View Poll Results: Should there be a death penalty?

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    65 47.10%
  • No

    53 38.41%
  • Under certain circumstances, please explain

    20 14.49%
Page 35 of 82 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 819

Thread: Death Penalty

  1. #341
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    ok, so you're clearly offended by my posts.

    you under the impression that I give a ****.

    well that's too bad. cause honestly, I don't.
    I'm not offended. What's there to be offended about? A 5-10 word sentence that really contributes nothing, takes up a post slot, and reveals nothing more than what can already be deciphered by the title of the thread doesn't even have potential to be offensive. Offensive is like a bee that stings you. Your posts are more like the gnat that buzzs in someones ear. You're trying to do something, trying to concentrate, but that stupid gnat just keeps humming in your ear. You know what I'm saying?
    Anyway, can someone on this thread give a good, logical reason for the death penalty? It costs more and doesn't deter. So what's the logic? Besides the "it serves justice" argument, which also makes no sense. The death penalty is the only punishment that is the same as the crime. We don't have the rape penalty or the drug dealer penalty.
    Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger. ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. Thomas Jefferson

  2. #342
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    I'm not offended. What's there to be offended about?....
    I don't know. You tell me.

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    ...Yes, your posts offend almost everyone that reads them and has an IQ over 1. We good Thunder? Alright, off you go!

  3. #343
    Educator O_Guru's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Last Seen
    01-06-13 @ 06:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    758

    Re: Death Penalty

    Should there be a death penalty?

    Yes absolutely, there are crimes and criminals that we'd all be better off without.
    I think the evidence to get the death penalty should be more stringent and the penalty itself expanded.
    PURE STUPIDITY 1.) Glenn Beck doesnt lie. 2.) Obama is Jesus like 3.) Sara Palin is so smart & shes a great speaker. 4.) Obama does just about everything perfect. 5.) Fox doesn' t lean right 6.) Pro-Choice is no different than Pro-Slavery 7.) MSNBC doesn't lean left. 8.) What TSA does is no different than sexual assault & child porn.

  4. #344
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I don't know. You tell me.
    That was a good attempt Thunder. Very good. Though, you overlooked the almost everyone. Almost would mean not everyone but close to it. I would be one of the few who isn't offended by you and views you a an irritant much like the aforementioned gnat. Care to debate any or are you doing your usual. Posting 5-10 words. At least that was 2, 3 word sentences you just posted. You're getting better Thundeeerrrrr.
    Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger. ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. Thomas Jefferson

  5. #345
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    That was a good attempt Thunder. Very good. Though, you overlooked the almost everyone. Almost would mean not everyone but close to it. I would be one of the few who isn't offended by you and views you a an irritant much like the aforementioned gnat. Care to debate any or are you doing your usual. Posting 5-10 words. At least that was 2, 3 word sentences you just posted. You're getting better Thundeeerrrrr.
    um..whatever you say.

  6. #346
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Hare View Post
    The appeals process is far too important to compress into such a short time period, especially when innocent people have been executed having far more opportunity and time to build a defense. Mob rule isn't the answer.
    no one suggested mob rule, and the appeals process can indeed be streamlined to move directly from one trial to the next. Three strikes and you're out.

  7. #347
    Advisor GreenvilleGrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    My version of reality
    Last Seen
    10-05-12 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    566

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by kamikaze483 View Post
    In the case of the death penalty, how can it be argued that adequate justice and revenge are separable? If the punishment is adequate, then it is revenge. If it is inadequate (in some people's opinion) then the punishment is merciful. If it is a Christian's biblical duty to forgive and be merciful, and a large base of society are Christians, and the government is supposed to mirror the sentiment of society in legislation and application of the law, wouldn't it then stand to reason that if the Christians are forgiving and merciful, that the government would reflect that in the criminal justice system?
    Your premise is wrong. If my child misbehaves, and I punish them, am I seeking revenge? No. In that case, I am seeking to deter my child from future poor choices. Punishment can be adequately metered out without an ounce of revenge being present. In fact, inadequate punishment, in the same case, would not be merciful - if the punishment failed to teach about justice and and/or to deter from future poor choices, the child could suffer a much worse fate later on - my lack of punishment would actually be cruelty and/or a lack of care.

    Justice is establishing a rule with some level of measured punishment for breaking the rule. Cheat? - punishment measured by loss of opportunity for the test or class or the harm done to the institution. Steal? - punishment measured by value of item and harm to society for such actions.

    How else can the value of taking a life be adequately measured except with life?

    The Bible very clearly teaches about love and mercy, yes. But it is equally clear about justice. It's the very premise of the need for Christ's sacrifice. The God of the Old Testament and the God of the New Testament are the same.
    The US is an odd ship. The captain yells out when he sees obtacles , but 535 individual propellers do the steering.

  8. #348
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    I'm not offended. What's there to be offended about? A 5-10 word sentence that really contributes nothing, takes up a post slot, and reveals nothing more than what can already be deciphered by the title of the thread doesn't even have potential to be offensive. Offensive is like a bee that stings you. Your posts are more like the gnat that buzz's in someones ear. You're trying to do something, trying to concentrate, but that stupid gnat just keeps humming in your ear. You know what I'm saying?
    Anyway, can someone on this thread give a good, logical reason for the death penalty? Yes, of course....but its neither good , nor logical.Conservatives are noted for living in the past, and in the past, A so-called law breaker had a rough go of things....but this should be well known...nothing new here..It costs more and doesn't deter. So what's the logic? Besides the "it serves justice" argument, which also makes no sense. The death penalty is the only punishment that is the same as the crime. We don't have the rape penalty or the drug dealer penalty.
    Our conservatives also write the laws, but, this too is public info...
    Now we have a President, Barak "Change" Obama and he is discovering that change is anathema to conservatives....and to many so called liberals.
    Note that the more socially advanced states have no death penalty.
    In other states, vengeance rules the day..
    Would you believe, a trillion dollars was spent to execute Osama bin Laden......

  9. #349
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenvilleGrows View Post
    Your premise is wrong. If my child misbehaves, and I punish them, am I seeking revenge? No. In that case, I am seeking to deter my child from future poor choices. Punishment can be adequately metered out without an ounce of revenge being present. but this is very difficult for man to do In fact, inadequate punishment, in the same case, would not be merciful - if the punishment failed to teach about justice and and/or to deter from future poor choices, the child could suffer a much worse fate later on - my lack of punishment would actually be cruelty and/or a lack of care.

    Justice is establishing a rule with some level of measured punishment for breaking the rule. And the same applies to both adults and children ??? Cheat? - punishment measured by loss of opportunity for the test or class or the harm done to the institution. Steal? - punishment measured by value of item and harm to society for such actions.

    How else can the value of taking a life be adequately measured except with life?The value of a man's life cannot be "measured".

    The Bible very clearly teaches about love and mercy, yes. But it is equally clear about justice. It's the very premise of the need for Christ's sacrifice. The God of the Old Testament and the God of the New Testament are the same.
    We need a better balance between mercy and "justice"..
    We need to use a lot more than just a bible to guide us.
    Punishing children without "love" is much the same as vengeance.

  10. #350
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Mensch View Post
    I believe the bold damn near defines pacifism, within a degree or two. You're contradicting yourself.
    Speak to a pastor sometime about it sometime. Perhaps I'm not explaining it correctly.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


Page 35 of 82 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •