View Poll Results: Should there be a death penalty?

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    65 47.10%
  • No

    53 38.41%
  • Under certain circumstances, please explain

    20 14.49%
Page 52 of 82 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
Results 511 to 520 of 819

Thread: Death Penalty

  1. #511
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Mensch View Post
    Where does the UDHR make exceptions? You should read the work of Benjamin Rush on this issue.
    "In countries which have not abolished the death penalty, sentence of death may be imposed only for the most serious crimes in accordance with the law in force at the time of the commission of the crime and not contrary to the provisions of the present Covenant and to the Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide. This penalty can only be carried out pursuant to a final judgment rendered by a competent court."

    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...arddPtKpSO_Tmw This is a pretty informative paper on the issue.

    Neither is the United States. That doesn't justify what they do to their citizens or what we do to ours. Despite the strict literal definition, it is still murder in my mind. A government's decree doesn't justify the wrongful killing of another. Killing is only justified in self-defense.
    I'm afraid you are wrong. The US is a signatory.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  2. #512
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Mensch View Post
    Great! You win! According to your stubborn logic, the Nazis did not murder people in concentration camps. See how many people in the world accept that assertion.
    We've been over this. It was concluded that their actions were war crimes. Illegal under international law.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  3. #513
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    We've been over this. It was concluded that their actions were war crimes. Illegal under international law.
    As you might recall, official war crime conventions did not exist prior to Nuremberg. If we take your stubborn literal adherence to laws and their meaning, it was perfectly legal at the time it was being committed. In fact, that was the main argument pushed forward by the defendants at Nuremberg.

  4. #514
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Mensch View Post
    Read the constitution. Even the convicted have rights.
    I have a flash for you. The death penalty is legal in the USA..........I notice you did not respond to my comparison of abortion and the death penalty...You lefties never do....cat got your tongue?
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  5. #515
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    "In countries which have not abolished the death penalty, sentence of death may be imposed only for the most serious crimes in accordance with the law in force at the time of the commission of the crime and not contrary to the provisions of the present Covenant and to the Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide. This penalty can only be carried out pursuant to a final judgment rendered by a competent court."

    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...arddPtKpSO_Tmw This is a pretty informative paper on the issue.
    That is not the UDHR.


    I'm afraid you are wrong. The US is a signatory.
    You're right. I was mistaken on that account.

  6. #516
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    I have a flash for you. The death penalty is legal in the USA..........I notice you did not respond to my comparison of abortion and the death penalty...You lefties never do....cat got your tongue?
    I did. In fact, I responded DIRECTLY to it. Simply read my response.

    The fact that the death penalty is legal in this country does not make it right. And if it did, perhaps you should refrain from bringing up abortion.

  7. #517
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,552

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    I have a flash for you. The death penalty is legal in the USA..........I notice you did not respond to my comparison of abortion and the death penalty...You lefties never do....cat got your tongue?
    The death penalty is legal in the USA? Really? In every state in the union?

  8. #518
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Mensch View Post
    I did. In fact, I responded DIRECTLY to it. Simply read my response.

    The fact that the death penalty is legal in this country does not make it right. And if it did, perhaps you should refrain from bringing up abortion.
    That is your opinion and you know what that is worth.......Why is that? Because you have no answer when your kind murder in the womb?
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  9. #519
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    The death penalty is legal in the USA? Really? In every state in the union?

    Not in some states but there is a federal law authorizing the death penalty
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  10. #520
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    The death penalty is legal in the USA? Really? In every state in the union?
    So tell me something........How do you feel about abortion? Please be consistent If you don't want to execute mass murderers and such then you shouldnot want to kill innocent babies in the womb.
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

Page 52 of 82 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •