View Poll Results: Do those WHO PAY NO FEDERAL INCOME TAXES have a right to dictate how much others pay?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    19 29.23%
  • No

    36 55.38%
  • other

    10 15.38%
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 106

Thread: Do those WHO PAY NO FEDERAL INCOME TAXES have a right to dictate how much others pay?

  1. #81
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do those WHO PAY NO FEDERAL INCOME TAXES have a right to dictate how much others

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Frankly, this is the most obvious reason that we should never have started social welfare programs of any type, including SS and Medicare. This has become a divisive point in the voting population, because we no longer vote for what we believe would be the most beneficial for all the population, but many people vote based on personal greed. Iow- they vote for the politicians who promise to take from one to give to the other.
    I disagree. Many people believe these programs are the most beneficial for all the popualtion. Voting for them is voting for what is most beneficial for all the populace.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #82
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Do those WHO PAY NO FEDERAL INCOME TAXES have a right to dictate how much others

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I disagree. Many people believe these programs are the most beneficial for all the popualtion. Voting for them is voting for what is most beneficial for all the populace.
    They can believe whatever they want, but they are going to break us eventually. Somehow, I doubt there will be many believers at that point.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  3. #83
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do those WHO PAY NO FEDERAL INCOME TAXES have a right to dictate how much others

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    They can believe whatever they want, but they are going to break us eventually. Somehow, I doubt there will be many believers at that point.
    No, needless war and a reluctance to pay for what we use is going to break us. Not to mention constantly favoring the wealthy and business over working people.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #84
    onomatopoeic
    mbig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-17 @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,350

    Re: Do those WHO PAY NO FEDERAL INCOME TAXES have a right to dictate how much others

    In furtherance of proving the False premise of the opening post..
    even though near 3/4's (much less 50%) of the country want the 'millionaires tax' (much less everyone else's taxes) it doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

    Washington is a place where money/Lobbies talk and ordinary citizens walk.
    Last edited by mbig; 03-07-12 at 12:17 AM.
    I'm personally sick of not being able to dunk a basketball because of racism.
    anon

  5. #85
    Professor xpiher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-23-12 @ 10:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,993
    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Frankly, this is the most obvious reason that we should never have started social welfare programs of any type, including SS and Medicare. This has become a divisive point in the voting population, because we no longer vote for what we believe would be the most beneficial for all the population, but many people vote based on personal greed. Iow- they vote for the politicians who promise to take from one to give to the other.
    You honestly dont believe that it started with social welfare do you

    Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
    Hayek - too liberal for republicans

  6. #86
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,769

    Re: Do those WHO PAY NO FEDERAL INCOME TAXES have a right to dictate how much others

    Quote Originally Posted by mbig View Post
    In furtherance of proving the False premise of the opening post..
    even though near 3/4's (much less 50%) of the country want the 'millionaires tax' (much less everyone else's taxes) it doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

    Washington is a place where money/Lobbies talk and ordinary citizens walk.
    wow , lots of people want others to pay more taxes so they don't have to

    that's really profound

    and it seems to be your main motivation-make other people pay for the stuff you want from government

    Bravo Foxtrot Delta

  7. #87
    onomatopoeic
    mbig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-17 @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,350

    Re: Do those WHO PAY NO FEDERAL INCOME TAXES have a right to dictate how much others

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    wow , lots of people want others to pay more taxes so they don't have to
    that's really profound
    and it seems to be your main motivation-make other people pay for the stuff you want from government

    Bravo Foxtrot Delta
    No, you missed the point in favor of partisanship and your default mode.

    My point was NOT that alot of people want millionaires to pay more, just that even at 75%, much less, 50%, they can't even achieve it against a tiny minority, much less all 'others'. Your partisanship as always, has outstripped your reason.

    And btw, just how many times now have you made basically the same "you just want to soak the rich" post as above? 10,000? 20,000?
    As a 'high power, big money attorney', don't you t!re of spending your nights making the same post 30 times? (as well as 30 more)
    Mebbe stick to guns and stale 1970s tunes.
    Last edited by mbig; 03-07-12 at 01:15 AM.
    I'm personally sick of not being able to dunk a basketball because of racism.
    anon

  8. #88
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Do those WHO PAY NO FEDERAL INCOME TAXES have a right to dictate how much others

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No, needless war and a reluctance to pay for what we use is going to break us. Not to mention constantly favoring the wealthy and business over working people.
    From the 2011 budget- percentages of budget spent per program type:
    Defense/security 20%
    Social security program 20%
    Medicare/Medicaid/ Chps 21%
    Safety Net Programs 14%

    It's prety obvious where the majority of the money is going. (and it's going to get worse because of our changing demographics).
    Last edited by lizzie; 03-07-12 at 01:07 AM.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  9. #89
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Do those WHO PAY NO FEDERAL INCOME TAXES have a right to dictate how much others

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    From the 2011 budget- percentages of budget spent per program type:
    Defense/security 20%
    Social security program 20%
    Medicare/Medicaid/ Chps 21%
    Safety Net Programs 14%

    It's prety obvious where the majority of the money is going.
    Birth control?
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  10. #90
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: Do those WHO PAY NO FEDERAL INCOME TAXES have a right to dictate how much others

    I think it's more important to understand a majority of Americans believe higher taxes are a necessary evil: Americans Support Higher Taxes. Really. | Stan Collender's Capital Gains and Games
    "We’re going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying ten percent of his salary, and that’s crazy." -Reagan

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •