View Poll Results: Should there be a death penalty?

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    65 47.10%
  • No

    53 38.41%
  • Under certain circumstances, please explain

    20 14.49%
Page 36 of 82 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 819

Thread: Death Penalty

  1. #351
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenvilleGrows View Post
    Your premise is wrong. If my child misbehaves, and I punish them, am I seeking revenge? No. In that case, I am seeking to deter my child from future poor choices. Punishment can be adequately metered out without an ounce of revenge being present. In fact, inadequate punishment, in the same case, would not be merciful - if the punishment failed to teach about justice and and/or to deter from future poor choices, the child could suffer a much worse fate later on - my lack of punishment would actually be cruelty and/or a lack of care.

    Justice is establishing a rule with some level of measured punishment for breaking the rule. Cheat? - punishment measured by loss of opportunity for the test or class or the harm done to the institution. Steal? - punishment measured by value of item and harm to society for such actions.

    How else can the value of taking a life be adequately measured except with life?

    The Bible very clearly teaches about love and mercy, yes. But it is equally clear about justice. It's the very premise of the need for Christ's sacrifice. The God of the Old Testament and the God of the New Testament are the same.
    I'm not real clear here if you are anti or pro DP. By looking at the post you are responding to I would say you are pro.
    If the bible and the tenets of your belief which the bible organizes are your only (and I include your interpretation of justice within that) justification for the murder of another human being, I only have one thing to say and I will keep saying until someone gets it because killing is wrong, killing is bad. My one thing is this:

    THE BIBLE IS NOT A WEAPON
    Last edited by taxigirl; 03-11-12 at 03:56 PM.

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didn’t have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, I’m allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and I’ve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I don’t, before you know it, you won’t let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    “Reading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.”
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

  2. #352
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    Our conservatives also write the laws, but, this too is public info...
    Now we have a President, Barak "Change" Obama and he is discovering that change is anathema to conservatives....and to many so called liberals.
    Note that the more socially advanced states have no death penalty.
    In other states, vengeance rules the day..
    Would you believe, a trillion dollars was spent to execute Osama bin Laden......
    Do me a favor bro. You want to debate me? That's fine. But don't put your words into my post in bold red. It looks like I said it. I don't want someone to mistake your incoherent words as mine.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  3. #353
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    03-12-12 @ 05:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2

    Re: Death Penalty

    If the person or people are 100% guilty of Murder or rape then yes they deserve to die.

  4. #354
    User John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    02-16-13 @ 09:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    72

    Re: Death Penalty

    The Death Penalty;

    I believe that it needs to be altered in such a way as to conform to this precept:

    The whole point of prisons, fines and sentences is to discourage and rehabilitate those who break the respective law. The death sentence however by itself is not rehabilitative, and of slight discouragement value. Therefore should the death penalty be removed from options a judge can offer and left to a board of review in the prison system. This board would determine the actual issuance of the death sentence based on certain criteria; such as. Will the individual ever leave prison within their reasonable lifetime? Has the individual committed crimes or acted in such a way as to believe that he is beyond rehabilitation? Does the individual exert a negative influence on fellow inmates whom are attempting to reform?

    In short; the death sentence should be utilized to remove individuals from prison that in effect "take up space" and will never contribute again; and the BS about contributing from prison does not apply.

    In many ways this is an act of mercy. We will not allow the individual out, and it is cruel to leave him in a cell which we all know he would never leave. Those who claim that he should stay there to "suffer" are bringing the wrong element to what prisons stand for. Should it be unpleasant, yes. Uncomfortable, certainly. Cruel, NO. Torturous, NO. Rehabilitative, yes.

  5. #355
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: Death Penalty

    This is just weird.

    Does this woman deserve the death penalty? Is she a threat to others? I don't even really understand what happened.

    Prosecutors seek death penalty in killing of Alabama third-grader - CNN.com

    -- Alabama prosecutors will seek the death penalty against a grandmother who authorities say forced her granddaughter to run as punishment for eating chocolate, an official said Tuesday.

    Joyce Garrard, 46, is facing a capital murder charge in her granddaughter's death, said Heather Rickles, a spokeswoman for the District Attorney's Office in Etowah County, Alabama.

    Authorities say Savannah Hardin died last month after her grandmother and stepmother forced her to run around the family's house for three hours as punishment for lying about taking a chocolate candy bar.

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didn’t have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, I’m allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and I’ve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I don’t, before you know it, you won’t let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    “Reading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.”
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

  6. #356
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by taxigirl View Post
    This is just weird.

    Does this woman deserve the death penalty? Is she a threat to others? I don't even really understand what happened.
    No, that does not deserve the death penalty. There was no intent to kill, nor premeditation to murder. The worst crime she is guilty of (imo) is stupidity and cruelty, but murder? No.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  7. #357
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:29 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,102

    Re: Death Penalty

    Yes. The Death Penalty should be used for extreme cases involving murder, rape, molestation or kidnapping.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  8. #358
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:29 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,102

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by taxigirl View Post
    This is just weird.

    Does this woman deserve the death penalty? Is she a threat to others? I don't even really understand what happened.

    Prosecutors seek death penalty in killing of Alabama third-grader - CNN.com
    Later in the story it talks about how the grand mother was out there screaming "Move it! Move it! move it!" like a drill srg. and how the girl was crawling on the ground, crying and begging to be allowed to stop and the adults refused. They didn't even call 911 until the girl had passed out and was unresponsive. Not sure it should be the death penalty but it should be something very severe since this was obscene child abuse at the minimum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  9. #359
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by taxigirl View Post
    there is no "fact" that it is living. Our definition of living may be different or our belief of what constitutes life may be different.
    It is a human organism, it is growing and developing. It is most certainly alive.

    This is a DP thread, if you want to talk about abortion go to the abortion thread, if you want to talk about when life begins you first need to convince me that I need to engage in that argument. When you have formulated your argument PM me.
    I'm addressing a statement you made. You are hardly consistent in saying "killing is always wrong." and then endorse killing for other reasons.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  10. #360
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:29 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,102

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by taxigirl View Post
    I'm not real clear here if you are anti or pro DP. By looking at the post you are responding to I would say you are pro.
    If the bible and the tenets of your belief which the bible organizes are your only (and I include your interpretation of justice within that) justification for the murder of another human being, I only have one thing to say and I will keep saying until someone gets it because killing is wrong, killing is bad. My one thing is this:

    THE BIBLE IS NOT A WEAPON
    I have beliefs other than the bible... does that make killing OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

Page 36 of 82 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •