationalistic chauvinism, xenophobia and so on.
    You can call it racism. Hatred or bigotry towards races or ethnicities can be identified as racism.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •