View Poll Results: Should there be a death penalty?

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    65 47.10%
  • No

    53 38.41%
  • Under certain circumstances, please explain

    20 14.49%
Page 69 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast
Results 681 to 690 of 819

Thread: Death Penalty

  1. #681
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    35,840
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Mensch View Post
    Fine. But if you did torture, you would hold the same level of honor as the perp.
    Well this is just subjective. For me avenging my nieces would be far more honorable than letting the guy go.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mensch View Post
    It tells a fact. A fact that, if not extinguishing, definitely hurts your argument.
    It does neither. If you have the schematic to make half a computer then by the time you are done using that schematic you still don't have a fully functioning computer. As such it could be considered as not even being a computer. Especially since the other half of the schematic that you don't have could change the function of something in the part of the schematic that you do have.

    Or put another way if you walk into a room where someone is kneeling over a dead body and they have blood on them does that automatically make them the killer? Or is it possible that the person just found the dead person and had tried to keep them alive or revive them instead? When you only have half the information it is easy to assume that the person is the killer and not the failed savior.

    In otherwords an incomplete fact is not a fact at all...but a theory at best.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mensch View Post
    You cannot prove a negative. You can't just claim it is a deterrent and let that statement stand on its own. You have to back it up. And if you can't, then you shouldn't bring it up.
    Nor can you prove a positive with only half the information. As such you can't just claim that it isn't a deterrent.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  2. #682
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    If they victim lives then they feel a hell of a lot safer for one. They also feel a sense of justice being done. Psycologically that makes it far better for the victim. And the same applies if the victim is dead only it applies to the family of the victim.

    But its not just about the victim or their family. It is also about society as a whole being made safer. If you put a killer in prison then they will have an opportunity to kill again. Be it a guard, another inmate, or by being able to escape and kill someone else outside of prison.
    Study, after study, after study show that the DP is not a deterrent. Not just in the US but elsewhere as well.

    The family of the victim needs closure not retribution / revenge, they need someone to help heal them and the very limited funds we have that go to victims rights and victim family organizations can't do much. Why doesn't the state spend more time helping the victims instead of seeking retribution?

    Anybody you put in prison can commit a murder. There is a prison culture that leads to more violence, that is their society. It is too bad, but that is what we have created in this country and it does not have to be so.

    As for you repeatedly mentioning your time in jail it is making me begin to think that you wear it as a badge. You know no more of solitary confinement and endless years in prison than we do. Were you in jail as you said or prison?

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didnít have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, Iím allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and Iíve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I donít, before you know it, you wonít let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    ďReading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.Ē
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

  3. #683
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:59 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    67,665

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by taxigirl View Post
    Ok then, so how does the death penalty makes things better?
    That is your qualification. Making things better. I could argue that it does, though that is not my argument. It shows that we uphold life as the most important and it removes an enemy of society and that can be argued as better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I'm sexist and hypocritical, lol:

  4. #684
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    You put in bold the wrong part... without restriction is the pertinent part. They are restricted within the bounds of the law. The Judge cannot put somebody to death that has not been brought up on the correct charges and without having the DA seeking the DP. It isn't arbitrary.
    Mensch is using the correct legal terminology (legalese). Arbitrariness in a legal judgement is a decision made at the discretion of the judge, not one that is fixed by law. When the death penalty is a possibility, the judge decides yes or no, when it comes to sentencing the judge decides yes or no.

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didnít have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, Iím allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and Iíve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I donít, before you know it, you wonít let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    ďReading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.Ē
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

  5. #685
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    35,840
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Mensch View Post
    When you're sentenced to death, it is because a judge (individual) made that sentence. The appeals do not serve to justify the severity of the punishment, but rather to ensure the law was carried out in a just and righteous manner.
    The judge does not make the sentence. They must follow the guidelines set forth by society.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  6. #686
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    35,840
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Mensch View Post
    ar∑bi∑trar∑y   [ahr-bi-trer-ee] Show IPA adjective, noun, plural -trar∑ies.
    adjective
    1.
    subject to individual will or judgment without restriction; contingent solely upon one's discretion: an arbitrary decision.

    Granted, there are cases where the maximum penalty would prohibit a death sentence. But in the majority of cases, the final decision is left completely up to the judge.
    Bolding the part that supports your statements and yet ignoring the part that doesn't does not help your case in the slightest. The words "without restriction; contingent solely upon one's discretion" cannot be applied to a judge for the simple fact that they are constrained in what sentences they must mete out.

    If you're going to use a definition then you must apply all of it that is relevent. And the part that you did not bold is certainly relevent.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  7. #687
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    That is your qualification. Making things better. I could argue that it does, though that is not my argument. It shows that we uphold life as the most important and it removes an enemy of society and that can be argued as better.
    "we uphold life as the most important"
    but, we also make elaborate plans to take away life we deem not important

    hypocrisy

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didnít have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, Iím allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and Iíve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I donít, before you know it, you wonít let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    ďReading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.Ē
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

  8. #688
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:59 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    67,665

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by taxigirl View Post
    The police do decide. They assess a situation, collect evidence and make recommendations to the DA. If they want they can move slow, ignore evidence, work sloppily etc... thereby leaving the arrest up to their discretion. Unfortunately if the victim is a prostitute the reality is that it is not pursued as mightily as if it were a pretty blonde college student.

    Every step of the way there is some justification that can come out of someones mouth to lean one way or the other on the issue.
    The police DO NOT DECIDE. They can NOT arrest a person that is not guilty of a crime. If they purposely move slow or ignore evidence then the police are guilty of a crime. The DA can have the suspect arrested even if the police don't think that they have the evidence needed. That is how the law works. I don't care how you try to manipulate the facts... you are wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I'm sexist and hypocritical, lol:

  9. #689
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 11:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I don't think that it has anything to do with making me feel better... it has to do with facing a consequence to their action and upholding the value of human life. Hopefully one day we will evolve to the point were people aren't petty and don't hurt others.
    LWOP is not a consequence?
    ĒPeople willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.Ē --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  10. #690
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: Death Penalty

    Really? Can we move on.

    Mensch is using the correct legal terminology (legalese). Arbitrariness in a legal judgement is a decision made at the discretion of the judge, not one that is fixed by law. When the death penalty is a possibility, the judge decides yes or no, when it comes to sentencing the judge decides yes or no.

    Arbitrariness is a LEGAL notion. Yes it has other meanings, but it is a LEGAL term for a specific set of circumstances where there is wiggle room, we'll call it, for personal opinion to interfere in the legal process. This is undeniable in DP cases. How many more sources would you like besides the ones I have provided?

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didnít have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, Iím allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and Iíve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I donít, before you know it, you wonít let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    ďReading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.Ē
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

Page 69 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •