View Poll Results: Right to die

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • People have no right to die under any circumstance

    15 18.52%
  • Only terminally ill people have the right to die

    5 6.17%
  • People have the right to die, but healthcare professionals should not aid in the process

    11 13.58%
  • People have the right to die, and healthcare professionals should be allowed to assist suicide

    46 56.79%
  • Suicide attempts should not be a criminal offense

    26 32.10%
  • Suicide attempts should be illegal

    11 13.58%
  • other

    8 9.88%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 173

Thread: Right to die

  1. #101
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Right to die

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    All that falls under passive euthanasia or passive suicide. Most terminally ill cancer patients who die in hospital die because the morphine levels are so high that it challenges their respiratory system. However, others who opt for passive starvation could end up getting a doctor who is a stiffler for intervention and will order a feeding tube inserted. Without laws that ensure the right to die, you are at the whim of the medical people who look after you.

    Also, power of attorney only works in some medical cases. It doesn't ensure the right to die if you're already physically healthy but no longer wish to live; it doesn't ensure the right to die if aren't terminally ill (in other words, it can't force doctors to neglect you while in your care so that you do die), etc.

    Palliative care, IMO, is immoral when it involves patients who don't want to suffer to the bitter end. Our health care system is way too Christian.
    I ever decide to go out? There will be lots of morphine amd/or other drugs.
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  2. #102
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,802

    Re: Right to die

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    Don't I strike you as someone who can make good choices? I can and noticed that you did not address that there are varying levels of mental illness? In a case of someone like me? Yes. I could see it going to court. You simply cannot do this to people.
    Of course there are varying degrees of mental illness. Suicidality falls under a severe form. If you are not severely mentally ill, you are not usually suicidal.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  3. #103
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: Right to die

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Of course there are varying degrees of mental illness. Suicidality falls under a severe form. If you are not severely mentally ill, you are not usually suicidal.
    Please refer to post #51 this thread. We measure "normal" peoples actions by looking at their motivation and mentally ill folks action through causality.

    Quick example
    Woman is angry. Man does not know why so he chalks it up to PMS instead of the fact that he did not fill the car up with gas. Then he finds out why she is mad and tries to save face. He says you're overeacting because of PMS.

    Being mentally Willis not a bad hair day. It is a daily struggle completing simple tasks, using a regimen of medicine that often changes andhas horrible side effects. No one can really help you as sometimes you just need someone to watch Tv with or hold your hand or to completely leave you alone. These is physical pain that comes with it. Migraines,IBS, muscle cramping from not moving around much. Eating irregularities, fear so gripping that you can't leave your bed. I'll go on with more later. Keep in mind this is all going on after you have been treated over and over. How can you say that this quality of life is good? Just because you can't, for the most,part see the illness like you see cancer does not mean it is not there. That person is sufferring as well but people assume it must be irrattional instead of based on sound reasoning.

    That is phooey if I ever saw it.

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didnít have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, Iím allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and Iíve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I donít, before you know it, you wonít let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    ďReading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.Ē
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

  4. #104
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,802

    Re: Right to die

    Quote Originally Posted by taxigirl View Post
    Please refer to post #51 this thread. We measure "normal" peoples actions by looking at their motivation and mentally ill folks action through causality.

    Quick example
    Woman is angry. Man does not know why so he chalks it up to PMS instead of the fact that he did not fill the car up with gas. Then he finds out why she is mad and tries to save face. He says you're overeacting because of PMS.

    Being mentally Willis not a bad hair day. It is a daily struggle completing simple tasks, using a regimen of medicine that often changes andhas horrible side effects. No one can really help you as sometimes you just need someone to watch Tv with or hold your hand or to completely leave you alone. These is physical pain that comes with it. Migraines,IBS, muscle cramping from not moving around much. Eating irregularities, fear so gripping that you can't leave your bed. I'll go on with more later. Keep in mind this is all going on after you have been treated over and over. How can you say that this quality of life is good? Just because you can't, for the most,part see the illness like you see cancer does not mean it is not there. That person is sufferring as well but people assume it must be irrattional instead of based on sound reasoning.

    That is phooey if I ever saw it.
    I am very well aware of everything you say. I am and have been a licensed psychotherapist for 20+ years and treat people with sucidality, DAILY. One's suffering is not irrational, but their response or reactions to their suffering may very well be.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  5. #105
    Gone

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-16-16 @ 03:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,585

    Re: Right to die

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    Thank you for this post that I am reading through the blur of tears.

    My oldest cat Chutney Occam Walligford has lymphoma. She is just fur and bones. She is still eating and jumping up to her favorite spots but I know that her time is in days now. She isn't quite ready to leave yet but she will tell me when the time comes and I will honor her request.

    I don't support suicide unless you are dying anyway. I think it's horrible that your last few days, weeks or months should be filled with pain and that anyone who helps you will be charged with a crime. However, you shouldn't be supported because of a bad hair day. It's usually obvious when quality of life drops below a certain level.
    I missed that the first time...and I just cried as well.

  6. #106
    Gone

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-16-16 @ 03:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,585

    Re: Right to die

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Do people have the right to die and take their own lives? Should healthcare professionals be allowed to aid patients in taking their lives in a painless and more dignified manner? Should we criminalize suicide or remove criminal status?

    What are you opinions on suicide/self-deliverance/right to die?
    My wife and I (a very sought after nurse for 25 yrs.) have made the agreement to "Help" each other should it become an agreed upon choice due to suffering, or loss of quality of life. I would love her just for this fact, fortunately there are thousands of other reasons as well. This is a very personal decision, and no one else need be involved...period!

  7. #107
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: Right to die

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I am very well aware of everything you say. I am and have been a licensed psychotherapist for 20+ years and treat people with sucidality, DAILY. One's suffering is not irrational, but their response or reactions to their suffering may very well be.
    f
    I am very thankful for you and others in your profession / field. There is lack of parity when it comes to mental health care and all the knowledge and dedication is needed to help.

    There is also a lack of parity in ho we think about about phyiscal vs. Mental health. If someone is crying because they receive injections everyday and they can't get out of bed or eat they are allowed compassion. When someone is crying in pain because of side affects or a general ache that wont go away they cant get out of.bed, they take 17 pills a day and that makes it so they can barely eat much less enjoy it. They have see all types of tberapists and had several medication changes over 22 years and nothing gets better.how can you say one suffering is not comparable to the oher? CC with all the compassionate care out there for sufferers of physical maladies where is the compassion for those with mental illness?
    O
    Placed in a room witth no Tv, forced I.to group theraly music and art therapy where no one asks YOU what's helps YOU. Pretty raw deal
    Then you get out and do it all over. Is this any way to live either? Why is it irrational to wa!ntto leave the world if this is how you live it?

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didnít have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, Iím allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and Iíve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I donít, before you know it, you wonít let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    ďReading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.Ē
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

  8. #108
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Right to die

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    This is the dumbest strawman ever!
    Hi Kali,
    Which part of the analogy is invalid? Smoking cigarettes is similar to killing oneself in that they are both physically harmful to the person doing it. And children are similar to the mentally ill in the sense that they are incapable of making important decisions in the eyes of the law. So if it's the "dumbest strawman ever" [sic], please explain which part of the logical chain fails.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  9. #109
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Right to die

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Do people have the right to die and take their own lives? Should healthcare professionals be allowed to aid patients in taking their lives in a painless and more dignified manner? Should we criminalize suicide or remove criminal status?

    What are you opinions on suicide/self-deliverance/right to die?
    My personal thoughts are that of course we have the right to die, but I have an ethical problem with the medical professional community administering euthanasia. If someone wants to die, they should facilitate that action themselves. I have no problem with passive measures if the person wants that, but I have serious personal issues with administering drugs in order to kill a person.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  10. #110
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Right to die

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    My personal thoughts are that of course we have the right to die, but I have an ethical problem with the medical professional community administering euthanasia. If someone wants to die, they should facilitate that action themselves. I have no problem with passive measures if the person wants that, but I have serious personal issues with administering drugs in order to kill a person.
    Why shouldn't the medical professionals help? They are the most qualified authorities on things that kill people, particularly with little to no pain. Wouldn't we rather have people who are committing suicide, particularly to end their pain, be able to do so without a) much pain, preferably none, and b) greatly reduce the chance that they will harm others in their effort to kill themselves by giving them a controlled environment in which to do it in?
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •