View Poll Results: Right to die

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • People have no right to die under any circumstance

    15 18.52%
  • Only terminally ill people have the right to die

    5 6.17%
  • People have the right to die, but healthcare professionals should not aid in the process

    11 13.58%
  • People have the right to die, and healthcare professionals should be allowed to assist suicide

    46 56.79%
  • Suicide attempts should not be a criminal offense

    26 32.10%
  • Suicide attempts should be illegal

    11 13.58%
  • other

    8 9.88%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 173

Thread: Right to die

  1. #11
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,781

    Re: Right to die

    Kandahar has stated my position to a tee.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  2. #12
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Right to die

    Oregon got it right. I wonder if the Feds have backed off contesting the Assisted Suicide law that only one state has the decency to pass.

  3. #13
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Right to die

    I think that people should be able to commit suicide, especially if they are in severe pain and healthcare professionals should be able to aid them.

    However, I don't think all attempts should always be legal. An example that comes to mind is a person who throws him/herself into traffic. Another is suicide by cop. As long as the attempt does not break any other laws and it is only their life ending or them getting hurt (besides emotionally), it should be their choice.

    I do think that helping them if they are showing signs that they may commit suicide is important though, particularly if the person is not terminally ill or in some extreme, never-ending physical pain.
    Last edited by roguenuke; 03-04-12 at 02:47 AM.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Right to die

    Everyone has the natural right to die. It doesn't matter if they are mentally ill, or if they are of stable mind, all that is just emotional nonsense that blocks the right.

  5. #15
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,990

    Re: Right to die

    To clarify, when I mean "right" I'm mainly saying that the government shouldn't prevent you from being allowed to end your life. I'm mainly looking at how if someone chooses to commit suicide and their attempt fails that they can be criminally charged with trying to take their own life.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  6. #16
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,781

    Re: Right to die

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    To clarify, when I mean "right" I'm mainly saying that the government shouldn't prevent you from being allowed to end your life. I'm mainly looking at how if someone chooses to commit suicide and their attempt fails that they can be criminally charged with trying to take their own life.
    I would agree with this. If someone attempts suicide they should receive mental health treatment, not incarceration.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  7. #17
    Guru
    Republic Now!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    09-12-14 @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: Right to die

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    To clarify, when I mean "right" I'm mainly saying that the government shouldn't prevent you from being allowed to end your life. I'm mainly looking at how if someone chooses to commit suicide and their attempt fails that they can be criminally charged with trying to take their own life.
    IMO, that seems counter productive. What would be the premise for such a criminalization? I suppose one could argue that suicide is a dissenting action counter to a functional society, though in light of an utter lack of victim or direct damage to society, said criminalization would be fairly Fascist in nature.

  8. #18
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,781

    Re: Right to die

    Quote Originally Posted by Republic Now! View Post
    IMO, that seems counter productive. What would be the premise for such a criminalization? I suppose one could argue that suicide is a dissenting action counter to a functional society, though in light of an utter lack of victim or direct damage to society, said criminalization would be fairly Fascist in nature.
    I think he's agreeing with you. Digs doesn't think that criminalization should happen with suicide attempts.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  9. #19
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,340
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Right to die

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I think he's agreeing with you. Digs doesn't think that criminalization should happen with suicide attempts.
    It would be pretty redundant lol.

    "You wanna kill yourself do you? But you failed? Let's put you San Quentin or Rikers Island, you'll definitely feel better in there "

  10. #20
    Student
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    11-11-12 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    158

    Re: Right to die

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I'm mainly looking at how if someone chooses to commit suicide and their attempt fails that they can be criminally charged with trying to take their own life.
    What would this solve? Why not get the person who attempts to take their own life help rather than putting them in prison?

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •