View Poll Results: Should there be a death penalty?

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    65 47.10%
  • No

    53 38.41%
  • Under certain circumstances, please explain

    20 14.49%
Page 38 of 82 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 819

Thread: Death Penalty

  1. #371
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by taxigirl View Post
    I never said anything about "human". The arguments about abortion have to prove a fetus is a "person" as defined under the Constitution to gain protection.
    You said "taking a life is wrong". I'm not trying to make the thread about abortion, but taking a life is still killing, whether or not we're talking about a fetal life or a murderer's life.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  2. #372
    User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    A Pale Blue Dot
    Last Seen
    07-08-12 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    107

    Re: Death Penalty

    First, not all killing is wrong. War is an obvious exception. To answer the question of when is killing wrong, you need to first answer why killing is wrong.

    Second, I cannot support the death penalty for several reasons, including.

    a. Absolute proof is rare and, in any event, is not the legal standard used. Juries often misinterpret scientific data. Eye witness testimony is often unreliable. Therefore, the law allows for "reasonable" doubt but how do you counteract a series of horrific photos shown to a jury.

    b. We need appeals before the state kills someone and that is more expensive than incarceration.

    c. Incarceration is probably more of a punishment than death. Super-max facilities keep you safe but you get out of your cell 1 hour a day. Other prisons are lord of the flies on steroids.

    d. Incarceration allows for after-trial evidence to exonerate. We are having a spate of DNA cases resulting in releases. What will be the next scientific breakthrough which shows that thousands have been falsely incarcerated or killed? Science will continue to develop forensic tools.

  3. #373
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Death Penalty

    murder is wrong.

    killing in war, in self-defense, by accident, is not wrong.

    killing as part of the judicial process, in some cases...also isn't wrong.

    side note: God says in the Bible "Thou shalt not MURDER". not "kill".

  4. #374
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    You said "taking a life is wrong". I'm not trying to make the thread about abortion, but taking a life is still killing, whether or not we're talking about a fetal life or a murderer's life.
    Yes, that is what i have been saying. killing is wrong. our disagreement is about the definition of life, which is another thread.

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didnít have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, Iím allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and Iíve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I donít, before you know it, you wonít let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    ďReading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.Ē
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

  5. #375
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    It is simply a "consequence" for actions deemed to deserve it and it has nothing to do with revenge. It also has great value for society... it removes an individual that has shown a blatant disregard for fellow humans and their fights.

    The reason people keep bringing up abortion, and now I will bring up self defence, is because it shows your position to be inconsistent.
    No. My argument is not inconsistent. The abortion issue, in relation to my statements that killing is wrong, centers on when life begins. If there is no life there can be no taking of of life (killing).

    Self defense: You are preventing your life from being taken. Should you allow yourself to be killed? either way it is wrong.

    Please tell me how the DP is not revenge. Punishments in our penal system are meant to protect the public, rehabilitate, give closure to victims and act as deterrents. There is substantial research which proves that the DP does not act as a deterrent, it acts to protect the public as much as life in prison. Closure for victims just simply does not occur. It is either not enough or too much and it can never bring back the victim of the condemned.

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didnít have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, Iím allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and Iíve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I donít, before you know it, you wonít let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    ďReading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.Ē
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

  6. #376
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    murder is wrong.

    killing in war, in self-defense, by accident, is not wrong.

    killing as part of the judicial process, in some cases...also isn't wrong.

    side note: God says in the Bible "Thou shalt not MURDER". not "kill".
    There appears to be several translation differences.

    Multiple translations exist of the fifth/sixth commandment; the Hebrew words לא תרצח (lo tirtzach) are variously translated as "thou shalt not kill" or "thou shalt not murder".[49]

    The imperative is against unlawful killing resulting in bloodguilt.[50] The Hebrew Bible contains numerous prohibitions against unlawful killing, but also allows for justified killing in the context of warfare (1Kings 2:5–6), capital punishment (Leviticus 20:9–16) and self-defence (Exodus 22:2–3). The New Testament is in agreement that murder is a grave moral evil,[51] and maintains the Old Testament view of bloodguilt.[5
    Ten Commandments - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    The fact that I do not take the bible to be the word of a deity makes this argument irrelevant to me in the first place. For me the bible is a set of stories that can have moral implications and give comfort as well as scare the crap out of you if you believe it. It has some very interesting notions and the problem with using arguments from the bible to justify societal norms lies in interpretation, not the literal.

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didnít have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, Iím allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and Iíve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I donít, before you know it, you wonít let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    ďReading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.Ē
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

  7. #377
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    It is a human organism, it is growing and developing. It is most certainly alive.

    I'm addressing a statement you made. You are hardly consistent in saying "killing is always wrong." and then endorse killing for other reasons.
    this thread is about killing people.

    not 3-day old zygotes.

  8. #378
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    this thread is about killing people.

    not 3-day old zygotes.
    Thank you.

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didnít have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, Iím allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and Iíve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I donít, before you know it, you wonít let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    ďReading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.Ē
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

  9. #379
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,020

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by taxigirl View Post
    No. My argument is not inconsistent. The abortion issue, in relation to my statements that killing is wrong, centers on when life begins. If there is no life there can be no taking of of life (killing).
    Human life begins at conception. This is scientifically undeniable.

    Self defense: You are preventing your life from being taken. Should you allow yourself to be killed? either way it is wrong.
    It is wrong to kill the person that is attempting to kill you if that is your only means of living? Is that what you are saying?

    Please tell me how the DP is not revenge.
    Ethics.

    Punishments in our penal system are meant to protect the public, rehabilitate, give closure to victims and act as deterrents. There is substantial research which proves that the DP does not act as a deterrent, it acts to protect the public as much as life in prison. Closure for victims just simply does not occur. It is either not enough or too much and it can never bring back the victim of the condemned
    The DP is not about giving closure or acting as a deterrent. At least it shouldn't be in any common sense view of the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  10. #380
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Human life begins at conception. This is scientifically undeniable.
    What you claim to be undeniable is not indeed fact.


    It is wrong to kill the person that is attempting to kill you if that is your only means of living? Is that what you are saying?
    As I said: Self defense: You are preventing your life from being taken. Should you allow yourself to be killed? either way it is wrong. I guess you should just look at this as a toss-up if you do not get it.


    Ethics.
    I assume you are capable of googling. search ethics death penalty and then talk to me.


    The DP is not about giving closure or acting as a deterrent. At least it shouldn't be in any common sense view of the issue.
    These are two of the biggest arguments FOR the death penalty.


    Seeing as you keep skirting around abortion and "life" and you are not well versed on the controversies surrounding the DP, I am guessing you came into this thread looking to catch someone in a slip up in their logic regarding killing so you can make some twisted attempt at convincing someone that abortion is murder. As I have stated: This is a thread about the DP. I am a strong believer in choice. I am also on the fence regarding the "beginning" of life. If you want to debate abortion, go to that thread. If you want to try to persuade me to your way of thinking regarding the "beginning" of life, come up with some argument as to why I should talk to you about it, PM me and then I will join you in a discussion. Get that through your head. I will not debate pro-life / pro-choice issues in a DP thread, they are independent issues with widely different consequences.

    This is the last I will even respond to you in this thread unless you have valid arguments and stick to the issue at hand.

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didnít have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, Iím allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and Iíve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I donít, before you know it, you wonít let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    ďReading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.Ē
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

Page 38 of 82 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •