View Poll Results: Right to die

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • People have no right to die under any circumstance

    15 18.52%
  • Only terminally ill people have the right to die

    5 6.17%
  • People have the right to die, but healthcare professionals should not aid in the process

    11 13.58%
  • People have the right to die, and healthcare professionals should be allowed to assist suicide

    46 56.79%
  • Suicide attempts should not be a criminal offense

    26 32.10%
  • Suicide attempts should be illegal

    11 13.58%
  • other

    8 9.88%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 173

Thread: Right to die

  1. #31
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Right to die

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    People who are depressed and suicidal should NOT have a "right" to die. They are mentally unwell and not of sound mind to make such a decision. Often, depression sets in in the late teens and early twenties, when the person has their entire life ahead of them. Their depression may just be a snapshot of one moment in a life that would be full of happiness. People should not be able to kill themselves under those circumstances. That's very different than someone who is terminally ill.
    There should be age limits and if you are over like 25? You should be allowed to do it as long as you can prove you are mentally sound.

    Sure it would be selfish for someone healthy to do it but our body our choice, right?
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  2. #32
    Guru
    Republic Now!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    09-12-14 @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: Right to die

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    There should be age limits and if you are over like 25? You should be allowed to do it as long as you can prove you are mentally sound.

    Sure it would be selfish for someone healthy to do it but our body our choice, right?
    How would you even enforce such a restriction? Consider a 16 year old who decides they want to die so when no one else is around they slit their throat. Or am I misunderstanding your point?

  3. #33
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: Right to die

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    There should be age limits and if you are over like 25? You should be allowed to do it as long as you can prove you are mentally sound.

    Sure it would be selfish for someone healthy to do it but our body our choice, right?
    What about a 10 year old with end-stage cancer who has only a few weeks and is in pain?

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didnít have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, Iím allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and Iíve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I donít, before you know it, you wonít let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    ďReading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.Ē
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

  4. #34
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Right to die

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    There should be age limits and if you are over like 25?
    No. The same logic applies to a 25-year-old that would apply to an 18-year-old. Someone who is committing suicide because they're depressed is acting in what is very likely one snapshot of their life. They could go on to lead a very productive, happy life.

    You should be allowed to do it as long as you can prove you are mentally sound.
    Wanting to commit suicide is itself an indication that the person isn't mentally sound, unless there are extenuating circumstances where they clearly don't have a future (i.e. a terminal illness or lengthy incarceration).

    Sure it would be selfish for someone healthy to do it but our body our choice, right?
    Not without a good reason.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  5. #35
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Right to die

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Yeah, makes no sense to me. I do not agree with doctor assisted suicide in cases where one is mentally ill, however, that doesn't prevent them from taking their own lives without assistance.
    So you would rather someone like me have to do it myself or suffer til the end? Thanks a lot.

    We have rights ya know. I guess the courts would have to get involved because this could be considered discrimination and there are varying levels of mental illness? I think so.
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  6. #36
    Sage
    Enola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    07-30-16 @ 02:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,326
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Right to die

    I killed my dog. that was the hardest thing Ive ever done. My other dog, his buddy, died. And when he died, so do the one still living. he lost all will to live. For months, he barely ate. He wouldnt play any more. He was grieving, just as I was. But then he got cancer. The vet said it would slowly strangle him but as long as he was eating and drinking, I was to let him continue on. Wrong. I had anice chat with him one night. We wer laying on the floor....cuddling. And I whispered in his ear to tell me when he was ready. Did he want to be drugged up? no. Could he not stick around for ME, because losing both would kill my heart. Which was selfish. And he answered int he only way he could. He stared in my eyes. One day soon after that conversation, he couldnt get up without me helping him. And he looked at me. He drank. He ate a little bit. And continued to stare at me. And he shadowed me whenever he could get up on his own.The next morning, it was like I could hear him in my head. It was time. Let him go. He didnt want tobe here any more. He didnt want to strangle.He didnt want to have more pain. Why wait until he felt it so badly? Why? for ME? That, was selfish on my part. So I said ok. Today. And i called the vet who came to myhouse. I told him (my dog), he was going to go now. That his friend was waitng for him and I would be ok. To not be scared. And he as sent over rainbow bridge in my arms. Just as the needle was inserted, he looked at me again and laid his head down, sighed and laid still. As the plunger plunnged, I said "go. Hes waiting. wait for me, too. Ill be along shortly" and his eyes ticked up at me in gratitude. and he was gone. I cried for months. Hubby cried for months. And the day he was gone, the dragonflies came. Thousadns of them. He was letting me know he was fine. I did the right thing, before he suffered further.

    If only a human would do that for me.

  7. #37
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Right to die

    Quote Originally Posted by Enola View Post
    Slippery slope, that. As long as it does not cause harm to another innocent person, then your body is yours to do with as you wish. That includes ending your life. Mentally ill or not. The couple that were married 60 years...one dies, the other follows suit. That person is not mentally ill. They just are tired and dont want to wait. So they go. Me? It all depends on ones spiritual belief. Mine is...I cant go uninvited. Unless my brain isnt firing all its spark plugs due to pain. Or worse..that I am helpless and cant do it myself..then what? torment for years maybe. Torment of having to continue to be where I don't want to be. I don't think that is right.
    It could be argued that the person commiting the act of suicide does harm innocent people in reguards to those left behind. Like the pain of parents when their child takes their own life.

    Most that commit suicide harm on an emotional level in reguards to those that are here in this Earth. It is sad. But I do agree with the right to die.

    I also do feel it is a very selfish act in a lot of cases though.
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  8. #38
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,692

    Re: Right to die

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    So you would rather someone like me have to do it myself or suffer til the end? Thanks a lot.
    We've talked about this before, Kali. If someone is mentally ill, that precludes them from making a rational decision on whether they should live or die. If they are NOT mentally ill, I would have no problem with assisted suicide.

    We have rights ya know. I guess the courts would have to get involved because this could be considered discrimination and there are varying levels of mental illness? I think so.
    Discrimination? Discriminating against the mentally ill for not allowing them to harm themselves? I doubt that the courts will do much with THAT.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  9. #39
    Sage
    Enola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    07-30-16 @ 02:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,326
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Right to die


    This is my baby. My best friend of 14 years. 2 hours befor the vet arrived. I promised him. And he knew. Andhe was ready.

    I pray someone will do the same for me. Because he wait for me. And I wait for him to meet me on the other side of rainbow bridge.


    And now tht I have commenced to get myself totally bawling..I bid you all goodnight. I wont be so maudlin in the morning. Promise. Its just a sad sad subject.

    So for clarification..those who are just weary should have the same trust that someone who loves them will do the same as what I did for my friend and loved on. my dog.

  10. #40
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,154

    Re: Right to die

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    So you would rather someone like me have to do it myself or suffer til the end? Thanks a lot.

    We have rights ya know. I guess the courts would have to get involved because this could be considered discrimination and there are varying levels of mental illness? I think so.
    This. There are lots of different kinds of mental illness, and people with mental illness come to suicide from lots of different directions and for different reasons.

    Yes, there's the person who wakes up one day in a psychotic break or crashing into a first depression and attempts, but that's definitely not all of them, or even the majority. Even the mentally ill will try to fight for their lives, often for years or decades.

    Some people who are mentally ill have simply exhausted all of the options without any improvement, and have decided it's time for them. It's no different than having any other excruciating and untreatable illness.

    One could probably diagnose most people living with any terminal disease as also having depression to some degree. Does that mean they are too "unsound" to decide to die?
    Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 03-04-12 at 04:15 AM.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •