View Poll Results: What do you think welfare should be?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leave it as it is

    3 4.11%
  • Make provisions to the current welfare system. Explain

    29 39.73%
  • Abolish it completely.

    37 50.68%
  • Other. Explain

    4 5.48%
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 104

Thread: Welfare

  1. #91
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Welfare

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Welfare needs a drastic overhaul these days. The amount needs to be reduced, it needs to require full-time employment, recipients should be mandated to take random, frequent drug tests, and women need to be placed on some sort of birth control who receive funding. These are just tips of the iceberg.

    Excellent. I could not have phrased it any better...........
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  2. #92
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Welfare

    Quote Originally Posted by cthomp View Post
    I come from an area that has a lot of people on welfare. My neighboring town is roughly 86%. I can honestly say that when I go through that town I am amazed. It is not rare to see expensive cars, rims, and hear the bumping of expensive stereo systems in cars. For the most part the people are dressed in expensive clothes and shoes. To pile it on it is common to see many people walking the streets in the middle of the day during the week. It frustrates me to see the welfare system abused. However, I am not completely against it. My question is what do you think the welfare system should be like?

    I feel it should go something like this. I would like to see the people on welfare drug tested. Next I think there should be somewhat of a stepping system. People that receive welfare should have to do some community service. Maybe two three times a week to earn their check. Give them x amount of days to get a job. Any job, working at McDonalds if they have to. This way their welfare check can be reduced. The system should be organized to help people get off of their feet, not feel its ok to sit at home and just get a hand-out.
    Excellent repsonse.........
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  3. #93
    User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    03-21-12 @ 11:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7

    idea Re: Welfare

    There is a time in life when people may need welfare. Welfare should be much more conservative. You should be given a card that has all your money on it. Then you use that card to buy things then the government can see what you buy. If you don't hunt for a job or rarely hunt for a job you wil eventually lose your welfare priviliges. Also you should be required to show I.D and a social security number. Basically welfare should be monitired more so the government can know how you're spending that money.

  4. #94
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Welfare

    Quote Originally Posted by Mangoman View Post
    There is a time in life when people may need welfare. Welfare should be much more conservative. You should be given a card that has all your money on it. Then you use that card to buy things then the government can see what you buy. If you don't hunt for a job or rarely hunt for a job you wil eventually lose your welfare priviliges. Also you should be required to show I.D and a social security number. Basically welfare should be monitired more so the government can know how you're spending that money.
    this is so typical of people who don't really understand the way TANF works. able bodied people without children DO NOT receive welfare. most states have time limits on welfare as well.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  5. #95
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:41 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,297

    Re: Welfare

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I think it would easier just have everyone on welfare show up to the welfare office to collect their welfare where they are randomly tested and have a male and female drug tester on the spot to make sure they aren't cheating.
    Just where in that line would Exxon/Mobil, GE, B of A, and the many thousands of Corporate Welfare recipients stand. I think "test them all," acknowledge reality or retreat into your pipe dreams generated by the "Mighty Wurlitzer."

  6. #96
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180
    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    this is so typical of people who don't really understand the way TANF works. able bodied people without children DO NOT receive welfare. most states have time limits on welfare as well.
    Screw drug testing for welfare. Drug test SSDI folks, or boot them from the program if they test hot for it (eg in the course of receiving medical treatment). Then again, I consider SSDI, SSI, and a host of other things welfare, not just the one or two tiny little programs we can't figure out another name for.

  7. #97
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Welfare

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    this is so typical of people who don't really understand the way TANF works. able bodied people without children DO NOT receive welfare. most states have time limits on welfare as well.
    Most people complaining about welfare while they simultaneously oppose a living wage, seem to have no knowledge whatsoever of the welfare reform in 1996.
    Last edited by Catawba; 03-21-12 at 06:04 PM.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  8. #98
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Welfare

    Quote Originally Posted by catawba
    Most people complaining about welfare while they simultaneously oppose a living wage, seem to have no knowledge whatsoever of the welfare reform in 1996.
    Who the hell are you (or anyone else) to determine what a "living wage" is? If you want to boil it down, you could argue that minimum wage is a living wage if you eat extremely cheap and share a place with other people/family(ies).

    I'm rather sick and tired of people who think that mule work entitles them to this, that, and everything else. If you're not making a market wage, don't blame the market. The blame lies back at the accuser.

  9. #99
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Welfare

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Who the hell are you (or anyone else) to determine what a "living wage" is? If you want to boil it down, you could argue that minimum wage is a living wage if you eat extremely cheap and share a place with other people/family(ies).

    I'm rather sick and tired of people who think that mule work entitles them to this, that, and everything else. If you're not making a market wage, don't blame the market. The blame lies back at the accuser.
    Thanks for the far right wing perspective!
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  10. #100
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Welfare

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Who the hell are you (or anyone else) to determine what a "living wage" is? If you want to boil it down, you could argue that minimum wage is a living wage if you eat extremely cheap and share a place with other people/family(ies).
    I agree minimum wage or some derivative thereof should be a living wage.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I'm rather sick and tired of people who think that mule work entitles them to this, that, and everything else. If you're not making a market wage, don't blame the market. The blame lies back at the accuser.
    In the 90's, hell, even for most of Bush's terms, I might have agreed with this. In today's economic climate it's either incredibly short-sighted or typical Party Line.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •