View Poll Results: Should there be a death penalty?

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    65 47.10%
  • No

    53 38.41%
  • Under certain circumstances, please explain

    20 14.49%
Page 78 of 82 FirstFirst ... 28687677787980 ... LastLast
Results 771 to 780 of 819

Thread: Death Penalty

  1. #771
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Lokiate View Post
    That's why we have trial by jury
    Which are not fool-proof when it comes to preventing the execution of innocents, as the evidence indicates.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  2. #772
    Educator
    Michael Johnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Unknown
    Last Seen
    04-29-15 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,042

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Lokiate View Post
    That's why we have trial by jury
    Which can be easily corrupted.

    EDIT: and a system of appeals
    Sorry but we need more than that.
    If you're not ready to die for it, put the word 'freedom' out of your vocabulary. - El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz

  3. #773
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75
    Which are not fool-proof when it comes to preventing the execution of innocents, as the evidence indicates.
    nothing in life is guaranteed. In the case of serial killers, and mass murderers (i.e. spree killers) you know when you got the right guy. Cannibals, people that mutilate the corpses of their victims, and other crazies like that are also pretty apparent. I'm all for shooting looters and rioters during a time of disaster, and executing those guilty of treason and espionage as well.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  4. #774
    Educator
    Michael Johnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Unknown
    Last Seen
    04-29-15 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,042

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Lokiate View Post
    nothing in life is guaranteed. In the case of serial killers, and mass murderers (i.e. spree killers) you know when you got the right guy. Cannibals, people that mutilate the corpses of their victims, and other crazies like that are also pretty apparent. I'm all for shooting looters and rioters during a time of disaster, and executing those guilty of treason and espionage as well.
    Spies being executed? I disagree with that since we're known for stealing information from other countries on a monthly basis. It's hypocritical to kill spies because they stole secrets that we stole from another country.
    If you're not ready to die for it, put the word 'freedom' out of your vocabulary. - El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz

  5. #775
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Johnson View Post
    Which can be easily corrupted.
    Everything can be corrupted. Psychotic killers need to die, because they will not stop until they are stopped. Whether it's bullets on-site, or via the gas chamber, it matters not to me.



    Sorry but we need more than that.

    What would that be?
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  6. #776
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Johnson View Post
    Spies being executed? I disagree with that since we're known for stealing information from other countries on a monthly basis. It's hypocritical to kill spies because they stole secrets that we stole from another country.
    Perhaps you're unfamiliar with the nature of war. Stolen secrets during a time of war mean a lot of us die. I catch a rat trying to sell my Soldiers out, I'm putting his ass down on the spot. I'd rather be judged by 12, than have my comrades carried by 6.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  7. #777
    Educator
    Michael Johnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Unknown
    Last Seen
    04-29-15 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,042

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Lokiate View Post
    Everything can be corrupted. Psychotic killers need to die, because they will not stop until they are stopped. Whether it's bullets on-site, or via the gas chamber, it matters not to me.
    Of course "everything" can be corrupted but that does not justify sending innocents to their deaths without making sure the facts are straight.

    What would that be?
    I've brainstormed a few ideas but I honestly don't know.
    If you're not ready to die for it, put the word 'freedom' out of your vocabulary. - El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz

  8. #778
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Johnson View Post
    Of course "everything" can be corrupted but that does not justify sending innocents to their deaths without making sure the facts are straight.
    Why do you think it takes 10-15 years to execute someone in most capital punishment states? It's not something that's taken lightly, nor should it be.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  9. #779
    Educator
    Michael Johnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Unknown
    Last Seen
    04-29-15 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,042

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Lokiate View Post
    Perhaps you're unfamiliar with the nature of war.
    You call this a war? This is a slaughter, started by US because the government listened to millions of blood thirsty racists and now we've wasted trillions of dollars and thousands of lives all for a few terrorists, when this could've taken less time by dispatching a couple hit teams after those guys.

    Stolen secrets during a time of war mean a lot of us die.
    So then stop stealing intelligence from other countries that does not belong to us.

    I catch a rat trying to sell my Soldiers out, I'm putting his ass down on the spot.
    Spare me the macho sociopathic rant. This type of attitude is why we're in so much deep doo-doo now.

    I'd rather be judged by 12, than have my comrades carried by 6.
    Nah.
    If you're not ready to die for it, put the word 'freedom' out of your vocabulary. - El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz

  10. #780
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Prague, Czech Rep.
    Last Seen
    10-10-12 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,880

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Johnson View Post
    Spies being executed? I disagree with that since we're known for stealing information from other countries on a monthly basis. It's hypocritical to kill spies because they stole secrets that we stole from another country.
    With your use of 'spies" I think you may be confusing espionage in general and treason. Treason is a capital punishment but hasn't been used since the Rosenbergs' in the 50s. They were American citizens and thus guilty of treason. Espionage can be committed by an agent of a foreign power and thus not treason.

Page 78 of 82 FirstFirst ... 28687677787980 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •