View Poll Results: Should there be a death penalty?

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    65 47.10%
  • No

    53 38.41%
  • Under certain circumstances, please explain

    20 14.49%
Page 44 of 82 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast
Results 431 to 440 of 819

Thread: Death Penalty

  1. #431
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Death Penalty

    "Absolutely not, if there is no threat to my life or someone else's." - mac

    How do you discern the threat?

    If thugs are walking out of your house with furniture and whatnot, do you call 911 and wait for them to come before you're possibly killed, or do you raise your gun and order them to desist?

    Furthermore I'd imagine there'd be heightened emotions on account of being robbed, making it easier to shoot the people breaking into your house and stealing everything you have.

  2. #432
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:16 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,062

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by taxigirl View Post
    This is the last I will even respond to you in this thread unless you have valid arguments and stick to the issue at hand


    What you claim to be undeniable is not indeed fact.
    human being
    noun
    1. any individual of the genus Homo, especially a member of the species Homo sapiens.
    2. a person, especially as distinguished from other animals or as representing the human species: living conditions not fit for human beings; a very generous human being.


    Human being | Define Human being at Dictionary.com

    life
    /laɪf/ Show Spelled [lahyf] Show IPA noun, plural lives  /laɪvz/ Show Spelled[lahyvz] Show IPA, adjective
    noun
    1. the condition that distinguishes organisms from inorganic objects and dead organisms, being manifested by growth through metabolism, reproduction, and the power of adaptation to environment through changes originating internally.


    Life | Define Life at Dictionary.com

    I always laugh when I see comments like yours. It is a life. Fact. It is of the species Homo Sapian and we call that human. Fact. It is a human life.

    And before you get too confused once the sperm meets the egg the human life is indeed an individual life form up for person status just as conjoined twins are considered individual persons. You want valid arguments and make pathetic threats yet you just responded with essentially nothing more than a "nu-huh" rebuttal. Well done.

    As I said: Self defense: You are preventing your life from being taken. Should you allow yourself to be killed? either way it is wrong. I guess you should just look at this as a toss-up if you do not get it.
    I get it when people communicate clearly. You aren't. It sounds like you are saying that killing a person trying to kill you is wrong but to let them kill you is also wrong. Well, if it is between the two wrongs in your world then I would choose to be wrong yet alive.

    I assume you are capable of googling. search ethics death penalty and then talk to me.
    Ethics...

    explains the rightness of actions in terms of the goodness of the state of affairs that occurs because of that action. If some action genuinely brings about greater good in the world, then it is a right action, and this rightness is independent of the nature of the action or the intentions of the person carrying out the action.

    Deontological ethics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Again, every rogue who criminously attacks social rights becomes, by his wrong, a rebel and a traitor to his fatherland. By contravening its laws, he ceases to be one of its citizens: he even wages war against it. In such circumstances, the State and he cannot both be saved: one or the other must perish. In killing the criminal, we destroy not so much a citizen as an enemy. The trial and judgements are proofs that he has broken the Social Contract, and so is no longer a member of the State.

    In J.J. Rousseau's The Social Contract written in 1762

    Rousseau: Social Contract

    "He who strikes a man so that he dies shall surely be put to death." -Exodus 21:12

    Pro-death penalty.com

    These are two of the biggest arguments FOR the death penalty.
    The Death Penalty is a consequence. End of story. Those that commit murder and rape and such forfeit their lives as a matter of fact, not as an emotional vengeance or anything else, their life is not worth anything, so it is ended. Done.

    Seeing as you keep skirting around abortion and "life" and you are not well versed on the controversies surrounding the DP, I am guessing you came into this thread looking to catch someone in a slip up in their logic regarding killing so you can make some twisted attempt at convincing someone that abortion is murder. As I have stated: This is a thread about the DP. I am a strong believer in choice. I am also on the fence regarding the "beginning" of life. If you want to debate abortion, go to that thread. If you want to try to persuade me to your way of thinking regarding the "beginning" of life, come up with some argument as to why I should talk to you about it, PM me and then I will join you in a discussion. Get that through your head. I will not debate pro-life / pro-choice issues in a DP thread, they are independent issues with widely different consequences.
    They are not independent issues... they are linked since you made a universal statement about "killing is wrong". We are trying to find out if you really think that by bringing up relevant analogies regarding when human life is taken. The fact that you don't think that a developing human is a human life is astounding. Hell, I am pro-choice and can accept that. To then hear you turn around and accuse me of not being well versed... well, that is comical.

    I have had MANY debates here about the DP and have started many of my own threads. So far you are nothing more than a side-show presenting very basic concepts that are wonderful examples of sophism. I have presented you with some substance here. Let's see what you can do with it.
    Last edited by Bodhisattva; 03-14-12 at 05:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  3. #433
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    I agree, up to and not including taking a life.
    I was referring to the state taking life. Your devious statement infers an agenda that would infringe upon the rights of others to do what they wish with their own bodies.

    Your beliefs should end at my doorstep.

  4. #434
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:16 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,062

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    so you don't believe that you have the right to shoot someone who is trying to rob your house or steal your stuff?
    Outside Texas I doubt the law does either... In fact, it doesn't. There are numerous cases where a homeowner shoots a robber and gets cahrged since their life was not in jeopardy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  5. #435
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:16 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,062

    Re: Death Penalty

    Taxigirl - I apologize in advance for the "side show" comment. It was rude. It won't let me edit my post for some reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  6. #436
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    so you don't believe that you have the right to shoot someone who is trying to rob your house or steal your stuff?
    Other responses I have seen to this question are wrong. There is something called "The Castle Doctrine" and many states have been influenced by it. It is quite interesting, you may want to take a read.
    Castle doctrine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    A Castle Doctrine (also known as a Castle Law or a Defense of Habitation Law) is an American legal doctrine that designates a person's abode (or, in some states, any place legally occupied, such as a car or place of work) as a place in which the person has certain protections and immunities and may in certain circumstances attack an intruder without becoming liable to prosecution.[1] Typically deadly force is considered justified, and a defense of justifiable homicide applicable, in cases "when the actor reasonably fears imminent peril of death or serious bodily harm to himself or another".[1] The doctrine is not a defined law that can be invoked, but a set of principles which is incorporated in some form in the law of most states.

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didn’t have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, I’m allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and I’ve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I don’t, before you know it, you won’t let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    “Reading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.”
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

  7. #437
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:16 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,062

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by taxigirl View Post
    Other responses I have seen to this question are wrong. There is something called "The Castle Doctrine" and many states have been influenced by it. It is quite interesting, you may want to take a read.
    Castle doctrine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    There are qualifications to that though as evidenced in the following:

    Sec. 7-2. Use of force in defense of dwelling.
    (a) A person is justified in the use of force against another when and to the extent that he reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to prevent or terminate such other's unlawful entry into or attack upon a dwelling. However, he is justified in the use of force which is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm only if:
    (1) The entry is made or attempted in a violent,
    riotous, or tumultuous manner, and he reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent an assault upon, or offer of personal violence to, him or another then in the dwelling, or

    (2) He reasonably believes that such force is
    necessary to prevent the commission of a felony in the dwelling.


    720*ILCS*5/*Criminal Code of 1961.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  8. #438
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Death Penalty

    Specific from the Texas penal code:

    PROTECTION OF ONE'S OWN PROPERTY.
    (a) A person in lawful possession of land or tangible, movable property is justified in using force against another when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to prevent or terminate the other's trespass on the land or unlawful interference with the property.

    (b) A person unlawfully dispossessed of land or tangible, movable property by another is justified in using force against the other when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to reenter the land or recover the property if the actor uses the force immediately or in fresh pursuit after the dispossession and:

    (1) the actor reasonably believes the other had no
    claim of right when he dispossessed the actor; or
    (2) the other accomplished the dispossession by using
    force, threat, or fraud against the actor.

    DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:

    (1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and

    (2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:
    (A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of
    arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the
    nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or

    (B) to prevent the other who is fleeing
    immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated
    robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the
    property; and

    (3) he reasonably believes that:
    (A) the land or property cannot be protected or
    recovered by any other means; or
    (B) the use of force other than deadly force to
    protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or
    another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  9. #439
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    "Absolutely not, if there is no threat to my life or someone else's." - mac

    How do you discern the threat?

    If thugs are walking out of your house with furniture and whatnot, do you call 911 and wait for them to come before you're possibly killed, or do you raise your gun and order them to desist?

    Furthermore I'd imagine there'd be heightened emotions on account of being robbed, making it easier to shoot the people breaking into your house and stealing everything you have.
    If someone is brandishing a weapon or making threatening gestures/comments implying impending violence then there is a threat. If his back is turned because he's carrying your tv out the door, there is no threat.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  10. #440
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Mensch View Post
    I was referring to the state taking life. Your devious statement infers an agenda that would infringe upon the rights of others to do what they wish with their own bodies.

    Your beliefs should end at my doorstep.
    I was referring to the state and to the death penalty.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

Page 44 of 82 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •