View Poll Results: Should there be a death penalty?

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    65 47.10%
  • No

    53 38.41%
  • Under certain circumstances, please explain

    20 14.49%
Page 77 of 82 FirstFirst ... 27677576777879 ... LastLast
Results 761 to 770 of 819

Thread: Death Penalty

  1. #761
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Prague, Czech Rep.
    Last Seen
    10-10-12 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,880

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Mensch View Post
    Simply wearing a uniform and fighting in battle doesn't automatically make you patriotic, IMHO.
    It's a hell of a lot better than self-righteously pounding on a keyboard about the evils of the system your fellow compatriots have chosen.

  2. #762
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
    It's a hell of a lot better than self-righteously pounding on a keyboard about the evils of the system your fellow compatriots have chosen.
    Perhaps I'm misreading you.

    Am I the one self-righteously pounding on a keyboard about the evils of the system my fellow compatriots have chosen?

    If so, then I disagree. I am not acting self-righteous, but rather standing up for ideals upon which this country was founded. The draconian stop-and-execute proposal pushed forward by Jerry and others is about as evil as any third world dictatorship.

    As for wearing the uniform and fighting a battle, my point still stands. If you still disagree, think of Benedict Arnold. Though I am not trying to equate Jerry to B. Arnold, it is evidence alone to prove that wearing a uniform and going into battle is not sufficient enough to be pro-American. Otherwise, you would have to consider Arnold and the thousands of deserters to be patriotic as well.

    The bottom line is that Jerry is simultaneously fighting for this country over there while fighting against the basic foundation over here.

  3. #763
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Prague, Czech Rep.
    Last Seen
    10-10-12 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,880

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Mensch View Post
    Perhaps I'm misreading you.

    Am I the one self-righteously pounding on a keyboard about the evils of the system my fellow compatriots have chosen?

    If so, then I disagree. I am not acting self-righteous, but rather standing up for ideals upon which this country was founded. The draconian stop-and-execute proposal pushed forward by Jerry and others is about as evil as any third world dictatorship.

    As for wearing the uniform and fighting a battle, my point still stands. If you still disagree, think of Benedict Arnold. Though I am not trying to equate Jerry to B. Arnold, it is evidence alone to prove that wearing a uniform and going into battle is not sufficient enough to be pro-American. Otherwise, you would have to consider Arnold and the thousands of deserters to be patriotic as well.

    The bottom line is that Jerry is simultaneously fighting for this country over there while fighting against the basic foundation over here.
    Please, stop with the Benedict Arnold bit, that's bush league. I've little doubt that you see yourself at the vanguard of American patriotism for highly convoluted reasons, but the only thing that comes through here is that you're equating your own moral code as patriotic while questioning the patriotism of those who serve and fight. It is a thoroughly unconvincing argument.

    Having said that, I do not agree with Jerry nor do I think he was serious though I could be wrong. Still, I find your argument to be self-righteous in that our constitution does not prohibit capital punishment, unlike those which are part and parcel of Western European constitutions. You are not at liberty to interpret the constitution for the rest of us who chose to support the ultimate penalty for horrendous crimes.

  4. #764
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
    Please, stop with the Benedict Arnold bit, that's bush league. I've little doubt that you see yourself at the vanguard of American patriotism for highly convoluted reasons, but the only thing that comes through here is that you're equating your own moral code as patriotic while questioning the patriotism of those who serve and fight. It is a thoroughly unconvincing argument.
    It is simply not. Again, serving your country in an armed conflict is not sufficient by itself to be considered patriotism. Nor does it automatically put those who serve above the rest of the citizenry in terms of national loyalty. If you serve and, in addition to serving, you also remain true to the ideals of this country, then you are undoutably patriotic. But yet those who serve and later turn against this country are not patriotic. Benedict Arnold is the perfect example, as are the thousands of deserters. Also, Jerry went against the fundamental ideals of this country laid out in the founding documents. That means he is ideologically opposed to this country's moral foundation. That is not exactly patriotic, in my book. Maybe you give him a pass for wearing the uniform. But I don't.

    Having said that, I do not agree with Jerry nor do I think he was serious though I could be wrong. Still, I find your argument to be self-righteous in that our constitution does not prohibit capital punishment, unlike those which are part and parcel of Western European constitutions. You are not at liberty to interpret the constitution for the rest of us who chose to support the ultimate penalty for horrendous crimes.
    Ask him yourself. I don't think he was joking.

    First of all, there is a solid constitutional argument against the death penalty, but that was not my point. If you read Jerry's statement before you decided to bash me for denouncing his patriotism, you would see that he wants to execute drunk drivers on the spot. That is ABSOLUTELY anti-constitution and anti-American.

  5. #765
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Mensch View Post
    Perhaps I'm misreading you.

    Am I the one self-righteously pounding on a keyboard about the evils of the system my fellow compatriots have chosen?

    If so, then I disagree. I am not acting self-righteous, but rather standing up for ideals upon which this country was founded. The draconian stop-and-execute proposal pushed forward by Jerry and others is about as evil as any third world dictatorship.

    As for wearing the uniform and fighting a battle, my point still stands. If you still disagree, think of Benedict Arnold. Though I am not trying to equate Jerry to B. Arnold, it is evidence alone to prove that wearing a uniform and going into battle is not sufficient enough to be pro-American. Otherwise, you would have to consider Arnold and the thousands of deserters to be patriotic as well.

    The bottom line is that Jerry is simultaneously fighting for this country over there while fighting against the basic foundation over here.
    I made 1 post in an online discussion forums, and to you that constitutes an all-out campaign.

    People word their posts so as to vent a lot of the time. Don't take everything you read at face value. Criminals get away with a lot of crap and our system is very inefficient.

    So calm down bro. Take a breath.

  6. #766
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I made 1 post in an online discussion forums, and to you that constitutes an all-out campaign.

    People word their posts so as to vent a lot of the time. Don't take everything you read at face value. Criminals get away with a lot of crap and our system is very inefficient.

    So calm down bro. Take a breath.
    In a online discussion forum, as with text messaging, subtle jokes are sometimes hard to catch. From the first-hand reading your original post, it sounded like you were serious about executing drunk drivers at the scene without a trial. Personally, I don't find it funny if it was a joke. I am able to laugh at a dark side of humor, but not something along those lines.

    If you're willing to retract your statement, I'm willing to retract mine. But as long as those sentiments are retained, you cannot be considered a friend to the U.S. constitution and by extension, the USofA.

  7. #767
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Mensch View Post
    In a online discussion forum, as with text messaging, subtle jokes are sometimes hard to catch. From the first-hand reading your original post, it sounded like you were serious about executing drunk drivers at the scene without a trial. Personally, I don't find it funny if it was a joke. I am able to laugh at a dark side of humor, but not something along those lines.

    If you're willing to retract your statement, I'm willing to retract mine. But as long as those sentiments are retained, you cannot be considered a friend to the U.S. constitution and by extension, the USofA.
    DebatePolitics.com only allows members in my 'permission group' 25 minutes to edit/delete a post, so my statement will remain posted forever. Besides, that is still how I feel about it, so there's no reason why I would 'retract' anything unless you want me to lie. The truth is, if you drive drunk, you're a piece of **** who needs to be put down. Public policy will never reflect that, but that's how I feel about it regardless. That's not meant to be a 'joke', I'm not looking4lulz, that's my view on the subject. I have no love for drunk drivers.

    I do believe the law should be changed to make the firing squad the preferred form of execution. It's humane, cheap, and far less controversy around the method itself (leaving only the controversy regarding execution per-se).

  8. #768
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by cthomp View Post
    What do you think of the death penalty.
    I'm all for it during extenuating circumstances. Mass murderers, serial killers, and perpetrators of crimes that are extremely heinous in nature.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  9. #769
    Educator
    Michael Johnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Unknown
    Last Seen
    04-29-15 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,042

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Lokiate View Post
    I'm all for it during extenuating circumstances. Mass murderers, serial killers, and perpetrators of crimes that are extremely heinous in nature.
    And we have to be absolutely sure the convicted is not an innocent person sent to death.
    If you're not ready to die for it, put the word 'freedom' out of your vocabulary. - El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz

  10. #770
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Death Penalty

    That's why we have trial by jury

    EDIT: and a system of appeals
    Last edited by Surtr; 04-03-12 at 01:52 AM.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

Page 77 of 82 FirstFirst ... 27677576777879 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •